Greenbaum

APRIL 2020 K-1 NOA2 to NVC to EMBASSY

600 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, national said:

I heard that you need NVC case number in order to apply for DS-160. But after filling it out I didn't notice where I can enter it. Only noticed USCIS receipt/petition number to be provided. Any thoughts?

There was a change awhile back where they are using the WAC# now and not the case number. So your OK.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Background:  Our I-797 (aka NOA2) is dated April 21.  We have not gotten any communication from the NVC.  I followed the  instructions for registering our Email address with the NVC after we got the I-797, but all I got was a response via email saying that they didn't have our case and thus would not do anything with the email address I supplied.  They told me to wait...so I have waited...today, I look on the NVC website and its says:

Current case creation time frame: As of 1-JUN-2020, we are working on cases that were received from USCIS on 21-MAY-2020.

Once USCIS approves your I-797, they will send your case to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. At NVC, we will create your visa case and enter the data from your petition into the system. After creating your case, we will send you instructions for processing, as well as a Welcome Letter that includes your Case Number and Invoice ID. You will use these numbers to log into our Consular Electronic Application Center (https://ceac.state.gov). 

From this, it seems like they should have already processed our case into the NVC system?  But we haven't gotten any communication...

I'm on hold now for 30 minutes with NVC today and will ask them...but since I'm sitting her waiting for them to answer, I thought I'd check here and see what other folks are having happen with their April I-797 cases?

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
12 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

Background:  Our I-797 (aka NOA2) is dated April 21.  We have not gotten any communication from the NVC.  I followed the  instructions for registering our Email address with the NVC after we got the I-797, but all I got was a response via email saying that they didn't have our case and thus would not do anything with the email address I supplied.  They told me to wait...so I have waited...today, I look on the NVC website and its says:

Current case creation time frame: As of 1-JUN-2020, we are working on cases that were received from USCIS on 21-MAY-2020.

Once USCIS approves your I-797, they will send your case to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. At NVC, we will create your visa case and enter the data from your petition into the system. After creating your case, we will send you instructions for processing, as well as a Welcome Letter that includes your Case Number and Invoice ID. You will use these numbers to log into our Consular Electronic Application Center (https://ceac.state.gov). 

From this, it seems like they should have already processed our case into the NVC system?  But we haven't gotten any communication...

I'm on hold now for 30 minutes with NVC today and will ask them...but since I'm sitting her waiting for them to answer, I thought I'd check here and see what other folks are having happen with their April I-797 cases?

Thanks.

Mine was approved by March 31st, we haven't received anything neither because NVC is not shipping cases to closed US embassies, they're just gonna give you the case number and the receipt number but that's it, I've been waiting and waiting, in the meantime I had already done the ds-160 form, you can have your loved one to do this at any time as long as you get the case number from NVC today, it's a waiting game sadly

Timeline
3 minutes ago, RoxyJen said:

Mine was approved by March 31st, we haven't received anything neither because NVC is not shipping cases to closed US embassies, they're just gonna give you the case number and the receipt number but that's it, I've been waiting and waiting, in the meantime I had already done the ds-160 form, you can have your loved one to do this at any time as long as you get the case number from NVC today, it's a waiting game sadly

I very, very nice lady finally answered my call to NVC now.  She confirmed that our I-797/I-129F file had been received by NVC and she gave me my case number and invoice number.

I asked why I had not received either email nor physical mail about their receipt of the file, and she was surprised to hear that.  We then confirmed that they do have my correct address and email.  So...her guess was that maybe they didn't bother to send me that confirmation of receipt and creation of case number since the file was being held and not sent to the embassy.  She was guessing, but she then said that I *should* get communication when the file does ship to the embassy.  Of course she repeated the phrase we all know about how embassies are not processing yet and they don't know when they will...

Anyways, I'm just happy to have the case and invoice numbers.  Now I will go back to waiting...

Timeline

So I don't have (because they never sent it) my "welcome letter" from NVC.  Thus I am unsure what to do next (now that NVC has our case).  I tried CEAC and  to be thorough I first clicked the box for "non immigrant visa" it said "invalid case number" somewhat as expected for our non-immigrant/immigrant hybrid I-129F, so I then clicked "immigrant visa" and it seemed to recognize the case number and then it brought up a link to the "6 steps" we are supposed to follow, but to me that sounds like six steps for something other than a fiance visa?

Can someone help me? 

Can anyone share a copy of thier welcome letter (with personal details blocked out of course)?

Also, when I put our case into CEAC all I got was a pop up box that said we need to file out a DS-160.  Nothing about status or any other details.  Nothing else to click.  

Thanks.

Edited by David and Anna

30 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

So, I don't have (because they never sent it) my "welcome letter" from NVC.  Thus, I am unsure what to do next (now that NVC has our case).  I tried CEAC and  to be thorough I first clicked the box for "nonimmigrant visa" it said "invalid case number" somewhat as expected for our non-immigrant/immigrant hybrid I-129F, so I then clicked "immigrant visa" and it seemed to recognize the case number and then it brought up a link to the "6 steps" we are supposed to follow, but to me that sounds like six steps for something other than a fiancé visa?

