SandyD

U.S. suspending visa services worldwide due to coronavirus - State Department

30 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, SandyD said:

Saw this today.

What does this mean? If I am immigrant visa interview is that going to be cancelled? I never got email from dept of state I just saw this on the news and on consulate website. Just wondering if immigrant visa is considered part of this

Yes.  All consular services are suspended.

Consular shut down..

My interview was scheduled to happen on April, but the consular office saying all scheduled interviews are cancelled and they will let us know the newly scheduled date soon.

I believe even though they're saying 'soon', they got no concrete time frame ..

1 hour ago, SandyD said:

But we never got an email. Shouldn't we get an email to confirm it is suspended? 

Should - but there might not be anyone to clear the calendars and trigger the emails.

1 hour ago, SandyD said:

April is long ways from now.

It's next week.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If all goes well maybe in June. 

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Embassies and Consulates are subject to two sets of laws - the country of the embassy, and the municipal laws where the buildings are located. The buildings have to meet things like fire codes, occupancy permits, etc. So if the head country is suspending services, then they can't open. But if the head country is still operating but the city in which the building is located is under emergency orders, the building would still not be able to open and operate. That's why they can't post definitive dates of when consular processing will continue. Since the US lockdown is continuing until April 30, 2020, the embassy might reopen that date provided that it's located in an area that will reopen on that date. If you're in Canada,  for example, I can tell you right now that Montreal will not reopen until maybe June at the earliest. So you have to watch for both the US reopen date and the local, municipal reopen date. Sorry. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

This will all be country-specific and the consulate will always follow USA procedures. I can´t imagine any consulate will open before June/July to do face-to-face interviews (even if it´s through the glass)... This is purely my personal opinion. 

On 3/30/2020 at 5:59 AM, CGs_Mother said:

Embassies and Consulates are subject to two sets of laws - the country of the embassy, and the municipal laws where the buildings are located. The buildings have to meet things like fire codes, occupancy permits, etc. So if the head country is suspending services, then they can't open. But if the head country is still operating but the city in which the building is located is under emergency orders, the building would still not be able to open and operate. That's why they can't post definitive dates of when consular processing will continue. Since the US lockdown is continuing until April 30, 2020, the embassy might reopen that date provided that it's located in an area that will reopen on that date. If you're in Canada,  for example, I can tell you right now that Montreal will not reopen until maybe June at the earliest. So you have to watch for both the US reopen date and the local, municipal reopen date. Sorry. 

Except in this particular case, it is the state department pulling diplomats and their families from overseas posts and repatriating them to the United States.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jorgedig you are right. My case is still ' in transit' after 17 days. There were other two people I chat with that had their case 'ready' about a week after it was forwarded from NVC

We also tried contacting the embassy to want to make sure that our case is forwarded but no avail. We are concern we want to make sure it is with the embassy.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/dhl-slammed-by-skyrocketing-shipping-needs-during-coronavirus-crisis/ (It is not most reassuring right now when DHL is facing logistics issues themselves). We feel that we don't even know what to do. NVC told us that it is out of their hands and refer to the embassy and embassy is not replying. Feeling stuck and trying not to think about it but it is hard when the status remains the same.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

@Ryceryce I’d honestly try not to worry about not hearing anything from the embassy/consulate until they’ve started picking up routine processing again. With most of them currently barely staffed and only processing emergencies, paired with the amount of emails they are surely receiving regarding non-emergency issues, I can imagine they simply don’t have the (wo-)manpower to reply to requests that aren’t labeled as time critical :( 

"One day, the plane ticket will be one way."

• Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany
  • Wedding: 07/13/2018
  • I-130 NOA1: 09/14/2018
  • I-130 approval date according to online update: 09/05/2019
  • I-130 NOA2 received in the mail: 09/09/2019
  • I-130 approval as per NOA2: 09/04/2019
  • Sent to DOS: 09/13/2019
  • NVC Case Number received: 10/15/2019
  • Documents Submitted to NVC: 12/25/2019
  • DQ: 02/26/2020
  • IL: 03/11/2020
  • Medical: 03/19/2020
  • ID: 04/07/2020 <- cancelled by Corona
  • ID: 05/27/2020 —> approved 

@ghostfoxgoddess Thank you so much for your reassurance. I think it's a combination of a lockdown and other life factors happening simultaneously that is creating a lot of anxiety. I really appreciate your reassurance.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/14/asia/women-government-leaders-coronavirus-hnk-intl/index.html (we need more wo-menpower) ;)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

@Ryceryce believe me, I fully understand feeling anxious and uncertain - we’re all in the same boat here.

Just seeing how swamped my own work is right now, I - while hoping for an interview reschedule 74736462726368272 times a day - understand their issues with basically being understaffed and not being able to meet everyone’s expections/wishes/need for reassurances/whateverkindofrequest, even if they wanted to. The other people you’ve talked to may have just already heard something because of the specific moment in time their case came in, coincidentally having the file land on someone’s desk/in someone’s inbox who - at that very moment in time - had the capacity to do what it took for their system to trigger a notification/status change. 
I know it’s way easier said than done, but all we can do is our best to be patient, reminding ourselves that they may only have (random numbers here) 2 employees currently working for every 10 they would otherwise have, with those 2/10 prioritizing what meets time critical/emergency criteria 99% of their workday, using the other 1% to reply to requests/regular or administrative work items as much as they can, with the rest of routine processing matters unfortunately having to wait until at least part of the other 8/10 can return to work :)

"One day, the plane ticket will be one way."

• Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany
  • Wedding: 07/13/2018
  • I-130 NOA1: 09/14/2018
  • I-130 approval date according to online update: 09/05/2019
  • I-130 NOA2 received in the mail: 09/09/2019
  • I-130 approval as per NOA2: 09/04/2019
  • Sent to DOS: 09/13/2019
  • NVC Case Number received: 10/15/2019
  • Documents Submitted to NVC: 12/25/2019
  • DQ: 02/26/2020
  • IL: 03/11/2020
  • Medical: 03/19/2020
  • ID: 04/07/2020 <- cancelled by Corona
  • ID: 05/27/2020 —> approved 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 4/17/2020 at 7:07 PM, ghostfoxgoddess said:

@Ryceryce believe me, I fully understand feeling anxious and uncertain - we’re all in the same boat here.

Just seeing how swamped my own work is right now, I - while hoping for an interview reschedule 74736462726368272 times a day - understand their issues with basically being understaffed and not being able to meet everyone’s expections/wishes/need for reassurances/whateverkindofrequest, even if they wanted to. The other people you’ve talked to may have just already heard something because of the specific moment in time their case came in, coincidentally having the file land on someone’s desk/in someone’s inbox who - at that very moment in time - had the capacity to do what it took for their system to trigger a notification/status change. 
I know it’s way easier said than done, but all we can do is our best to be patient, reminding ourselves that they may only have (random numbers here) 2 employees currently working for every 10 they would otherwise have, with those 2/10 prioritizing what meets time critical/emergency criteria 99% of their workday, using the other 1% to reply to requests/regular or administrative work items as much as they can, with the rest of routine processing matters unfortunately having to wait until at least part of the other 8/10 can return to work :)

The last update I received USCIS field offices and international offices are preparing to go to full operations June 4. I am assuming that also means the Embassies as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.