hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

At long last it is finally OVER!

Thanks to all members for your support and if anyone needs help I am always reachable.

Here's my timeline:

Documents sent to Embassy and DoS: 24th November 2020

Documents delivered by USPS: 28th November 2020

Embassy sends NOS to me: 5th December 2020

DoS shows documents (except NOS) received : 12th January 2021

DoS shows NOS received 9th February 2021

DoS send Favorable Recommendation :1st April 2021

USCIS sends I-797C NoA: 7th April 2021 (received at home on 13th April 2021)

USCIS approves case online: 19th April 2021

Waiting for the hard copy now

Congratulations :). My NOS was received on the 8th March, 2021. Based on your timeline, I am hoping the FR could come in two weeks or so !!!

Hi friends from all over the world!

I am a Peruvian trainee in Washington State. I recently got married to my boyfriend of 6 years (US citizen), and since we want to live in the US for the moment, I have to ride the J-1 Waiver rollercoaster. The basis I applied under is No Objection. I don't have any grants or scholarships from any government or institution (pretty "straightforward" case).

I visited this forum a few times along the process, and as many of you have concluded, the wait times are just unpredictable. My files were received in their lockbox on Dec. 28th 2020, my check was cashed a couple days after, but it took 8 weeks for a "received" notification to show on my account. After that, it took another 8 weeks for them to give me a favorable recommendation.

I saw some of you suggested not emailing them too much, but I'm not a very patient individual, and my current J-1 visa expires at the beginning of June. I cordially emailed them twice: the first time to check on the lack of "received" notifications, and the second time to tell them I was worried that their deliberation was taking too long, that my visa was expiring soon, and that I need to apply for my green card before my visa expires.

Both times they gave me generic responses like "sorry, but it takes 12-16 weeks to get you an answer". HOWEVER, I think that by emailing them, they may check on the status of your files. I say this because coincidentally, on both occasions, around a week after they would reply, I would see an update on my account!! Now I will have to wait for USCIS final response.

Anyways, I hope sharing my timeline and my experience helps a bit. We are all very mentally strong for going through this.

Much love,

- G

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 1.16.07 PM.png

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Congo DR
Timeline

Hello 

it has been 28 weeks since my NOL has been received by the waiver division.

package sent 03/19/2020

online 05/19/2020

no objection letter 10/06/2020

new no objection letter 02/12/2021

Right now no objection letter Has disappeared

it has been a year no funding no sponsor 😭😭😭

Hi! Do you think DoS responds to congressional inquiry? Do they feel pressured to move forward like USCIS with these types of inquiries?

Also, I moved to another place in the same state, do I have to update my address? My lawyer says that since we send with the application two posted envelopes that the forwarding service will reroute it to the new place. THANK YOU!

On 4/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, Hardship waiver said:

Hi! Do you think DoS responds to congressional inquiry? Do they feel pressured to move forward like USCIS with these types of inquiries?

Also, I moved to another place in the same state, do I have to update my address? My lawyer says that since we send with the application two posted envelopes that the forwarding service will reroute it to the new place. THANK YOU!

I think they should. I tried googling and did find 1-2 instances where it worked. In fact, I have now asked my Senator to inquire on my behalf, but I haven't heard back from them yet. 
It has been 6 weeks since my application was received by DOS and no update on the website. I figured a Congressional inquiry would help speed things up.

Yes you need to update your address. I think DOS will provide the address on file to USCIS to generate your I-612.

Does your application show on the website? What is the current status?

Removal of Conditions (tbd)
2/6/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/7/24: delivered and signed for

2/9/24: text message with IOE receipt number received at 12:26pm

2/13/24: I-797 48 month extension letter and biometrics reuse letter available online, case updated to "actively being reviewed"

Adjustment of Status (5 months)
9/13/21: AOS packet shipped via FedEx

9/15/21: delivered and signed for

9/17/21: 4 text messages with IOE receipt numbers received at 8:45pm

9/24/21: Received 4 receipt notices in the mail and online access code

9/25/21: Biometrics scheduled for Philadelphia, ASC

10/18/21: Biometrics appointment completed for I-485 and I-765 (Code 3)
10/18/21: After biometrics, I-485 and I-765 case statuses immediately changed to "case is being actively reviewed"

