Nature Boy 2.0

All things Corona Virus

2,985 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

/doesn't drink anymore but could really use a crown and coke after work sometimes. 

Feel like going MMA on people? 

Also.. I could never notice any difference between Jack/Coke and Crown/Coke.. but then again I never really noticed any distinguishing difference in taste with numerous brands of whiskey. The same goes for vodka. 

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Feel like going MMA on people? 

Also.. I could never notice any difference between Jack/Coke and Crown/Coke.. but then again I never really noticed any distinguishing difference in taste with numerous brands of whiskey. The same goes for vodka. 

That's because you are messing up good alcohol with Coca Cola.  Ewww.  I used to do that when I was younger, but the taste of coke/pepsi/dp is just not for me any more.  And it really messes up my stomach for a day when I drink it.  The one time I DO enjoy the taste of coke is with pizza.  I do it about once or twice a year, but rarely drink the whole can.  Just a few sips to go with the pizza.

Any time I wish to determine the true flavor of something, I sip it alongside of of something I know already.  So with this new tequila, we each tried a sip of the 1800 (I knew which was which, but the wife did not), then water, then the Costco brand.  Have to breathe it in first, then sip, taste, and wait for a fair bit afterwards for all the aftertastes to appear.

I didn't drink much between 20 (when I purposely got drunk on Jim Beam and cheap red wine to get sick and see what it felt like) and 42.  Just an occasional beer with friends perhaps, or mixed drinks in college, typically with bottom shelf liquor such as Jose Cuervo (which isn't true tequila, but a blend) and what not.  Then I started appreciating "better" alcohols, and now prefer to drink a bourbon on the rocks (Maker's Mark and Bulleitt are on the shelf now), or rum (Don Papa is my #1 go to, but also like Bacardi Oakheart, which is getting hard to find locally for some reason).  I don't much care for sipping vodka or tequila, minus one brand of tequila from Mexico that a neighbor shared a couple of sips with me.  But it was a $125 bottle purchased in Mexico by a local, so no thanks for this guy. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

116805888_3514993971853138_5853940743704

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

That's because you are messing up good alcohol with Coca Cola.  Ewww.  I used to do that when I was younger, but the taste of coke/pepsi/dp is just not for me any more.  And it really messes up my stomach for a day when I drink it.  The one time I DO enjoy the taste of coke is with pizza.  I do it about once or twice a year, but rarely drink the whole can.  Just a few sips to go with the pizza.

Any time I wish to determine the true flavor of something, I sip it alongside of of something I know already.  So with this new tequila, we each tried a sip of the 1800 (I knew which was which, but the wife did not), then water, then the Costco brand.  Have to breathe it in first, then sip, taste, and wait for a fair bit afterwards for all the aftertastes to appear.

I didn't drink much between 20 (when I purposely got drunk on Jim Beam and cheap red wine to get sick and see what it felt like) and 42.  Just an occasional beer with friends perhaps, or mixed drinks in college, typically with bottom shelf liquor such as Jose Cuervo (which isn't true tequila, but a blend) and what not.  Then I started appreciating "better" alcohols, and now prefer to drink a bourbon on the rocks (Maker's Mark and Bulleitt are on the shelf now), or rum (Don Papa is my #1 go to, but also like Bacardi Oakheart, which is getting hard to find locally for some reason).  I don't much care for sipping vodka or tequila, minus one brand of tequila from Mexico that a neighbor shared a couple of sips with me.  But it was a $125 bottle purchased in Mexico by a local, so no thanks for this guy. 

I love diet coke. Sucralose forever!

People can hate artificial sweetener all they want, but to me "natural" doesn't mean jack. Chemical is chemical. 

Edited by TBoneTX
word edited for poor taste

1 hour ago, pablo2752 said:

I love diet coke. Sucralose forever!

People can hate artificial sweetener all they want, but to me "natural" doesn't mean jack. Chemical is chemical. 