Ignore the "six" steps as they are for immigrant visa applicants like a CR-1. 

Can someone help me? 

I can help you.

Can anyone share a copy of thier welcome letter (with personal details blocked out of course)? 

Case number from NVC is needed for medical examination along with address in US, where she is going to live. Your fiancée will need to know them. I'm not aware that they require an NVC letter. Some print off their confirmation page once they make thier interview appointment. The letter will not be sent to you until your case file is submitted to the embassy and right now there isn't an embassy that has requested the resumption of cases being sent to them.

Also, when I put our case into CEAC all I got was a pop-up box that said we need to file out a DS-160.  Nothing about status or any other details.  Nothing else to click.

Thanks.

You'll get nothing from CEAC "for next steps". There is a PDF file on the first page first posting that outlines everything that you will need to know at this stage that you are in. It's where I discuss every question you brought up and what to do.  I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Ig nor the "six" steps as they are for immigrant visa applicants like a CR-1. 

I can help you.

Case number from NVC is needed for medical examination along with address in US, where she is going to live. Your fiancée will need to know them. I'm not aware that they require an NVC letter. Some print off their confirmation page once they make thier interview appointment.

You'll get nothing from CEAC "for next steps". There is a PDF file on the first page first posting that outlines everything that you will need to know at this stage that you are in. It's where I discuss every question you brought up and what to do.  I'm sure you will find it helpful.

As always "thank you"!  I do have your tips document and keep it open pretty much the entire time when I'm dealing with this process.  I was simply wondering what the "welcome letter says" since I don't have a copy...maybe someone will post a pic of theirs with the personal details blocked out.

From your document, it seems the only step that we can/should do now - given embassy closed, no P3 incoming, no interview to schedule yet, is to go ahead and complete the DS-160.  And "prep" our materials that we expect the embassy will want beyond that.  We will proceed on those.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Just got here and found the thread! Our petition was approved in April. To date, though, not a word, welcome email, etc. Just the text message and I called for the case number.

3 hours ago, Chris & Lina said:

Just got here and found the thread! Our petition was approved in April. To date, though, not a word, welcome email, etc. Just the text message and I called for the case number.

Welcome to the club. Be sure to tip the wait and bar staff. Go to the first page of this thread and download the PDF file in the first post. It has tips, tricks, and hacks to help you along the way and will answer most of your questions, this way you aren't repeating the same question that others ask at this stage. Good luck and stay engaged.  

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi @Greenbaum Our case is yet to be shipped to Nigeria due to the pandemic and it’s expiring by the end of July and the appointment page isn’t showing any dates. 

Do you think USCIS will automatically extend the validity period Or we should notify them by email for extension?  

9 hours ago, Olami said:

Hi @Greenbaum Our case is yet to be shipped to Nigeria due to the pandemic and it’s expiring by the end of July and the appointment page isn’t showing any dates. 

Do you think USCIS will automatically extend the validity period Or we should notify them by email for extension?  

A fiancé visa must be issued within four months from the date of approval of the fiancé petition by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). If your appointment is later then the validity date, bring a signed and dated letter from your U.S. fiancé(e) stating that you both remain legally free to marry and that you intend to get married within 90 days of your arrival. E-mail or copies are acceptable.

9 FAM 41.81 N6.2 Validity of a K-1 Petition
(CT:VISA-2165; 08-21-2014)

An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action and may be revalidated by the consular officer any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

A fiancé visa must be issued within four months from the date of approval of the fiancé petition by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). If your appointment is later then the validity date, bring a signed and dated letter from your U.S. fiancé(e) stating that you both remain legally free to marry and that you intend to get married within 90 days of your arrival. E-mail or copies are acceptable.

9 FAM 41.81 N6.2 Validity of a K-1 Petition
(CT:VISA-2165; 08-21-2014)

An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action and may be revalidated by the consular officer any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States. 

Thanks for your contribution and help always. Best regards.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

It does we are in the waiting game indefinitely.

My fiance is in Japan, and they still have a ban for US citizens.  Only option for us to see each other is to go to an open country, which I'm having trouble finding, or she can try coming here on esta.

Does anyone think her coming here would be an issue with customs, given where we are with the k1 visa process?

3 hours ago, A.j. said:

It does we are in the waiting game indefinitely.

My fiance is in Japan, and they still have a ban for US citizens.  Only option for us to see each other is to go to an open country, which I'm having trouble finding, or she can try coming here on esta.

Does anyone think her coming here would be an issue with customs, given where we are with the k1 visa process?

Processing on a K-1 visa and using a ESTA visa is not a problem. People are reporting here on VJ that they are using their ESTA it all the time with little or no problems. Just don't abuse it and you should be fine.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, ClioNicole said:

NOA2: 4/27/2020

NVC Case Assigned: 5/20/2020

Dang my NOA2 date is the same and also from the Cali Service Center. Still no record of receipt from the NVC. I hope they didn't lose my packet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.