hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, J1Indian said:

My congressman enquired on my behalf and DOS gave a bizarre reply that he should ask USCIS. He has requested USCIS to send status. I don't understand why USCIS is involved until I get a favorable opinion by DOS. Anybody has any clue on this kinda response?

Maybe DOS issued a favorable recommendation and sent your case to USCIS but their portal updates are lagging? I would expect them to add the FR information to your reply though. Checking with USCIS seems like the way to go, try chatting with Emma if you haven’t already 

1 hour ago, Cris Santos said:

Maybe DOS issued a favorable recommendation and sent your case to USCIS but their portal updates are lagging? I would expect them to add the FR information to your reply though. Checking with USCIS seems like the way to go, try chatting with Emma if you haven’t already 

Thank you I will chat with Emma right now. Do you know what information I can give for Emma to give me a receipt number?. I searched about 10 pages on this forum but I am unable to know if my DoS case number can be tracked by Emma. 

1 hour ago, J1Indian said:

Thank you I will chat with Emma right now. Do you know what information I can give for Emma to give me a receipt number?. I searched about 10 pages on this forum but I am unable to know if my DoS case number can be tracked by Emma. 

I haven’t reached this stage so I can’t help :( someone from a Facebook group called USCIS helpline at 800 375 5283 and the agent tried to track their case by name and date of birth (they also did not have a receipt number) 

Hello everyone, I just got a hold of my waiver from the USCIS.

Thought I should post my timeline, so people are aware of how long it's taking/what goes into it.

• April 2020, I fill out the electronic form DS-3035.
  • May 2020, I request my government to issue a No Objection Statement (NOS).
  • June 2020, my government requests the embassy in the US to issue a NOS to the Department of State (DoS) using the barcode from the DS-3035 form. 
  • June 2020, I submit all the requested paperwork to the DoS (statement of reason, visas, passport, fee, DS-3035).
  • October 2020, the DoS acknowledges receipt of the requested documents.
  • November 2020, DoS tells me some documents are missing (which is not correct, since I kept track of everything I printed out and sent). I email them the requested documents (my advice: do not do that...mail them).
  • July 2021, I ask a congressman to help my case advance. No luck.
  • August 2021, I ask another congressman to help out. This time, it works. The DoS sends me an email saying "a waiver reviewer" is looking into my case.
  • September 2021, the DoS tells me a document is missing (again). This time, just to be sure, I mail them everything (again).
  • (mid) September 2021, I mail them a change of address form (this is reflected in the system in a week).
  • (end of) September 2021, the DoS portal shows FR.
  • (start of) October 2021, DoS sends me (and the USCIS) a physical copy of FR confirmation.
  • (mid) October 2021, USCIS sends me an I-797C form stating they are considering my case. Within 5 days, their website shows waiver granted.
  • (end of) October 2021, the waiver from USCIS comes in the mail.

Hope you find this helpful.

My recommendations:

• It is a waiting game, but if you feel it is taking too long, get your congresspeople/senators to talk to them on your behalf (two if need be).
  • Do not email them. I would recommend mailing them missing documents (if applicable)

Good luck to you all! :)

9 minutes ago, V.T. said:

Hello everyone, I just got a hold of my waiver from the USCIS.

Thought I should post my timeline, so people are aware of how long it's taking/what goes into it.

• April 2020, I fill out the electronic form DS-3035.
  • May 2020, I request my government to issue a No Objection Statement (NOS).
  • June 2020, my government requests the embassy in the US to issue a NOS to the Department of State (DoS) using the barcode from the DS-3035 form. 
  • June 2020, I submit all the requested paperwork to the DoS (statement of reason, visas, passport, fee, DS-3035).
  • October 2020, the DoS acknowledges receipt of the requested documents.
  • November 2020, DoS tells me some documents are missing (which is not correct, since I kept track of everything I printed out and sent). I email them the requested documents (my advice: do not do that...mail them).
  • July 2021, I ask a congressman to help my case advance. No luck.
  • August 2021, I ask another congressman to help out. This time, it works. The DoS sends me an email saying "a waiver reviewer" is looking into my case.
  • September 2021, the DoS tells me a document is missing (again). This time, just to be sure, I mail them everything (again).
  • (mid) September 2021, I mail them a change of address form (this is reflected in the system in a week).
  • (end of) September 2021, the DoS portal shows FR.
  • (start of) October 2021, DoS sends me (and the USCIS) a physical copy of FR confirmation.
  • (mid) October 2021, USCIS sends me an I-797C form stating they are considering my case. Within 5 days, their website shows waiver granted.
  • (end of) October 2021, the waiver from USCIS comes in the mail.

Hope you find this helpful.

My recommendations:

• It is a waiting game, but if you feel it is taking too long, get your congresspeople/senators to talk to them on your behalf (two if need be).
  • Do not email them. I would recommend mailing them missing documents (if applicable)

Good luck to you all! :)

THANKS,  this was very helpful. I am waiting for USCIS now. Do I need to do anything also DoS portal shows FR?

10 hours ago, j1waiverpatience said:

THANKS,  this was very helpful. I am waiting for USCIS now. Do I need to do anything also DoS portal shows FR?

Hey, the USCIS wait is supposed to be 2 weeks to 4 months.

I was lucky to get mine in 11 days. It was just a waiting game for me. I would think the USCIS is more receptive to emails, congressional requests, phone calls etc.

I am not sure I understand your question. Does the portal show FR?

5 minutes ago, V.T. said:

Hey, the USCIS wait is supposed to be 2 weeks to 4 months.

I was lucky to get mine in 11 days. It was just a waiting game for me. I would think the USCIS is more receptive to emails, congressional requests, phone calls etc.

I am not sure I understand your question. Does the portal show FR?

Sorry for the confusion. In my case, the DOS portal changed to FR sometime last week. I am yet to receive anything written from DOS. I understand that there is a next step for receiving my J1 waiver which is via USCIS. I was wondering what steps you took for that, how did you get your case number and how did you expedite the process to get it in 11 days, in case you did? Many thanks for your help.

27 minutes ago, j1waiverpatience said:

Sorry for the confusion. In my case, the DOS portal changed to FR sometime last week. I am yet to receive anything written from DOS. I understand that there is a next step for receiving my J1 waiver which is via USCIS. I was wondering what steps you took for that, how did you get your case number and how did you expedite the process to get it in 11 days, in case you did? Many thanks for your help.

No worries.

The portal shows FR on October 1.

I got the letter from the DoS containing the USCIS case number on October 5. I just waited. I think yours is imminent (this week). With that, you'll be able to track your case on the USCIS side of things.

I got a message (mail) from the USCIS on October 8 that they are working on my application.

The USCIS portal showed waiver granted on October 19.

I got the physical waiver on October 22.

I didnt do anything for the USCIS to expedite my application.

I think your letter from the DoS is imminent.

Once you pass that milestone, it should be a few weeks before you get it. Hang in there!

10 hours ago, J1Indian said:

Thanks for letting us know. Wow it took 1.5 years to get this damn document. 

Sure thing. I don't think 1.5 years for a NOS-based waiver is a reference point. Just wanted to share my experience!

I think the delay was due to a combination of pandemic-induced backlog, assumptions on my part (mail vs email), their slowness to respond/deliberate, the first congressperson not doing a good job at the enquiry etc.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 10/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, sgrrrr said:

Still no update. I am hoping something gets updates this week. Its been 12 weeks now. Did the update happen on the same date when the 'received ' date is or was there a lag? 

I got the update sometime in October but the 'received' shows September 21. Meanwhile all the documents were delivered on July 23.

Edited by wolegzy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.