1,791 posts in this topic

I read about some people filing a FOIA and have success with it? Not sure about this procedure, but I am going to look into it now.

You can do it here https://www.uscis.gov/records/request-records-through-the-freedom-of-information-act-or-privacy-act

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Cloggie said:

I read about some people filing a FOIA and have success with it? Not sure about this procedure, but I am going to look into it now.

You can do it here https://www.uscis.gov/records/request-records-through-the-freedom-of-information-act-or-privacy-act

I did it on Friday. Hope it will trigger something. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cloggie said:

I received the below message from my local office:

"We researched your case and found that your case is currently in line for processing. We regret that we cannot provide a definitive timeframe on the processing of your application, but assure you that we are committed to the timely processing of applications."

Not sure if it makes any sense to follow up with them...

Their definition of "timely" and mine are VERY different.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
14 minutes ago, orangeal said:

How could this be a possible solution? Please explain

Read in the May 2020 thread (last few pages), some people seem to have had success with it. I didn't understand it at first but if their assumptions are right it could make sense. 

Good point...

I have been at this over 19 months now and the responses I have been given about the delays are absolutely useless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, Cloggie said:

What are the chances filing a FOIA request will actually delay our pending cases?

It very likely won't affect your case at all (positive or negative), the request will be sent to someone who isn't involved in your case at all, someone who will just pull up your scanned A-file and send you a copy. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline
On 11/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, Linamona said:

This is what happened with me, for 560 days I called these fools weekly, no avail until that last time I demanded to speak to the level two officer , I told him what happened and how it's been so long and how basically they are playing with our lives, for the first time ever ever someone took time to look and let me know my file is with the national benefit center and they never seen my file, he told me that he will be contacting them so I should see some resolution within 10 -30 days and although i didn't trust him, it happened. I had exhausted every given point of contact  at that point. My congressman , senator, white house led to no resolution . 

I was absolutely shocked that I got contacted by phone then email for my interview in such short notice. After all this wait though what am I to loose.

Best of luck to you. This is my story and I hope your case results to conclusion soon

Hi. Any tips how to get a real person on the phone? I can't get through the robots.

Timeline
38 minutes ago, keyuree1 said:

Hi. Any tips how to get a real person on the phone? I can't get through the robots.

When the robot asks you for your case number just say "I lost it". You'll get transferred to real person. Works every time. 

You'll be connected with tier 1 officer though. In order to get to level 2 you need to request it. They will open a ticket and you will get a call back within 30 days. 

Edited by Yupibotan

8 hours ago, orangeal said:

How could this be a possible solution? Please explain

At this point, you can try anything in hoping it will trigger these lazy a** officers to look into your application.

My buddy just got his interview letter but he applied 18 months after me lol Yet USCIS claims "applications are processed in order they are received". Also stop wasting your time contacting ombudsman, congressman, senators, etc... you are better off talking to a brick wall than communicating with them.

The logic in filing a FOIA request is this: 

1. N400 is an immigration benefit application, it is not a right

2. FOIA is the right to request information from any federal agency. 

The main predicament with April/May filers is that USCIS does not have their paper A-file because those files are somewhere in the National Archive. N400 applicants, the USCIS, senators and ombudsmen cannot compel NARA to expedite sending the A-file. However, if an applicant uses their right to request the A-file, then NARA must send it to the USCIS, which in this case acts as an intermediary between the applicant and NARA. As a result, the USCIS receives the applicant's A-file and can no longer claim that it cannot adjudicate the case because it doesn't have the A-file. 

Another reason to file a FOIA request is to have the A-file in case this matter with April/May filers becomes a class action suit. I rolled this idea in a different topic but it didn't receive a lot of attention. If there are 30-40 people that are ready to join the suit it could be possible to at least certify a class action. The class action will attract much more attention from the press than our individual stories. Maybe then the USCIS will take us seriously and end this 19-month ordeal.

Edited by Libertate

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... and who will not become a public charge!

Libertate explains our predicament very clearly. I am now also considering filing a FOIA request. How do we proceed from here?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.