I dislike even MORE the taste of artificial sweeteners than sugar.  I don't remember which one is used in Crystal Light, but a few years back, I chugged about 2.5 glasses of some that was in the fridge on a really hot day, and had some sort of reaction that I can only fathom came from the sweetener.  I felt like my skin was crawling out of itself.  Wasn't sure what caused it at first, but a few days later, I drank some again (a lesser quantity), and got milder reaction symptoms.  Now I just avoid it altogether.  MSG is another chemical that messes me up, so I am careful to read labels now.  It has been tough for my wife, because one of her favorite ingredients in just about every dish was been Magic Sarap.

Edited by TBoneTX
word in quote edited for poor taste

I am doing master's in food science and had to read several studies for reading assignments - MSG adverse reaction is more of genetic than MSG itself, and you seem to be one of those people. If you take out the monosodium part(which is just a sodium ion when it dissolves), then you have glutamate, which is....an amino acid that has umami flavor! I recommend  that you never try vegemite lol. 

21 minutes ago, pablo2752 said:

I am doing master's in food science and had to read several studies for reading assignments - MSG adverse reaction is more of genetic than MSG itself, and you seem to be one of those people. If you take out the monosodium part(which is just a sodium ion when it dissolves), then you have glutamate, which is....an amino acid that has umami flavor! I recommend  that you never try vegemite lol. 

Interesting, thanks for that!!  I will get my Xacto knife out and start removing those pesky monosodium ions, lol.  Umami being the savory flavor component of the 5 Japanese tastes?  

Have never tasted Vegemite, only know of it from the Men at Work song.

I love the taste of foods with MSG, but as I am sure you are well aware, I know when said food contained MSG within 10-20 minutes.  

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Interesting, thanks for that!!  I will get my Xacto knife out and start removing those pesky monosodium ions, lol.  Umami being the savory flavor component of the 5 Japanese tastes?  

Have never tasted Vegemite, only know of it from the Men at Work song.

I love the taste of foods with MSG, but as I am sure you are well aware, I know when said food contained MSG within 10-20 minutes.  

Yes, umami has been confirmed as one of five distinct flavors in our body...and funnily enough, the receptor that reacts to umami also is present in lung. Do you get the same reaction when you eat soy sauce or oyster sauce? 

I'm far more a Rum/Coke (or Cherry Coke) kinda person anyways. I don't really drink spirits straight, primarily because I'm not the "sipping" type and prefer to get a gradual buzz than insta-######-up, and I'm so picky about beer (primarily because good wheat beers, scotch ales, etc. are hard to come by) that I rarely buy it. 

Now, Bärenjäger, that stuff was something with enough distinct taste to drink by itself, couldn't imagine mixing it.

I can see why the mixes of carbonated HFCS and booze might trouble the stomachs of some though. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

31 minutes ago, pablo2752 said:

Yes, umami has been confirmed as one of five distinct flavors in our body...and funnily enough, the receptor that reacts to umami also is present in lung. Do you get the same reaction when you eat soy sauce or oyster sauce? 

I don't think so.  I love soy, oyster, & fish sauces.  I guess I would have to ensure I was eating MSG-free food and try each sauce individually to test my reaction.  

I don't think so.  I love soy, oyster, & fish sauces.  I guess I would have to ensure I was eating MSG-free food and try each sauce individually to test my reaction.  

Interesting.

Effects by food ingredient is hardly monofaceted issue. For example, pure caffeine over certain dosage can cause dizziness and other negative neurological effects, but drinking coffee that has same amount of caffeine doesn't have as much pronounced effects. Perhaps something else in soy/oyster/fish sauce attenuates the effect of MSG. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This stuff should be in the derailment-exempt thread, unless everything that we're talking about is infected with the coronavirus.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

56 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

This stuff should be in the derailment-exempt thread, unless everything that we're talking about is infected with the coronavirus.

Thank you.

Also the fact that a Mod could even recognize and is ok with the idea of having an off topic thread in chest, means that my fight to end systematic oppressive modding and all social injustices I suffered getting us there was worth it.

So in all seriousness. as schools open up, what happens if we start seeing mass infections in the schools?