hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Aramcod said:

Yep, Sorry I didn't mean to stress you out. I need to wait to receive the letter from the USCIS. My case has been sent by USCIS in August 2020 (after four months of review) to DOS for a waiver decision. So, it means that USCIS first approved my case and then sent it to DOS for a FR. Fortunately, I have my work authorization valid till 2022, but I am not sure if it would automatically be nullified when my I-485 is denied. My lawyer told me we can not make any decisions until we receive the letter of denial and the reason for it. Honestly, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw on my USCIS amount that my i-485 was denied. 

My status on DOS still shows pending. Sending an email is useless as I did it four times before and every time received a generic response. 

Let's see, I'll keep you posted once I receive my letter (most probably today as it has already been a week). Wish me luck. 

Oh I see now. So, USCIS denied the I-485, not the hardship waiver... It makes sense now, they will need the DOS decision for the I-612 in order to proceed with the I-485 application.  When did you apply for the I-485? There is always a risk of applying to I-485 prior to receiving the full hardship waiver. 

I applied to USCIS in June 2019. It took USCIS 9 months till they sent the I-612 to DOS. DOS received the I-612 on May 11, 2020. My application has been pending at DOS since then... Unbelievable delay... 

3 minutes ago, KYZ said:

Oh I see now. So, USCIS denied the I-485, not the hardship waiver... It makes sense now, they will need the DOS decision for the I-612 in order to proceed with the I-485 application.  When did you apply for the I-485? There is always a risk of applying to I-485 prior to receiving the full hardship waiver. 

I applied to USCIS in June 2019. It took USCIS 9 months till they sent the I-612 to DOS. DOS received the I-612 on May 11, 2020. My application has been pending at DOS since then... Unbelievable delay... 

Yes exactly. My lawyer told me she had to apply for I-485 before receiving the full waiver because I needed to have my work authorization and advance parole in case of emergency travelling (I'm not sure if she is full of or not :). So, she told me the denial did not come as a surprise to her as she had her concerns about it. My lawyer applied for i-485 in October 2019, and my i-612 was received by DOS in August 2020. BTW, what is I-613? do you have an idea? cuz in my DOS waiver page it shows i-612 and i-613 received in August 2020. 

I believe based on my search on different websites and videos from different lawyers and their clients' cases, you should be getting your FR in April, or the latest, in early May. It's not fair at least they should expedite the marriage-based cases. 

4 minutes ago, Aramcod said:

Yes exactly. My lawyer told me she had to apply for I-485 before receiving the full waiver because I needed to have my work authorization and advance parole in case of emergency travelling (I'm not sure if she is full of or not :). So, she told me the denial did not come as a surprise to her as she had her concerns about it. My lawyer applied for i-485 in October 2019, and my i-612 was received by DOS in August 2020. BTW, what is I-613? do you have an idea? cuz in my DOS waiver page it shows i-612 and i-613 received in August 2020. 

I believe based on my search on different websites and videos from different lawyers and their clients' cases, you should be getting your FR in April, or the latest, in early May. It's not fair at least they should expedite the marriage-based cases. 

I-613 is the form they use to issue the approval or denial for the I-612... Standard thing that goes with I-612. 

And yes, thanks, I do need that luck. Ironically, I am approaching two years processing to waive the two years return requirement lol 

"My lawyer applied for i-485 in October 2019": do you mean October 2020? 

Edited by KYZ

1 hour ago, ps_j1 said:

=======FINALLY THE FR=======

On 24th I mailed the senator to request expedite the process telling my current visa will expire in june and I will be without job and will have to leave the country in midst of the pandemic if I don't receive H1b by june. And today, the FR is showing in the website. So I wonder if jumping and screaming paid off!?

Details of my case:

• Category: NOS
  • Time to FR after receiving NOS:  18 weeks
  • Ds2019: Issued for a three month internship in 2010 at a university
  • 212e category: none of the category for 212e (gov funding, skill set or physician) was applicable to me, it didn't say it in Ds2019, but J1-visa stamp said 212e is applicable to me without mentioning the reason.
  • Current visa/ expiration: F1-OPT/ 06/2021; In my statement of reason I didn't mention about expiration 
  • Home country: India

Thanks for all your support. 

The_FR.png

That was so so long!!! Finally it's done for you

Could you please tell me what exactly you told the senator and whether the DoS ever responded to your email about expediting?

