hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, WaiverFinder said:

Thanks for your answer.

To be more precise, the website claims that "The processing time for your application begins when your file is complete" and "Your file is complete when we have your waiver application, processing fee, copies of DS-2019/IAP-66 forms (Step 2), and all required documents (Step 3)."

The NOS was delivered via e-mail, so I kind of assumed there is no lock-box involved (or equivalent). Having a system, where you send a simple document via e-mail that gets reflected into some database 3 months+ later, is absurd for these times. But hey, the logic is unknown in this process, so probably I was wrong 🙂.

I see that you've managed to update your NOS on their website, less than two months after your embassy sent the NOS (by re-sending your docs). Congratulations on this feat! 🙂 Have you resent the NOS along with your docs? Did your embassy send the NOS via e-mail (to DoS)? I guess it was all luck at that point (the senator was meaningfully involved later in the process).

Thanks

image.png

Will urge that you go easy on yourself. The waiver process is almost a black box. None of us really knows what goes into the process . I got favorably recommended before many people who started before me. I have my guesses why that was so. But I cannot really know if my guesses are right.  I started off confident when I submitted my docs, but nearly lost hope 6 weeks later when my docs did not show. When the docs later showed up online, the NOS was not there. At this point my worries deepened.  I wrote them and they did not reply immediately. Later, they put up the NOS online. My confidence rose again once I saw the NOS updated. Interestingly,  when the  NOS was updated, they indicated it arrived well ahead of the other documents. Yet, it was the last stuff they updated online. Then they replied to me the same day the posted everything online, telling me to start counting from that date. I was both worried and happy at the same time. Worried because of the long time ahead but happy that all my documents were ready for adjudication.   I wrote them back nicely  and thanked  them for replying and urged them to be kind and fast to me. I thanked them for the great job they were doing to give us a chance. bla bla bla bla. I think I stoked the officer's ego! Less than  3 weeks after my humble, ego-boosting  mail to the officer who wrote me, they recommended me favorably. I was myself surprised. The entire process from submission to favorable response took me less than 3 months. 

The point I am trying to make is that the waiver thing is a mental health moment. Most cases get favorably recommended, but you cannot really just predict or model the process correctly.  But you will get some relief, learn a lot, cry, laugh and manage your  own expectations by reading the experiences of others in this platform.  The platform makes the entire process easier and bearable because you know you come to know that you are not just alone. The pain of the process is a shared one, and asking questions here or sharing your experiences here can help hundreds of others who will stumble on this platform now or in the future.

Edited by Waiver_Seeker

On 8/31/2021 at 2:54 PM, WaiverFinder said:

Thanks for your answer.

To be more precise, the website claims that "The processing time for your application begins when your file is complete" and "Your file is complete when we have your waiver application, processing fee, copies of DS-2019/IAP-66 forms (Step 2), and all required documents (Step 3)."

The NOS was delivered via e-mail, so I kind of assumed there is no lock-box involved (or equivalent). Having a system, where you send a simple document via e-mail that gets reflected into some database 3 months+ later, is absurd for these times. But hey, the logic is unknown in this process, so probably I was wrong 🙂.

I see that you've managed to update your NOS on their website, less than two months after your embassy sent the NOS (by re-sending your docs). Congratulations on this feat! 🙂 Have you resent the NOS along with your docs? Did your embassy send the NOS via e-mail (to DoS)? I guess it was all luck at that point (the senator was meaningfully involved later in the process).

Thanks

image.png

The website may claim that but after talking to my congressman's office who communicated with USCIS, they let me know it is only after your case is complete and indicated as received on the website, not at the lockbox at MO. There's no point arguing with this bureaucratic system, just read about others' experiences and learn the implicit rules and the explicit rules, as well as the gap between them. This will help you set your expectations. For instance, for FR, you need to wait 12-16 weeks after your case is marked as complete online and you will get it (if it is a simple NOC case, without government funding). If it has surpassed 16 weeks, you can send them an email and in many cases they will process it within a week.

Q:  I received a delivery confirmation for my application, but it does not appear in your online system.  Did you receive it? 

A:  Applications are mailed to a lockbox in St. Louis, Missouri; this is what your delivery confirmation reflects.  Due to delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, it can take up to twelve weeks from the time it arrives in St. Louis until it reaches our office in Washington, DC.  Your application will only appear on j1visawaiverrecommendation.state.gov once it reaches Washington, DC.  Please allow twelve weeks for your case to appear online; we appreciate your patience during these unprecedented times.

My embassy resent the documents when I asked them to. DOS does not accept NOS from anyone but your home country's embassy sent via their email or official mail. It is all about luck/waiting. Embassies send NOSs in batches, DOS processes in batches... Just need to wait. If it has been more than 1-2 months, you can email them about the NOS (like I did), and they will probably update it on their system.

Q:  I’m applying for a No Objection Waiver.  The embassy says it sent the No Objection Statement (NOS) to you, but it isn’t reflected in your online system.  Have you received it? 

A:  Embassies transmit NOS to us at various intervals and using various mechanisms.  They sometimes wait until they have multiple NOS to send, and all mail undergoes security checks before it reaches our office.  Due to factors such as these, please allow four weeks for our system to reflect receipt of your NOS. 

