Harley999999

LAX port of entry processing time K1visa

17 posts in this topic

How much time should I leave for a connecting flight at the port of entry? 

When I fly  to the USA to visit my fiancee I normally get the same flight every time with Qantas. The flight is Sydney Australia to LAX then to JFK.  It normally has 2 1/2 hrs for the connection in LAX. will that be enough time to get through immigration?

Anyone that has already done the immigration step at the LAX POE, how long did it take and could you give me a brief rundown of how it went?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

For a K1 entry, I would plan at least 3 hours.  That being said, if you are coming soon, and with the reduction in a lot of flights from China and Korea, you may be fine with 2.5 hrs.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It might be cutting things a bit close (remembering that in the US, you normally have to pick up your bags and recheck them if you have a connecting flight); Anastasia wasn't continuing on from LAX, but it took a little under two hours from her nominal landing time to meeting me in the international terminal (this was mid-afternoon on a Monday last March).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

It might be cutting things a bit close (remembering that in the US, you normally have to pick up your bags and recheck them if you have a connecting flight); Anastasia wasn't continuing on from LAX, but it took a little under two hours from her nominal landing time to meeting me in the international terminal (this was mid-afternoon on a Monday last March).

Picking up baggage really depends. I've flown from Asia to LAX to my final destination without having to claim luggage at LAX. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 hours ago, Solaris81 said:

Picking up baggage really depends. I've flown from Asia to LAX to my final destination without having to claim luggage at LAX. 

How did you clear customs without picking up your luggage at POE?   Was there a stop in Guam or ??  before LAX?

At POE you 1st have immigration, then you pick up your luggage to clear customs (if you have onward travel your luggage is once more checked with the airline), process is the same at every POE I have cleared when returning from an international flight.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
8 hours ago, Hank_ said:

How did you clear customs without picking up your luggage at POE?   Was there a stop in Guam or ??  before LAX?

At POE you 1st have immigration, then you pick up your luggage to clear customs (if you have onward travel your luggage is once more checked with the airline), process is the same at every POE I have cleared when returning from an international flight.

I flew MNL - TPE - LAX - SLC.  Bags checked at MNL. I went through customs at LAX..global entry...Did not pick up any luggage. Then onward to SLC. Picked up bags at baggage claim. 

Edited by Solaris81

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Solaris81 said:

I flew MNL - TPE - LAX - SLC.  Bags checked at MNL. I went through customs at LAX..global entry...Did not pick up any luggage. Then onward to SLC. Picked up bags at baggage claim. 

... you left things out in your first post, which makes you an exception to the norm.    ;)  

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon ..

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

... you left things out in your first post, which makes you an exception to the norm.    ;)  

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon ..

It shouldn't have anything to do with me collecting my luggage... 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Solaris81 said:

It shouldn't have anything to do with me collecting my luggage... 

How did your bags get transferred to your continuing flight?  All the baggage is off loaded to a carousel for baggage claim then customs before continuing.    Global must play some role there

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

How did your bags get transferred to your continuing flight?  All the baggage is off loaded to a carousel for baggage claim then customs before continuing.    Global must play some role there

Because it was a continuing flight..

SLC to MNL via Delta and China Airlines.

Everyone else who flew the same route... And there were several others... Had the same thing and not all were global entry.... Maybe it's something new... I just got back two weeks ago 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Solaris81 said:

Because it was a continuing flight..

SLC to MNL via Delta and China Airlines.

Everyone else who flew the same route... And there were several others... Had the same thing and not all were global entry.... Maybe it's something new... I just got back two weeks ago 

Interesting.       You didn't clear customs at POE.       

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Interesting.       You didn't clear customs at POE.       

The bag was tagged to the final destination. Not sure what happened or how I managed to pass. I did not think anything of it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Solaris81 said:

The bag was tagged to the final destination. Not sure what happened or how I managed to pass. I did not think anything of it.

Ya the bags are always tagged to the final destination ... unless they get tagged to the wrong  destination like with me one time, I was heading to Manila, one of my bags headed to Toronto (and the others person bag was in Manila).  Delta was good at recovering my bag, but then I had the check-tag for it showing Toronto ... So they tossed on a Philippines airline flight and I had the bag delivered to our home the next day.

Not sure what is going on with customs ... interesting for sure.  Be curious if others are experiencing this or if it was an :oops:     I mean right after immigration check-in   they direct you to the baggage carousel 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Ya the bags are always tagged to the final destination ... unless they get tagged to the wrong  destination like with me one time, I was heading to Manila, one of my bags headed to Toronto (and the others person bag was in Manila).  Delta was good at recovering my bag, but then I had the check-tag for it showing Toronto ... So they tossed on a Philippines airline flight and I had the bag delivered to our home the next day.

Not sure what is going on with customs ... interesting for sure.  Be curious if others are experiencing this or if it was an :oops:     I mean right after immigration check-in   they direct you to the baggage carousel 

I went through the Global Entry kiosk and got my receipt.. Took it to the counter and they checked it. Then I headed downstairs... I didn't even think to check luggage because I didn't think I needed to pick it up there... 

I didn't need to when I landed in Taipei... Why would I now?  So I left the terminal and they took my kiosk slip. I went to the other terminal and spent the night..arriving flight was 8pm and departure to SLC around 5am. 

Arrived in SLC and claimed my luggage

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Solaris81 said:

I went through the Global Entry kiosk and got my receipt.. Took it to the counter and they checked it. Then I headed downstairs... I didn't even think to check luggage because I didn't think I needed to pick it up there... 

I didn't need to when I landed in Taipei... Why would I now?  So I left the terminal and they took my kiosk slip. I went to the other terminal and spent the night..arriving flight was 8pm and departure to SLC around 5am. 

Arrived in SLC and claimed my luggage

You don't collect your bags at stop overs, just for customs as you clear POE.    I really think your Global entry was a factor ... it is supposed to fast track you, don't have a clue.

I have been through many POE at a variety of airports.   On that note ... Denver is the nicest I have been through.     Atlanta is hit and miss, one time it was good, next time it terrible.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.