dpx

Canadian fiancee's visa interview cancelled; wedding already planned

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You are new here.  None of this has a shred of truth.  Please don't just make stuff up.

Hey Im sorry, I wasnt aware that lenth of time on this site equates to an education in immigration law. Im guessing the points next to your name is the amount pf extra credit you earned? Unless you have a degree in immigration law, your expertise is as good as mine.

I'm not sure how a degree in immigration law would impact anything here. It's both not legal advice (per the TOS, no legal advice is contained here) and the topic of what are red flags or not is not a matter of law.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt anybody would just sit around for months on end, the problem of course with the K1 is that it coul be a very long time before you can go back to tie up any loose ends so if you have any, well you need to get them sorted before you travel.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, BandQ said:

Hey Im sorry, I wasnt aware that lenth of time on this site equates to an education in immigration law. Im guessing the points next to your name is the amount pf extra credit you earned? Unless you have a degree in immigration law, your expertise is as good as mine.

I have been reading this site for four years.  Many here on this very thread have been on this site for YEARS LONGER than me.  And more importantly, we have been through actual immigration processes.  You appear to be waiting on an I-129f petition approval. 

It doesn't help your credibility here to make up random assertions about US immigration.

1 hour ago, BandQ said:

Honestly though, it's a little mundane of a fact.

It's not a fact.

Filed: Timeline
18 hours ago, BandQ said:

I thought it was strange when I heard about it too. It would make sense that a couple months of planning and buying plane tickets would be necessary. My guess is that if the petitioner and the beneficiary have the means to travel right away, cost is no issue, have no major plans for a wedding only a couthouse wedding, and have no obligations to fulfill first, why wouldn't they travel right away? Why wait 5 or 6 months to be together when there's no loose ends to tie up? It was a video I watched about an immigration lawyer showing possible red flags for a followup interview after marriage. Ill see if i can find it. Honestly though, it's a little mundane of a fact. So i wouldn't stress about it.

There are all kinds of reasons -- some serious and some frivolous, but all important to the specific individual -- why even the people you describe might wait to travel.  They might want to: make final visits to family members; time their entry to be able to marry during a specific month for sentimental reasons; lose weight or grow out a bad haircut before they see their fiancee.  Immigration officers don't care. As others said, as long as the visa is valid, they're good.  Likewise, it doesn't matter if they marry on day one after entry or day 89 -- people have their own reasons for decisions they make.

A video from a lawyer often includes their personal opinions, ideas, and speculations on why questions were asked or decisions made by immigration officials -- that does not make them facts, mundane or otherwise.   For example, immigration lawyers will, unfortunately, propose all manner of theories to make things seem more difficult or confusing enough that people think they need to hire a lawyer to get them through a process they can do on their own.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***All sides are to cease and desist with the bickering or appropriate action will be taken.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

On 3/26/2020 at 4:42 AM, BandQ said:

I feel that everyone is being way too harsh on you in this thread. It seems like everyone is too busy ripping on you about what you should or should not have done to actually answer your question. Whats done is done and the fact that you managed to get everything planed so well in those 90 days to begin with is impressive despite the risks. No one could have predicted a pandemic and no one should blame you for it too.

So to answer your question in the most polite way possible, there no recourse given the situation. Immigration only cares that you are getting married within the 90 days of entry. Luckly though, they dont have to enter right away. I think it's 6 months from the visa being issued that they have to enter the US plus another 90 days to to submit for AOS. That is after you already have to wait for a new interview. Considering that most of the wedding was planned to begine with its possible to be able to reschedule everything at a more predictable date after the visa is issued.

Be aware though, the longer your fiancee takes to enter the country, the more likely immigration may ask you about it during your followup interview. Personally, I would have a courthouse wedding asap to lock things in since luck doesn't seem to be on our side. That gives you guys more time to plan the wedding ceremony better. If a courthouse wedding doesnt seem to float your boat, you could try to have an elopement style wedding with just the 2 of you and a witness. Me and my fiencee were thinking of doing that on this beautiful mountain side north of us, then having a actual ceremony for our 1 year.

Thank you for your comment and for your understanding! It's nice to hear some positivity. We are becoming more accepting of the situation now and are willing to wait. Also, for what it's worth, I didn't mind your comment about being asked about traveling later during the interview. I just know for us that even with 9 months total, it's incredibly difficult planning a wedding with one person stuck in one country for 6 of those months, if we were to maximize the time. We actually exercised restraint in picking a wedding date, which we did a month after the initial USCIS approval. Save the dates went out a little after that, and the wedding invites weren't even sent until we had already been past the initial NVC step and had correspondence from the consulate. So we did our best. I know neither of us wanted her to wait 6 months to travel, so that seemed unrealistic to us. Thanks for suggesting a courthouse wedding - we think it's best to wait for that until after the K1 interview and approval though.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:28 AM, Leah88 said:

Hi there, 

I got my visa in February and planned to move on the 1st of May. I am currently not expecting for that to happen. I did not make any wedding plans, however I did quit my job and cancelled my lease. The pandemic screwed with my plans, and I do not know, if I can travel before my visa expires.

