hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

It has been almost a month since USCIS received the FR from DOS. There is still no updates on their online case status. From here, it looks like people are getting the USCIS approval within 3 weeks. So, I was wondering whether people here actually call/email the USCIS to check if they have everything needed to decide. The DOS took more than the regular processing time in my case and I had to keep reminding them by email that my case was approaching and then over the regular processing time.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:52 PM, Veronikac said:

Hi, 

I just wanted to ask you one question. I was in very similar situation - worked first in NIH under J1 visa and then transferred my J1 sponsor under public research hospital. I was just curies if you also did NIH to JHU J1 sponsor transfer and if so weather your updated DS2019, received after your sponsor transfer, had the two years market there as government funding?

Hi, I just wanted to ask whether it is possible to get the Adjustment of Status approval without the J1 waiver in hand?

6 hours ago, RD07 said:

Hi, I just wanted to ask whether it is possible to get the Adjustment of Status approval without the J1 waiver in hand?

Hi, I am not sure what exactly means not have a J1 waiver in hands - does that mean that it is not approved yet or it is approved and you are just missing the hard copy?

In the case that the waiver is not approved, you will probably receive RFE before interview to provide the proof that you have waiver or they will ask for it during the interview. In case your waiver is not approved until that time, you will be denied AOS because you are ineligible to adjust status. 

In case you do not have the hard copy but your waiver is approved, you may be able to explain it to the officer with a screenshot of the USCIS case tracking, saying that waiver was approved and the approval letter from DOS.

I am not a professional and the above is only based on my opinion. You should contact a lawyer to get more accurate question.

I personally applied for AOS once I had the waiver approval from USCIS in my hands and I included it in my application.

7 hours ago, RD07 said:

I just saw your previous message that the DOS already approved your waiver and now you are waiting for the USCIS approval. You can try to chat with Emma on USCIS website and connect to a live agent to ask about your case. However, if you are waiting for the USCIS approval to be able to apply for AOS I think that just the DOS approval is sufficient for the initial AOS application

21 hours ago, Veronikac said:

Hi, I am not sure what exactly means not have a J1 waiver in hands - does that mean that it is not approved yet or it is approved and you are just missing the hard copy?

In the case that the waiver is not approved, you will probably receive RFE before interview to provide the proof that you have waiver or they will ask for it during the interview. In case your waiver is not approved until that time, you will be denied AOS because you are ineligible to adjust status. 

In case you do not have the hard copy but your waiver is approved, you may be able to explain it to the officer with a screenshot of the USCIS case tracking, saying that waiver was approved and the approval letter from DOS.

I am not a professional and the above is only based on my opinion. You should contact a lawyer to get more accurate question.

I personally applied for AOS once I had the waiver approval from USCIS in my hands and I included it in my application.

Thank you for that information. I checked with USCIS and they say 4-6 months is the processing time for the I-612 approval. I am a bit surprised because everybody here appears to be getting the approval within 3 weeks. Do you mind sharing how long it took you to get the USCIS approval for the J1 waiver after they received your case from the DOS?

4 hours ago, RP26 said:

Hi everyone, I have received a new DS2019 while my status is pending at DOS. Should I send them a copy of New DS2019? If answer is how to send by E-mail or Post ?

I received a new DS-2019 while my waiver was processing with DoS. I emailed them a copy of my new DS-2019. I emailed it to: 212ewaiver@state.gov

On 5/25/2021 at 5:11 PM, ash7376 said:

Final timeline:

Documents sent to DOS - 23rd Feb, 2021

Consular in Washington sent NOS - 26th Feb, 2021

212e.thumb.jpg.dcc180633dd750896a9abe1ec2656ab8.jpg

Form I-797C received from USCIS 11th May, 2021

Form I-612 approval posted online by USCIS 25th May, 2021

Form I797A received from USCIS May 28th, 2021

Total time = 95 days (3 months, 6 days).

6 hours ago, RD07 said:

Thank you for that information. I checked with USCIS and they say 4-6 months is the processing time for the I-612 approval. I am a bit surprised because everybody here appears to be getting the approval within 3 weeks. Do you mind sharing how long it took you to get the USCIS approval for the J1 waiver after they received your case from the DOS?

Based on the DOS timeline, the DOS favorable recommendation was issued and send to USCIS on July 28, 2020. USCIS approved my case on August 7, 2020. I did receive the USCIS hard copy approval approximately two weeks after. I received the DOS hard copy after I received the USCIS hard copy. The USCIS approval was pretty fast for me, but my waiver was pending over 6 months with DOS.

Edited by Veronikac

Hello Members,

So I have now exceeded the 16 week processing time for the J1 waiver under the NOS category. All my documents were updated by the 8th March, 2021.  Emailed them 8th of June for an update and got no response so far. Just reached out to the local congressman and requested him to contact the DOS for an update. Is there any one in the forum around the same dates with respect to similar document update date as mine and awaiting a decision  ? Have people in the forum seen cases that have have exceeded the normal processing time of 16 week ?

On 6/24/2021 at 7:22 AM, RD07 said:

It has been almost a month since USCIS received the FR from DOS. There is still no updates on their online case status. From here, it looks like people are getting the USCIS approval within 3 weeks. So, I was wondering whether people here actually call/email the USCIS to check if they have everything needed to decide. The DOS took more than the regular processing time in my case and I had to keep reminding them by email that my case was approaching and then over the regular processing time.

Similar situation. Have you received the receipt number from USCIS? I called them but they mentioned there is no case in the system yet. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.