Commish10

Philippines restricts travel in, out of Metro Manila to contain COVID-19

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 12 2020 09:25 PM | Updated as of Mar 12 2020 09:36 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - Philippine authorities on Thursday placed Metro Manila under quarantine, halting travel in and out of the capital region for a month from March 15 until April 14, 2020, amid the continuing rise in cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

This as government also raised the response alert level to Code Red, Sub-level 2, which health officials earlier explained to mean "sustained community transmission," with patients contracting the disease locally.

President Rodrigo Duterte made the announcement on Thursday night, following an urgent meeting with the inter-agency task force on COVID-19 response. The level was raised less than a week since Code Red, Sub-level 1 was declared on Saturday.

"Community quarantine is hereby imposed in the entirety of Metro Manila," said Duterte.

Duterte said land, domestic air, and domestic sea travel to and from Metro Manila will be prohibited during the period.

The suspension of classes in all levels in Metro Manila, which started March 10, will be extended until April 12, 2020.

"It's subject again for review day to day, tingnan namin nangyayari (we'll look at what will happen), if there is a slowdown in the contagion," he said.

"Hindi ito martial law. It is not a martial law. It is not even something extraordinary. But what is sought to be solved here is the again, walang iba except to fight the virus, and to exact compliance," he said.

Train systems- the LRT, MRT lines and PNR- and other forms of mass transportation will remain in operation throughout the quarantine period, Duterte said.

But the transportation department will issue guidelines on “social distancing,” a crucial strategy to help prevent COVID-19 from spreading further, read a resolution crafted by the interagency task force, a copy of which ABS-CBN News obtained.

The President said he would "maybe convert" the resolution into an Executive Order.

Duterte said work in all government agencies under the executive branch, except for health and emergency workers, is suspended. Offices were also told to put up skeletal workforces.

"Mass gatherings, defined as a planned or spontaneous event, where the number of people attending could strain the planning and response resources of the community hosting the event, shall be prohibited during said period," the President said, reading from the resolution.

He called on the public to cooperate with the restrictions.

"'Wag kayong matakot, 'wag kayong manerbyos pero wala pang mga antidote ito. It would only come in the form of a vaccine," Duterte said.

"Do not minimize it but do not kill yourself with worry because government is doing everything possible to make it controllable," he said.

In barangays outside the capital region, barangay-wide quarantine is advised when there are at least 2 confirmed cases of COVID-19.

The country has confirmed 52 cases of the virus, with two deaths.

The outbreak, which began in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has killed some 4,000 people and infected 110,000 others worldwide, prompting the World Health Organization to declare a global pandemic.

China earlier quarantined its entire Hubei province, a move health experts believe was instrumental in controlling the spread of COVID-19.

More recently, the whole of Italy was locked down as the death toll due to the virus soared to more than 800 as of Thursday.

Sorry about that.

Hang in there.

Suze1

Formerly from Makati

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am stuck also. My wife and kids will have their interview on the 25th. I dunno if we need to reschedule it. Duterte said it’s a day to day basis. Hoping it will be lifted in a week. Good thing we are in Davao. I guess when I go back to US,  I will be jobless. 😂 but I do think I have a valid reason because of the lockdown. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, delish said:

I am stuck also. My wife and kids will have their interview on the 25th. I dunno if we need to reschedule it. Duterte said it’s a day to day basis. Hoping it will be lifted in a week. Good thing we are in Davao. I guess when I go back to US,  I will be jobless. 😂 but I do think I have a valid reason because of the lockdown. 

Mine had her's scheduled for Tuesday coming from Cebu. I will call the embassy tonight. 

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

Mine had her's scheduled for Tuesday coming from Cebu. I will call the embassy tonight. 

Please let us know.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, delish said:

Contact the embassy

Contacting the Embassy
Manila Visa Information and Appointment Service center hotlines at (632) 548-8223, (632) 792-8988.
The center is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Manila time), except on Philippine and U.S. holidays.

Callers in the U.S should call (703) 520-2235 on its Eastern Standard Time equivalent of operation hours.

Skype: To use Skype to speak to a customer service representative Monday Friday from 8:00am to 8:00pm., please add a new contact to your Skype account with the Skype name ustraveldocs-philippines.

EMAIL:   IVMANILAREPLIES@STATE.GOV

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My wife was flying to Manila on the 8th of April then on to Dipolog a few days later. Getting her to Manila does nothing for us...Blah. Now on continuous hold to change or cancel flight))))

Edited by boris64

Finally done...

Timeline

I'm confused on this 72 Hour lockdown this is for foriegners correct? Because my Fiance  is in Thailand recovering from her SRS surgey she's in no shape to leave now, However  she feels she has to leave the 19th  before she's stuck in Thailand, can she leave the 20th and still be ok? Will she be   allowed back in or will NAIA be shutdown by then?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.