Nature Boy 2.0

All things Corona Virus

2,985 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fip & jim said:

The UK government has announced that the NHS will be ready to start the Pfizer vaccine from the 1st of December, if it gets approval. They have placed an order for 40 million vaccines (enough for 20 million people) manufactured by Pfizer in Germany. They will start by vaccinating the staff and older patients in care homes, then frontline workers, then those above 80, then 75, 70, 65, at risk adults under the age of 65, 60, 55, 50, then the rest of the population. Children will not be vaccinated. They are preparing for centers to be open 7 days a week to administer vaccines. An extra £150m is being allocated to the NHS tor rolloutthe vaccination program. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

This is fantastic news! My grandfather-in-law is 85, living in West London and doing well (he lives at home), and I'm glad to see he will be first up for a dose. 

One weird thing with Covid is I haven't seen anyone I know quit smoking yet. Most of the people I know who smoke are coworkers, and they are all on the wrong side of 50. I was sure this would motivate at least one person I know to quit. I guess it must be a hard thing to do.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

One weird thing with Covid is I haven't seen anyone I know quit smoking yet. Most of the people I know who smoke are coworkers, and they are all on the wrong side of 50. I was sure this would motivate at least one person I know to quit. I guess it must be a hard thing to do.

Alex did!! I am SO proud of him. He had switched to vaping a while back after smoking cigarettes since he was 16 or 17. He'd always promised he'd quit, but never did. COVID hit and he got serious about it. And he did it cold turkey. He was concerned about his lungs making him susceptible to complications should he get the virus. It was HARD. The worst for him was breaking the link between having a cup of coffee and smoking/vaping. But he's done now and says he's not ever going back. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
13 minutes ago, laylalex said:

This is fantastic news! My grandfather-in-law is 85, living in West London and doing well (he lives at home), and I'm glad to see he will be first up for a dose. 

Yes! And protecting frontline workers. I saw a report on the BBC about their mental health. Many are showing signs of being affected similar to PTSD. 

Any thoughts about how a vaccine could work for travel? I guess there will be a requirement to show immunity - whether that is paperwork or biometrics. My daughter was meant to visit a few months back. When we made the decision to emigrate we agreed that we'd try to see each other every 9 months. I did have a thought of "What if air travel isn't possible in the future?", then dismissed it and now here we are. It's the uncertainty that's been difficult for her to handle. It's so difficult to cope when you can't see the people you need to see. I've learned to not think too far ahead during this. 

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Alex did!! I am SO proud of him. He had switched to vaping a while back after smoking cigarettes since he was 16 or 17. He'd always promised he'd quit, but never did. COVID hit and he got serious about it. And he did it cold turkey. He was concerned about his lungs making him susceptible to complications should he get the virus. It was HARD. The worst for him was breaking the link between having a cup of coffee and smoking/vaping. But he's done now and says he's not ever going back. 

That's awesome. I quit bacon that way (my bacon is now made of cold turkey). I think people who quit are the most ardent about not smoking. I always thought part of that was just realizing how hard it was. The last guy I knew who quit said it wasn't even about the cigarettes. He would always go out at certain times to smoke, and it was just the habit of having somewhere to go and something to do at those times. He ended up grabbing coffee's instead and he never looked back. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

22 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

Yes! And protecting frontline workers. I saw a report on the BBC about their mental health. Many are showing signs of being affected similar to PTSD. 

Any thoughts about how a vaccine could work for travel? I guess there will be a requirement to show immunity - whether that is paperwork or biometrics. My daughter was meant to visit a few months back. When we made the decision to emigrate we agreed that we'd try to see each other every 9 months. I did have a thought of "What if air travel isn't possible in the future?", then dismissed it and now here we are. It's the uncertainty that's been difficult for her to handle. It's so difficult to cope when you can't see the people you need to see. I've learned to not think too far ahead during this. 

My sister in law is currently here, staying nearby. She came for our wedding after doing her two week quarantine in Mexico. She and her brother, my husband, are twins, and they last saw each other in early March. It was the longest they had ever gone without seeing each other in their lives. Even though there were risks in her travelling, she couldn't deal with not being here.

My husband has thought many times of just flying back to see his daughter, but there are so many problems with that too: quarantine over there, where would he stay (she lives with her mum, not sure how much she'd like having him have to stay with her!), and until we got married the other week he was subject to quarantine outside of the US on the way back in. The uncertainty is unbearable. He misses her so much -- she's only 7 and never been apart from her dad this long, and she idolizes him. Really hard for us all. I am so hopeful the vaccine(s) will help us all slide back into something like normality soon. We'd hoped to have her come next summer to spend a few weeks with us but we're not counting on anything right now.

Yep, we're in the same boat as you @laylalex, we've had a lot of family come out from the US and far more from Canada and other parts of the world to visit the baby (both boys for many since they didn't meet either, and what a good time to pick), but we've also had some key family not come because of the ridiculous forced quarantines their state/province/pref impose, as well as rules their jobs (those that can't do their work remotely) enforce when they come back. 

Weird, level one over here means low risk, not high. Canada's weird. Or maybe we're weird.

I think it's more likely we're weird, I mean, would you look at us?

MD is starting to put back restrictions tomorrow. I fully expect it to not be of much use and we'll be back on full lockdown once again in another month.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Weird, level one over here means low risk, not high. Canada's weird. Or maybe we're weird.

I think it's more likely we're weird, I mean, would you look at us?

Washington state phase 1  heavy restrictions, phase 4 business as usual....so yes , Calif has it upside down. BC , OR, WA, AK have voted on the taxonomy, time to get with our program!

3 hours ago, fip & jim said:

I know right. I sure miss my people in the Philippines.  I am guessing at least late fall before I can go again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This thread has grown very large in size, so it's now closed to further comment.

The continuation thread is here:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/751660-all-things-coronavirus-part-2/

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).