I didn’t quit my job before I had my visa in hand, and I didn’t tell my landlord either. However, I found myself in a miserable situation, when the travel ban and pandemic struck 2 weeks ago. 
i had to ask my boss, to take me back (keeping in mind LOADS of people are losing their jobs right now in Germany), and I had to have multiple discussions with my landlord to extend my lease for a month. What I want to tell you is, if I were you, I would push back the wedding you planned. I don’t think it is going to happen, but no one on here will be able to tell you, no one can expect what’s going to happen at this point.
i understand where you’re coming from and why you made your plans the way you did. No one should judge you, because no one could have predicted that the whole world would shut down. 
I am going to wait things out, hoping and praying for everything to be over soon, so we all will be able to go one with our lives.

for now, I would suggest for you to wait and not make any rush decisions that you might regret in the future. You’re really close to getting your visa, have some patience for now! If you do the cr1 you’ll have to start from zero.
I hope you and your family will be fine, and I have a lot of respect for everyone who is fighting the virus! So good luck and much health and happiness to you!!! 

Hi Leah88, thank you for your understanding and for your encouragement! The earth really is closed, isn't it?! This such a frustrating and testing time now for everyone. As mentioned above, we're becoming more accepting of the reality and also seeing the unexpected silver linings that are coming from this situation as well, so thank God. We don't want to pursue a CR1 either, so we'll wait this out for now. I really hope things pan out for you as well with a new travel date soon. I'm hoping that no more than a month from now we're all back to some semblance of normalcy, even if the world will seem different then. My best wishes to your family, and stay safe!

On 3/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, JL & ML said:

Hi dpx, 

My fiancée and I also took the risk of planning a religious wedding and ceremony under K-1, since our faith is the most important thing in our lives and is the reason we met in the first place. We applied for K-1 in May of last year and planned our wedding for this year in May, to give ourselves as much time as possible. It was very difficult being in long-distance relationship for nearly two years but we managed as best as we could. Now with churches and county offices closed, this throws a lot of uncertainty into the mix.

I sense there is a lot of bitterness and frustration around the present situation and it's hard for so, so many people. But just so you know you're not the only one who puts great importance onto faith matters. Pay no attention to the "serves you right" responses you're getting. Two people love each other and want to unite until death and share their lives, and are trying to get this done while respecting all the dizzyingly complex laws of their respective countries and getting through bureaucracy as best as they can. That's all there is to it. It's a very, very hard situation to navigate and you deserve credit.

Things will work out somehow! 

Hi JL & ML, thank you for this very nice comment. Faith is really big for us, and we don't consider living together and starting a life until we've been married before the altar. So, it's uplifting to hear from others out there who share this as well. Blessings to you and yours, and I hope that this pandemic is not affecting you to any great extent.

Filed: Other Timeline

Cancelled interviews can be rescheduled to after the travel ban (at least it's like that in Paris). I rescheduled mine to late june as I don't think any of this will be over in may...fingers crossed for june but nothing's for certain these days. But at least I have a new deadline. Obviously if the interview happens we'll show up with a letter requesting an extension of our petition validity (I read that it's the process).

If you got this far in the K1 process, my opinion is it's better to wait than plan on getting married and apply for a CR1...
I would reach out to the wedding venue right away and ask if given the unprecedented unforeseeable nature of the situation, you can reschedule the event easily or not! 

This really sucks for all of us trying to make long distance work 😢
Take care everyone...and hang in there

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
16 hours ago, dpx said:

Thank you for your comment and for your understanding! It's nice to hear some positivity. We are becoming more accepting of the situation now and are willing to wait. Also, for what it's worth, I didn't mind your comment about being asked about traveling later during the interview. I just know for us that even with 9 months total, it's incredibly difficult planning a wedding with one person stuck in one country for 6 of those months, if we were to maximize the time. We actually exercised restraint in picking a wedding date, which we did a month after the initial USCIS approval. Save the dates went out a little after that, and the wedding invites weren't even sent until we had already been past the initial NVC step and had correspondence from the consulate. So we did our best. I know neither of us wanted her to wait 6 months to travel, so that seemed unrealistic to us. Thanks for suggesting a courthouse wedding - we think it's best to wait for that until after the K1 interview and approval though.

Hi Leah88, thank you for your understanding and for your encouragement! The earth really is closed, isn't it?! This such a frustrating and testing time now for everyone. As mentioned above, we're becoming more accepting of the reality and also seeing the unexpected silver linings that are coming from this situation as well, so thank God. We don't want to pursue a CR1 either, so we'll wait this out for now. I really hope things pan out for you as well with a new travel date soon. I'm hoping that no more than a month from now we're all back to some semblance of normalcy, even if the world will seem different then. My best wishes to your family, and stay safe!

Hi JL & ML, thank you for this very nice comment. Faith is really big for us, and we don't consider living together and starting a life until we've been married before the altar. So, it's uplifting to hear from others out there who share this as well. Blessings to you and yours, and I hope that this pandemic is not affecting you to any great extent.

Hoping and praying it is going to be over soon 🙏🏽 Thank you for your kind words! Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon, and best wishes to you guys!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.