Every time I write to them some racist TP person says 'processing' or 'documents not received' although the Embassy sent them the NOS on 10th December 2020!

I will be grateful for any tips you would have

1 minute ago, KYZ said:

I-613 is the form they use to issue the approval or denial for the I-612... Standard thing that goes with I-612. 

And yes, thanks, I do need that luck. Ironically, I am approaching two years processing to waive the two years return requirement lol 

Good Luck man, I wish you and me great luck ;) 

17 hours ago, Bellmag said:

Hello everyone,

I am just here to share my nightmare and maybe hopefully get some advices/help/suggestions.

I am currently on a J-1 visa that expires on May 01, 2021. I had applied for a J-1 waiver on August 28, 2020. My application process stated on October 06, 2020 corresponding to over 24 weeks ago. I still don't have any decision. I have personally contacted the DoS but only got the generic email saying that my application was compete and that they will process it as soon as they can. I had also reach out to one congressman and two senators but still no news. 

My visa is a bout to expire and I am considering coming back to my home country.

Are you applying on the basis of NOS on skill set?

Did you have any government funding?

I wish you luck

36 minutes ago, Aramcod said:

Yep, Sorry I didn't mean to stress you out. I need to wait to receive the letter from the USCIS. My case has been sent by USCIS in August 2020 (after four months of review) to DOS for a waiver decision. So, it means that USCIS first approved my case and then sent it to DOS for a FR. Fortunately, I have my work authorization valid till 2022, but I am not sure if it would automatically be nullified when my I-485 is denied. My lawyer told me we can not make any decisions until we receive the letter of denial and the reason for it. Honestly, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw on my USCIS amount that my i-485 was denied. 

My status on DOS still shows pending. Sending an email is useless as I did it four times before and every time received a generic response. 

Let's see, I'll keep you posted once I receive my letter (most probably today as it has already been a week). Wish me luck. 

I am not clear, was your waiver denied or the I-485? I thought you needed a waiver to apply for the I-485

Just now, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

I am not clear, was your waiver denied or the I-485? I thought you needed a waiver to apply for the I-485

not my waiver, actually my i485 was denied. The reason being that my lawyer applied for i-485 before getting a full waiver (FR). My DOS waiver case is still pending and I am waiting for a FR. My waiver case is hardship. 

1 hour ago, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

That was so so long!!! Finally it's done for you

Could you please tell me what exactly you told the senator and whether the DoS ever responded to your email about expediting?

Every time I write to them some racist TP person says 'processing' or 'documents not received' although the Embassy sent them the NOS on 10th December 2020!

I will be grateful for any tips you would have

Here's a follow-up email to senator rep:

Dear Senator Rep,

Thanks for your outstanding support with j1-waiver petition. 

My current Visa and work-authorization are expiring on xy-th June 2021. I will have to leave my employment and the country in midst of a pandemic if the H1b petition is not approved by that time. The H1b petition cannot be filed without the J1-waiver. So, I am working here on very tight deadlines.

Can you please request the DOS to expedite the J1-waiver processing of my case (Case Number xyz) considering the dire circumstances?

Good luck. 

53 minutes ago, ps_j1 said:

Here's a follow-up email to senator rep:

Good luck. 

I wrote to my congressman’s office and got a reply immediately from his assistant saying she would help. I sent her the details and she said she would get in touch once she hears back from the DoS.
did you ever email the DOS requesting them to expedite it? They weren’t helpful to me 

1 hour ago, Bellmag said:

Yes, I really don't understand what is happening. I am tired, frustrated, and really scared about the near future on my family.

Here is a screenshot of my timeline

Capture.PNG

I totally understand. There are people who have their DS 2019s expiring in Sep 2021 and have received the FR within 2 weeks of NOS update and we are stuck here forever

Did you contact the DoS? Was the congressman enquiry of any help? What's the last date on your DS 2019?

Just now, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

I totally understand. There are people who have their DS 2019s expiring in Sep 2021 and have received the FR within 2 weeks of NOS update and we are stuck here forever

Did you contact the DoS? Was the congressman enquiry of any help? What's the last date on your DS 2019?

My DS2019 expires om May, 01 2021 ;((((. I did contacted the DoS after 20 week of application (late February) I received an email form then saying that my application is complete and that they will process it as soon as possible. I had also contacted them last week but did not have any answer.

Both the local congressman and the senator offices send a request for my application but still no replay.

When is your DS2019 expiring ??? how log it has been since you process started  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.