hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 5:00 AM, CaptainHaddock said:

I got my favourable recommendation today. Exactly 12 weeks from the day the website says they received it. Hopefully the USCIS process is quick 🤞

Here's my timeline if helps others:
Application submitted on: Apr 30, 2021
Check cashed: May 5, 2021
Embassy NOS sent: May 15, 2021

Reflected: June 22, 2021

Favorable recommendation: Sep 14, 2021

I didn't contact any senator/congressman, but I did send a couple of emails to DoS asking for an update (not sure if that helped in any way).

image.thumb.png.e697ef380929d7e9c287162da24b7744.png

Hi I am also sending email but no reply from the DOS. My case received on June 1st.  But no update 

3 hours ago, Velmurugan said:

I am also in the same situation. Please update if you received any update. DOS not replying properly. Is there any alternate solution to get the FR in DOS.  

Some one in this forum asked me to request DOS with a supervisor support letter that doesn't work in my case.

Another one asked me to write to congressman when the case submission will reach around 12-16 weeks of  timeline that was also never helped in my case.

I think these are the two other options that we can do!  My J1 visa expired last month, and this is my grace period. Hope will get FR from DOS by this or next week. 🤞

18 hours ago, jasmine611 said:

The embassy sent NOS by post. Our international office suggested my boss and I to write to DOS again 1 month before my J1 expires. It is likely that I will have to leave the US before I am granted the waiver. I wish you all the best!

I'm feel sorry for you and I do hope that you can get this sorted in timely fashion.

As an update on my side, my NOS is still not registered on their website, despite the fact that some people with very similar timeline (e.g., @Selcuk, @Ariki ) have had their NOS updated on the website or even got Favorable Recommendation. There are others in the situation where the NOS does not appear on the website too, and probably they've sent (or their embassy) sent the NOS around or before mine did. My embassy sent the NOS at the end of May and the congressman or sending e-mails to DoS didn't help at all -- others were (apparently) more lucky.

One thing that I learnt in this process -- though it may sound obvious now -- is not to make your life depend on some bureaucratic process that you have no control over. It'll be just a source of stress. Perhaps this helps someone, but personally, I find it much easier to be disciplined about this process and only check the waiver website at regular/predetermined intervals, rather than obsessing over it -- it may take 3-6-12 months, it may even fail. Life goes on and I might not even need the waver in the end -- the US immigration seems broken at the moment and there are better things to do with my life than waiting for this waiver.

Cheers!

On 10/4/2021 at 1:56 PM, J1_Visa waiver said:

Dear friends,

I am writing my status and experince in this forum to receive your thoughts!

I have been sent my J1 Waiver applications on March25th and DOS updated on May17th and June1st. After that i waited almost 21 weeks from now but my status is still showing  "pending"- never expected this process will take this much time. I reached out DOS with congressman letter, supervisor letter - but no use. I wrote email to 212 address mentioning several things - no reply received except automatic 212e reply.  Surprisingly, my VISA page and DS 2019 was mentioned that bearer was not subject to 212e- so, I submitted H1B application recently without a waiver letter to USCIS. I am not sure whether my request will be getting approved or not at this time. But, I was believed at some point during this H1B process I will receive a "favorable recommendation" from DOS (because 12-16 weeks wait time crossed) but nothing happened yet. If anyone in this forum has had similar experience please write to me. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.29.15 PM.png

I am also in the same date. All my documents received on May 27 except NOS. NOS received on June 1. Still the case was pending. I send 5 mails to DOS they are not responding. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:13 AM, Metathesis said:

This is my timeline:

Sent application based on no objection on 2nd April 2021

Application delivered on 5th April 2021

Then, there was no update at all for three months... I wrote a couple of emails to ask about the status to the DoS email address, but got only generic replies. Forgot about it and left for my home country as my J visa expired in June (already had the O1 application approved in April but could not change visas from within the US due to no waiver).

I got an appointment for the visa interview in August and got the visa and a National Interest Exemption to come back to the US.

Came back to the US and found that a favorable recommendation was sent by the DoS to USCIS on 14th Sept 2021 (took almost 5.5 months!!!).

Got a letter from USCIS saying that they received the case on 19th Sept 2021.

Now, waiting for USCIS to issue the letter....

Stay strong!

Cheers!

J1waive.thumb.png.f644ab37e46fcac9c5cafa1ea1480d3b.png 

I send my application April 3. All my documents received on June 1. Still no update. Please share if you contact any person or any other documents you sent to the DOS 

Seems like many of us are on the June 1st timeline when all documents have been received. I got my other documents received on May 17, yet to hear anything. Lets start counting how many of us are in the same timeline with a show of hands, I will start-

1. 🖐️  j1_waiver_patience (All docs received - June 1st)

3 hours ago, j1waiverpatience said:

Seems like many of us are on the June 1st timeline when all documents have been received. I got my other documents received on May 17, yet to hear anything. Lets start counting how many of us are in the same timeline with a show of hands, I will start-

1. 🖐️  j1_waiver_patience (All docs received - June 1st)

All my docs showed as received May 14th. Sept 29th they sent it to Sponsor Reviews and they received the answer from my sponsor on the same day (Sept 29th). I am now waiting...

On 10/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, Velmurugan said:

I send my application April 3. All my documents received on June 1. Still no update. Please share if you contact any person or any other documents you sent to the DOS 

I did not contact anyone else like congressmen. Also, no additional documents sent.

I think patience is key in this whole process.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I tried an advisory opinion last year without success, and after renewing my visa stamp this year I submitted the waiver request. Documents sent to DOS on August 2, 2021. They marked as received on October 5. I requested my Embassy to send the NOS the day after I mailed my documents (they sent after 15 days I requested by e-mail). My J1 expires end of December 2022, so I'm hoping to have time to get FR and file for EB2-NIW (all documents prepared just awaiting FR). Here is how it looks for me:

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 12.19.13.png

Edited by pedroneo

Hi all,

This is my timeline. I sent documents Mid April but in the system they appeared received June 8th.

794116324_ScreenShot2021-10-12at11_48_49AM.thumb.png.4b769c86a81aff6a9e3a5ac01e7beb20.png

My J1 visa expired on May so I had to leave. I'm currently in my home country waiting for the papers. Favorable recommendation was sent on September 22nd, however, I have not received any mail from DOS or USCIS to the address provided. It's been almost 3 weeks. When I call USCIS they say I'm not on their system. Is anyone else on the same situation? How can I track my case status? I have not received any paperwork whatsoever and I'm getting really concern.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.