hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Dear friends,

I am writing my status and experince in this forum to receive your thoughts!

I have been sent my J1 Waiver applications on March25th and DOS updated on May17th and June1st. After that i waited almost 21 weeks from now but my status is still showing  "pending"- never expected this process will take this much time. I reached out DOS with congressman letter, supervisor letter - but no use. I wrote email to 212 address mentioning several things - no reply received except automatic 212e reply.  Surprisingly, my VISA page and DS 2019 was mentioned that bearer was not subject to 212e- so, I submitted H1B application recently without a waiver letter to USCIS. I am not sure whether my request will be getting approved or not at this time. But, I was believed at some point during this H1B process I will receive a "favorable recommendation" from DOS (because 12-16 weeks wait time crossed) but nothing happened yet. If anyone in this forum has had similar experience please write to me. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.29.15 PM.png

I can't comment on the timeline, as we all know it is very unreliable (judging by the experience of others on this forum, probably it is more than 6 months since the time you and your embassy mailed the documents, even for simple/"straightforward" No Objection cases).

Personally, I had several J1s and sometimes, the officer that put the visa stamp, forgot to specify that your are subject to the 2 year rule. I had various experiences, sometimes the DS2019 doesn't have the check mark for the 212e, sometimes the visa stamp doesn't mention that you are subject to 212e. The way I understand is that your copy of DS2019 and/or passport visa stamp are not authoritative. Only the DoS can tell for sure as they make the rules. Btw, you can check if your J1 job falls under de jobs that require your home country to return for 2 year here:https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/exchange-visitor-skills-list.html . You can find the job code on your DS2019. Keep in mind that your home country is (tipycally) the one that is stated in your passport and not the one where you've applied for J1 (and trying to prove otherwise to DoS seems impossible from my personal experience).

Edited by WaiverFinder

27 minutes ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Dear friends,

I have been sent my J1 Waiver applications on March25th and DOS updated on May17th and June1st. After that i waited almost 21 weeks from now but my status is still showing  "pending"- never expected this process will take this much time. I reached out DOS with congressman letter, supervisor letter - but no use. I wrote email to 212 address mentioning several things - no reply received except automatic 212e reply.  Surprisingly, my VISA page and DS 2019 was mentioned that bearer was not subject to 212e- so, I submitted H1B application recently without a waiver letter to USCIS. I am not sure whether my request will be getting approved or not at this time. But, I was believed at some point during this H1B process I will receive a "favorable recommendation" from DOS (because 12-16 weeks wait time crossed) but nothing happened yet. If anyone in this forum has had similar experience please write to me. Thanks in advance!

we are on the same timeline "pending "

59 minutes ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Dear friends,

Same timeline my friend. Keep updating in case of any progress.

22 hours ago, WaiverFinder said:

I can't comment on the timeline, as we all know it is very unreliable (judging by the experience of others on this forum, probably it is more than 6 months since the time you and your embassy mailed the documents, even for simple/"straightforward" No Objection cases).

Personally, I had several J1s and sometimes, the officer that put the visa stamp, forgot to specify that your are subject to the 2 year rule. I had various experiences, sometimes the DS2019 doesn't have the check mark for the 212e, sometimes the visa stamp doesn't mention that you are subject to 212e. The way I understand is that your copy of DS2019 and/or passport visa stamp are not authoritative. Only the DoS can tell for sure as they make the rules. Btw, you can check if your J1 job falls under de jobs that require your home country to return for 2 year here:https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor/exchange-visitor-skills-list.html . You can find the job code on your DS2019. Keep in mind that your home country is (tipycally) the one that is stated in your passport and not the one where you've applied for J1 (and trying to prove otherwise to DoS seems impossible from my personal experience).

Thanks! Yes, I am damn sure i come under 2 year rule based on exchange visitor skills list that is why I sent waiver application. Same time officer did some mistake on selecting box on the DS2019 two year rule and Passport VISA page. 

Got FB today🥳🥳🥳

thanks folks of this group!

and good luck to everyone!

Docs were received in July 13th

those who are waiting too long don’t just sit and wait but make actions!

my NO letter appeared once I contacted congressman! Though the address was not complete on NO letter. 

And everything was just on time and perfect. 
So if your case is out of timeline contact congressman they are helpful👌👌👌

3 hours ago, Ariki said:

Got FB today🥳🥳🥳

thanks folks of this group!

and good luck to everyone!

Docs were received in July 13th

those who are waiting too long don’t just sit and wait but make actions!

my NO letter appeared once I contacted congressman! Though the address was not complete on NO letter. 

And everything was just on time and perfect. 
So if your case is out of timeline contact congressman they are helpful👌👌👌

Great, good luck for your final waiver. In my case I was reached out with congressman letter and supervisor letter at around 12-16 weeks of time, but nothing happened. Therefore, I believe that not everyones situation is the same.

Hi All,

I am here for asking the J1 waiver in USCIS.

DOS sent the favorable recommendation on Sept. 7th 2021 (I have definitely seen it in the DOS website: https://j1visawaiverstatus.state.gov/), however I have not received anything from USCIS yet.

I haven't received the receipt for the J1 waiver from USCIS yet... The worrying part is that when I call USCIS customer center (and Emma chat) for finding my receipt number but they tell me that my case is not yet in their system.

I am really getting worried now as its been around a month DOS has send a favorable recommendation to USCIS and till now there is no entry in USCIS system.

Are there people waiting for USCIS mail to get their receipt number?

Was there anyone sailing in the same boat? If yes, how do we handle this problem?

Can favorable recommendation be lost? I think I've heard that DOS is forwarding it electronically to USCIS.

Thank you!

Edited by ShowMeTheWaiver

9 hours ago, J1_Visa waiver said:

Great, good luck for your final waiver. In my case I was reached out with congressman letter and supervisor letter at around 12-16 weeks of time, but nothing happened. Therefore, I believe that not everyones situation is the same.

I agree with you that not everyone’s situation is the same. I’m happy to see things moving quickly for some (that gives me hope) but unfortunately this is not the rule for all and definitely not due to a lack of effort or action 

This is my timeline:

Sent application based on no objection on 2nd April 2021

Application delivered on 5th April 2021

Then, there was no update at all for three months... I wrote a couple of emails to ask about the status to the DoS email address, but got only generic replies. Forgot about it and left for my home country as my J visa expired in June (already had the O1 application approved in April but could not change visas from within the US due to no waiver).

I got an appointment for the visa interview in August and got the visa and a National Interest Exemption to come back to the US.

Came back to the US and found that a favorable recommendation was sent by the DoS to USCIS on 14th Sept 2021 (took almost 5.5 months!!!).

Got a letter from USCIS saying that they received the case on 19th Sept 2021.

Now, waiting for USCIS to issue the letter....

Stay strong!

Cheers!

J1waive.thumb.png.f644ab37e46fcac9c5cafa1ea1480d3b.png 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:40 PM, WaiverFinder said:

I'm sorry to hear that this is the case for you as well. Do you happen to know whether your embassy sent the NOS via e-mail or via post?

I wish you good luck! At this point I'm packing my things already as this is not going to work for me in less than one month from now on.

The embassy sent NOS by post. Our international office suggested my boss and I to write to DOS again 1 month before my J1 expires. It is likely that I will have to leave the US before I am granted the waiver. I wish you all the best!

On 7/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, AtlanticOcean said:

You should write DOS an email to see if they received it (212ewaiver@state.gov). In my case they only updated it after I send an email asking about it.

My Case also they received all the documents including NOS on June 1st. After that no update. Did anyone received FR after June in the DOS website update all the documents..  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.