cali2bali

Well This is Embarrassing

28 posts in this topic

I heard what I am about to share is common, but I have never heard anyone share about it. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. My first marriage took place in California in 1999 with a Swedish national. She ended up disappearing on me shortly after that. I searched for a while trying to locate her to file for an annulment, but had no success. I reported her to USCIS for fraud Via email etc. and eventually thought I had placed a public ad as well as submit a thorough attempt at trying to locate her. Life went on, in fact I was married a few years after that thinking we were divorced.....two more times , and divorced twice. I have 2 divorce decrees. I am now happily married with the right woman "finally". My current wife is Indonesian, we were married in a catholic church, our paperwork here is good. But for USCIS , I will have problems if I can not find that first decree. I have called all the courts in California, ALL OF THEM. There is no record of the divorce. I have tried to search for (removed) for 20 years now on and off and still zero trace of her besides a old email , telling a monk she will be going back to Europe in 2005. I am now awaiting for a lawyer to give me a number of a person to tell me exactly what to do , but I figured I  would see what kind of response I'd get in here. I am in the market for a divorce lawyer, or a detective, or any answers to help me solve this cold case. My fear is that my marriage here in Indonesia is not valid, but according to the paperwork we are. I used to say, its just a piece of paper, well....that little piece of paper is vital to my life. I can not move forward with CR1or Ir1 until this is resolved. We have been married for two years in Bali, I am about to obtain a 5 year KITAS here. If someone here knows a good lawyer or detective, please private message me the information. Or advice. Thank You. Will I have to re-marry, or can I get the annulment after all these years and I will still be considered married in Indonesia? And will USCIS accept my marriage after an annulment was made after our marriage?

Edited by Ontarkie
removed personal information

11 minutes ago, cali2bali said:

I heard what I am about to share is common, but I have never heard anyone share about it. I am hoping someone can give me some advice. My first marriage took place in California in 1999 with a Swedish national. She ended up disappearing on me shortly after that. I searched for a while trying to locate her to file for an annulment, but had no success. I reported her to USCIS for fraud Via email etc. and eventually thought I had placed a public ad as well as submit a thorough attempt at trying to locate her. Life went on, in fact I was married a few years after that thinking we were divorced.....two more times , and divorced twice. I have 2 divorce decrees. I am now happily married with the right woman "finally". My current wife is Indonesian, we were married in a catholic church, our paperwork here is good. But for USCIS , I will have problems if I can not find that first decree. I have called all the courts in California, ALL OF THEM. There is no record of the divorce. I have tried to search for Amarawadee Lily Boonperm for 20 years now on and off and still zero trace of her besides a old email , telling a monk she will be going back to Europe in 2005. I am now awaiting for a lawyer to give me a number of a person to tell me exactly what to do , but I figured I  would see what kind of response I'd get in here. I am in the market for a divorce lawyer, or a detective, or any answers to help me solve this cold case. My fear is that my marriage here in Indonesia is not valid, but according to the paperwork we are. I used to say, its just a piece of paper, well....that little piece of paper is vital to my life. I can not move forward with CR1or Ir1 until this is resolved. We have been married for two years in Bali, I am about to obtain a 5 year KITAS here. If someone here knows a good lawyer or detective, please private message me the information. Or advice. Thank You. Will I have to re-marry, or can I get the annulment after all these years and I will still be considered married in Indonesia? And will USCIS accept my marriage after an annulment was made after our marriage?

Did you ever file for divorce?  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

exactly

did you actually file for divorce in California? you state you placed an ad, but did you hire a divorce attorney and filed for divorce? you should have had the final divorce decree before getting married again

Like I said above, I thought I did. But can not find the record anywhere. It would have had to file it in California where the marriage took place correct? I remember placing a ad in the paper in Alabama while I was selling paper there, then I sent it to California with evidence that I made a thorough attempt at trying to find her. Then I moved, like I did for years as a salesman. I moved a lot , in almost every state. So I am unsure what happened. 

so , lets move on...lets assume she never filed in Sweden or My filing never got completed. Now what? Can I get it annulled now?

Filed: Timeline

Even though it doesnt seem like it 1999 was a long time ago! Maybe things were different then but I doubt it. To divorce you need to file where you live- so try Alabama courts. Also when you have to place an ad as part of the divorce requirements its typically an ad in the jurisdiction of the court. Theres also a chance you attempted to file in CA but because you did the ad in Alabama the CA court rejected it- you moved and never followed up so....? I dunno. You can try Reddit for amateur investigators if you want- thats not really a thing on here. Anyway if you are not divorced then you need to obtain a valid divorce first. Then you need to remarry your current spouse. Then and only then will USCIS recognize your marriage. 

@Lemonslice what if my wife filed for divorce in another country? Finding her should be my first priority. If someone filed in Sweden, wouldn't they still have to file it in California for it to be Valid? Those days were a blur to me to be honest, And I thought I took the necessary steps to complete the divorce. A lawyer was never in the picture, I attempted to process everything on my own. Now what about USCIS? I did make a report years ago. What do they do in the event of fraud? deportation? Or she could be hiding in USA somewhere under a fake name?

@Lemonslice  Eventually we would want to reside in USA, but as I said in my first story.... I want to make sure we are divorced. I want zero ties with my first wife, and I want her to be dealt with and make sure shes not living in the states illegally. Maybe ill even sue her, once I find her, who knows. It was wrong for her to disappear.

@Villanelle

Thank you, I figured we would have to remarry. Annulment in a catholic church....i am unsure about. what a mess.

Filed: Timeline
6 minutes ago, cali2bali said:

@Lemonslice  Eventually we would want to reside in USA, but as I said in my first story.... I want to make sure we are divorced. I want zero ties with my first wife, and I want her to be dealt with and make sure shes not living in the states illegally. Maybe ill even sue her, once I find her, who knows. It was wrong for her to disappear.

LOL. You can sue who ever you want- will you get a judgement? probably not... Also you are not responsible for her potentially living in the US illegally nor do you have any power to 'deal her' what she deserves. Dont go vigilante ok? 

If she did obtain a divorce in her country (or anywhere really) then that is GOOD news as it means you dont have to. And if the divorce was done before your new marriage even better news. Your current marriage would be valid. So you are going to want to expand your search for a possible divorce decree. Again I suggest Reddit for help with this. 

@Villanelle

Yes, I will keep searching. I was kidding about suing her . I just want this to be over with. We've all made mistakes in our lives.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.