cali2bali

Well This is Embarrassing

28 posts in this topic

A divorce in Indonesia is not going to happen especially since we were married in  a Catholic church. they will not annul. I have tried to get a answer from USCIS regarding her whereabouts and whatever happened with my case. I haven't had a response ever.

1 hour ago, cali2bali said:

so , lets move on...lets assume she never filed in Sweden or My filing never got completed. Now what? Can I get it annulled now?

The marriage needs to be dissolved. Whether that is by annulment or divorce doesn't matter. It just needs to be dissolved before anything else marriage-based can possibly move forward.

@Lemonslice actually polygamy is practiced here. its quite common

For clarity, "practiced" or is actually legal?

2 hours ago, cali2bali said:

My fear is that my marriage here in Indonesia is not valid, but according to the paperwork we are.

The paperwork is only as valid as the information to obtain it was, and local laws.

If I fly to country X today and say I am single, I can probably get married. Specifics differ across countries, but just claiming to not be married is often sufficient (as there is no way to actually prove it).

If the marriage license states that you were not married at the time and you were, it may not actually be legal.

If polygamy is legal, this may mean the marriage is still legal (Edit: but not recognized by USCIS still!).

That said, you noted you were married in a Catholic church, and I pretty certain they do not engage in or support polygamy. So to me, that implies that there was a claim that you were not married prior to the marriage. Which may or may not have actually been true.

At this point, you need professional assistance to get this all sorted out and back on track IMO. USCIS will require evidence that the first marriage was legally dissolved. USCIS cannot recognize a second (concurrent) spouse.

Main points are to:

* Verify if the first marriage was dissolved or not.

* If so, time to check the dates and discuss next steps with the attorney. This may or may not mean dissolving your most recent marriage and marrying again.

* If not, you have to dissolve that marriage. Then you will need to dissolve your current marriage and remarry.

A divorce in Indonesia is not going to happen especially since we were married in  a Catholic church. they will not annul. I have tried to get a answer from USCIS regarding her whereabouts and whatever happened with my case. I haven't had a response ever.

USCIS won't give you information on her case. Her location, status, etc., is no longer your concern to them.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

2 hours ago, cali2bali said:

Can anyone recommend a good detective , or know a good way to find my 1st wife?

This might sound a little silly, but maybe try taking up membership with ansestry.com while you look for a detective..it will search all databases (public records) etc.. provided you know her name, a few minor details etc you might get lucky with leads to marriage divorce decree locations it’s a starting point 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Ok so Im in Sweden and my husband is from here and to my knowledge you can not find her official records if she lives here or her married status unless you know her Swedish Personal Number and you look it up into the Tax Agency. You wouldn't by chance know her's 20 Years later would you? 

Aso there's a handy website for people who live in Sweden to know their phone numbers, age and address let me ask my husband for it and I'll link it to you later ok? You could try entering her name and seeing if she is still in Sweden. 

Edited by OrihimeandIchigo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Also try this to see if she is in the USA currently. It's pretty accurate sometimes it hasn't updated the newest register residence though but over all you would find out where she lived at last and track her from there. And sometimes it also list if they are married and their spouse's name also. 

https://www.whitepages.com/

Edited by OrihimeandIchigo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, cali2bali said:

@Lemonslice what if my wife filed for divorce in another country? Finding her should be my first priority. If someone filed in Sweden, wouldn't they still have to file it in California for it to be Valid? 

No, you only have to file where you currently reside, not where the marriage took place

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** several posts removed for personal attacks, bickering, and telling others not to post.  Thread locked as Op got the correct, legal answer. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Well This is Embarrassing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.