10/28/21: I-693 deficiency notice uploaded online, case status still, "case is being actively reviewed"

12/29/21: Interview scheduled. Contacted Emma agent and they said it is on 2/7/22

2/7/22: I-485 approved

2/12/22: I-797 approval notice received for I-485 and I-130

2/15/22: Green card delivered by USPS

Hi all,

I applied for J1 waiver on October 27th 2020. Indian consulate and Embassy was so quick and they sent my NOS to DOS on November 5th. But in between, DOS decided to change my case number (I dont know why). My embassy, neither me was aware of that and embassy sent NOS with my old case number. DOS did not intimate us and until December 2020 I was waiting for the waiver checking the status. Only in mid December 2020 I noticed I couldn't see my status with my old case number. So I wrote DOS. I did not get any reply. By January 11th they emailed me saying that they did not receive NOS. i immediately contacted my embassy and they said they sent on November 5th and sent me a soft copy of the same. I emailed DOS again and they said they cannot accept this case number and they need the same document with new case number. I agin requested my embassy to provide the same document with new case number. They were so kind and sent me on the same day. Finally my status showed NOS received on January 13th 2021. Since then I am waiting for my waiver and still no news. I have been emailing once in two weeks and their standard reply is "A check of our Waiver Review System indicates that your case file appears to be complete and ready to process.  Provided we have received all the required documentation, we assure you that your request will be processed as soon as possible". Has anyone of you come across such issue? Any suggestions to expedite the process would be great. Based on my submission date it is 25 weeks now. But based on the date NOS received by DOS (January 13 2021), its 15 weeks now. Has anyone ever called and spoke with waiver review division? I am already in J1 grace period. I badly need the certificate sooner. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

16 minutes ago, Pizookie said:

I think they should. I tried googling and did find 1-2 instances where it worked. In fact, I have now asked my Senator to inquire on my behalf, but I haven't heard back from them yet. 
It has been 6 weeks since my application was received by DOS and no update on the website. I figured a Congressional inquiry would help speed things up.

Yes you need to update your address. I think DOS will provide the address on file to USCIS to generate your I-612.

Does your application show on the website? What is the current status?

Thank you. 
My status is pending. They haven’t hit the 24 weeks mark yet— in about a week or so. Once it exceeds 24 weeks, I will send out to a senator.

it says that for an application to be on the site, it needs 4 weeks. Good luck on your congressional inquiry.  

Hi

Also when I see all the screenshots of DOS status, I see everyone is having passport data page. But my status does not show passport data page but otherwise shows everything including Fee, Form DS 2019, Form DS 3035, Statement of Reason, No objection certificate. Is this a problem? But email from waiver review division says "A check of the Waiver Review System indicates that we have received the No Objection Statement on your behalf from the Embassy of India on January 13, 2021. Your case file appears to be complete and ready to process." Should I be worried about this passport data page?

3 minutes ago, Sara77 said:

Hi

Also when I see all the screenshots of DOS status, I see everyone is having passport data page. But my status does not show passport data page but otherwise shows everything including Fee, Form DS 2019, Form DS 3035, Statement of Reason, No objection certificate. Is this a problem? But email from waiver review division says "A check of the Waiver Review System indicates that we have received the No Objection Statement on your behalf from the Embassy of India on January 13, 2021. Your case file appears to be complete and ready to process." Should I be worried about this passport data page?

They would have told you that your application is incomplete, so I wouldn’t worry that much.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, TIMP90 said:

I finally got a favorable recommendation today - NOS was received on December 22nd. How do I track the USCIS process? Will they send me a tracking number?

They will send you a notice of action within a week -10 days of the FR

Within 10 days of the NoA you will see the case approved online and you will get the hard copy by post (no tracking) within a week of that

On 4/21/2021 at 5:42 PM, Lolom said:

Hello 

it has been 28 weeks since my NOL has been received by the waiver division.

package sent 03/19/2020

online 05/19/2020

no objection letter 10/06/2020

new no objection letter 02/12/2021

Right now no objection letter Has disappeared

it has been a year no funding no sponsor 😭😭😭

That's unusually long. Did you email them?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.