Bjh

Just realized we submitted the old I-485! Please help!

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 minutes ago, flfreddy said:

Reading your posts... I feel you want to resend with new form the entire package.   It is like gambling for  confusion vs faster processing.  At the rate Corona shut down is happening, I think your rejection letter is being delayed... similarly the new package will be delayed for processing as well.

Theoretically you should get the rejection letter while your new package has not been processed, assuming you send it in.

So it depends on your risk appetite.   I see OP and respondents all expressing good suggestions.  Risk appetite....

Yep, I canceled the check with the first i-485 package so I don't get charged twice for AOS. I don't see why waiting for a rejection notice is useful, I don't need it to refile. I agree that the rejection notice may well be delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic, and that sending it would probably take more time than usual, but waiting for a rejection AND THEN sending in a refile would take even more time.

Anyone who says "well they might not reject it!" hasn't been keeping up with what the USCIS is doing. It's post-marked past feb 24th, they were definitely going to reject it because that's what the rule is. There are already 2 threads about exactly this happening in this forum and no doubt will be more.

Edited by Bjh

On 3/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, Bjh said:

Hi everyone,

We submitted my wife's i-485 using the OLD i-485 (the 07/15/2019 edition), and it was received on March 3rd. So we missed the 2/24 deadline.

We also haven't received the i-797 receipt (rejection notice) yet.

Should I just fill out another i-485 and send it out ASAP? Is there a need to receive the rejection notice first??

Thanks!

Should it be the 10/15/2019 edition we use?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, matt1wardhaugh said:

Should it be the 10/15/2019 edition we use?

Yes. I sent the older version, which if received after February 24th is not accepted, hence why I am re-filing now instead of waiting.

Edited by Bjh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.