jdelarosa11

US Citizen filing taxes with spouse (first time immigrant) -- What could be best tax filing status?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I need help in figuring out what could be the best Tax filing status in regards with our situation.

I am a US Citizen, self employed and have US income for 2019, while my husband is a First Time Immigrant here in the US, he entered on January 2020.

My question is can I file Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) with my husband for the Tax Year 2019? Or I have to file Married Filing Separately (MFS) because my husband is not present in the US in the year 2019 and no US income?

Thank you guys in advance!

Edited by jdelarosa11

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You can file MFJ or MFS. MFJ will likely give you lots of tax credits depending on your husbands foreign income in 2019.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

@arken 

Hi Arken! 

Thanks so much for your reply!

My husband doesn't have foreign income either on 2019.

We really want to file Married Filing Jointly, but we aren't sure if we are eligible because my husband's not present nor have his SSN in 2019? 

(He just entered US this Jan. 2020, and got his SSN on February)

Also we're a little concerned if there are rules like (example: An Immigrant spouse need to be present and have SSN for the tax year before a US Citizen can file MFJ)

We tried searching and haven't got to see some articles or instructions about our situation yet :( but would highly appreciate your opinion!

Thanks again!! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is for your tax preparer to decide. n immigration website is not a good place to tax advice.  Every one situation is different depending on income, deductions, and other financial info. 

9 minutes ago, jdelarosa11 said:

@arken 

Hi Arken! 

We really want to file Married Filing Jointly, but we aren't sure if we are eligible because my husband's not present nor have his SSN in 2019? 

Also we're a little concerned if there are rules like (example: An Immigrant spouse need to be present and have SSN for the tax year before a US Citizen can file MFJ)

We tried searching and haven't got to see some articles or instructions about our situation yet :( but would highly appreciate your opinion!

You can file MFJ if you want but you will need an ITIN or SSN. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
47 minutes ago, jdelarosa11 said:

@arken 

Hi Arken! 

There are no such rules and that’s why you can’t find it even if you search.

An example: A USC living abroad is required to file tax return based on the income. If he married in that country, he can file MFJ by applying for wife’s ITIN concurrently. 

Since your husband already has the SSN, just file MFJ.

I filed MFS for two years before my wife immigrated here. Then i amended those last two years MFS to MFJ.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, jdelarosa11 said:

@arken 

Hi Arken! 

Here’s your rules—IRS Publication 519 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

The first part is determining if he is a resident alien by the greencard test (nope) or the physical presence test (nope). So just skip all that until you get to Page 9. Find: Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident 

It starts off with—

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other spouse is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident. 
Keep reading to learn you must send a signed statement choosing for him to be a resident alien for tax filing purposes

ahaha

Timeline
1 hour ago, jdelarosa11 said:

@Wuozopo Thanks so much!! Would you happen to know if it's possible to attach the signed statement when e-filing (turbotax or credit karma)? 

There is no way to include the statement with TurboTax or the other do-it-yourself software.  You have to print the return, both sign the 1040,  and mail it. TurboTax prints a page showing where to mail it based on your address. 

Hi @arken

Thank you for responding!

When you filed MFJ for the first time, did you have to include a signed statement by both spouses? 
The statement that's being referred on the below

Yes, we included the statement the first year. We wrote something ourselves that included what that page references and both signed. I can’t see whatever you attached. They are blank.

Timeline

@Wuozopo I see. Do you think if we paper-file the 2019 return as MFJ with the "signed statement to treat spouse as US resident" in the coming weeks, can we still qualify for the $2400 stimulus check?
(By the way for 2018, my filing status was MFS)

This is all I found

Will the government look at my 2018 return if I file my 2019 return today? 

The government has not announced a cut-off date for looking at 2018 returns. What this means is, if you file your 2019 return today or soon, it is not yet clear whether if they will be looking at your 2018 return or your 2019 return. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.