Edited by Pizookie

Removal of Conditions (tbd)
2/6/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/7/24: delivered and signed for

2/9/24: text message with IOE receipt number received at 12:26pm

2/13/24: I-797 48 month extension letter and biometrics reuse letter available online, case updated to "actively being reviewed"

Adjustment of Status (5 months)
9/13/21: AOS packet shipped via FedEx

9/15/21: delivered and signed for

9/17/21: 4 text messages with IOE receipt numbers received at 8:45pm

9/24/21: Received 4 receipt notices in the mail and online access code

9/25/21: Biometrics scheduled for Philadelphia, ASC

10/18/21: Biometrics appointment completed for I-485 and I-765 (Code 3)
10/18/21: After biometrics, I-485 and I-765 case statuses immediately changed to "case is being actively reviewed"

10/28/21: I-693 deficiency notice uploaded online, case status still, "case is being actively reviewed"

12/29/21: Interview scheduled. Contacted Emma agent and they said it is on 2/7/22

2/7/22: I-485 approved

2/12/22: I-797 approval notice received for I-485 and I-130

2/15/22: Green card delivered by USPS

Hi! My attorney emailed DoS about an update (a medical case) on my case. Should that appear on the online portal as “other”? Should I mail it to them? This was back in June. How can I send it by mail? The address online works for updating any change of home address only. 

Edited by Hardship waiver

Hello Guys,

I am a new member. My J1 program got canceled unfortunately and I am looking for other opportunities. I am also out of status as DS2019 expired but I am waiting on my waiver which I hope will be approved soon. Can anyone help with recommendations or next steps to work in the US. Thank you.

Edited by PTIM21

On 8/19/2021 at 4:47 AM, RP26 said:

Waiver_Seeker congratulations... my status is still pending....

My case just appeared online. Looks like the reason it wasn't updated so far was because I had a pending case in 2014, and they decided to use my old number instead of the new number I had submitted with. When I plugged in my number from 2014, it showed up in a new tab. @RP26 do we have the same dates? Did you get your Favorable recommendation yet? I am still waiting on mine. Hoping it's quick from here on.

image.thumb.png.fdbd39b886bf120441c65eb43f9a7b37.png

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi guyz, I need help. 

I am applying for a waiver based on a US exchange 6weeks program I attended in 2019. After the program I went back home (Nigeria) and I got an F visa for my PhD. So, after 5 months, I returned to the US for my PhD.

currently, I got a grant from the US Consulate in Nigeria to run a project in Nigeria, I am going with my advisor (American). I will need to renew my F1 visa to come back, do you think my waiver status will affect my f1 renewal? 

note: my waiver status has been pending since February, they have not received NOS from the Nigerian embassy, meanwhile the embassy have sent me a copy of the NOS. 

kindly provide a like to read more if you know of any.  

note: I am now married to a US Citizen who is a medical doctor. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, CaptainHaddock said:

My case just appeared online. Looks like the reason it wasn't updated so far was because I had a pending case in 2014, and they decided to use my old number instead of the new number I had submitted with. When I plugged in my number from 2014, it showed up in a new tab. @RP26 do we have the same dates? Did you get your Favorable recommendation yet? I am still waiting on mine. Hoping it's quick from here on.

image.thumb.png.fdbd39b886bf120441c65eb43f9a7b37.png

Told you it would appear last week.  You will get a fav response in 2-3 weeks from my model.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I am new on this forum, and would like to know if it is proper to send an email to the 212ewaiver@state.gov contact now.

I mailed all required documents on July 21, money order was cashed about a week later. My country's embassy sent the NOS in the second week of August ( I received my copy too).

My timeline has not shown any update at all, except the one for my advisory opinion which I requested earlier ( the case number is the same).

Kindly advise.

Thank you

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
29 minutes ago, wolegzy said:

Hello Everyone,

I am new on this forum, and would like to know if it is proper to send an email to the 212ewaiver@state.gov contact now.

I mailed all required documents on July 21, money order was cashed about a week later. My country's embassy sent the NOS in the second week of August ( I received my copy too).

My timeline has not shown any update at all, except the one for my advisory opinion which I requested earlier ( the case number is the same).

Kindly advise.

Thank you

I sent all my documents on July 6. As of today its been a full 2 months. There has been no update on the status page whether they have even received the documents

Timeline

I am currently waiting for my J1 visa waiver. I sent all my documents on July 6. I just got a job offer and they have confirmed that they will sponsor my O1. Now, I know that I can definitely apply for an O1 visa while my waiver is pending. But do I need to get out of the country and complete the change of status outside USA, if my waiver is still pending when I get my O1 visa?

Timeline

I also need some help. I sent my J1 waiver application on 7th July, 2021 to Department of State (DOS), cashier's cheque was cashed on 13th July, 2021 as per bank statement. My Embassy India sent NOS to DOS on 20th July, 2021 through email. It is exactly 2 months after sending my application, but still no update in DOS website that they have received my documents. I also sent DOS multiple emails every week, but still unresponsive. I also contacted local congressman by emailing regarding my case, but still unresponsive. So, what should I do now as my j1 visa will expire in December, 2021? Can anybody give some suggestion?

Timeline

Hi guys,It appears, I am now done with this process. Wish you all luck and best wishes. I will hang around the platform for a few weeks to provide answers, and respond to anybody who might have questions about my experience.

my_logo.png

Case Was Approved

On September 3, 2021, we approved your Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as Amended), Receipt Number EAC XXXXXXX. We sent you an approval notice. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your approval notice by September 23, 2021, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Timeline

My case just got updated with all documents except fJ1status.thumb.png.25eb5dc3eba4f5a510de39f47d687329.pngor the NOS being received.

J1status.thumb.png.0d3a0fbb2b8b4fc9e67ffeed048a0757.png

I had sent all my documents on July 6. Everything except the NOS has been received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.