hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, hareru said:

Update : 

Finally today , 03/24/2021 I get my J1 visa waiver approved at USCIS  after a brutal  waiting of more than 5 weeks at USCIS .   what is remaining is receiving the physical copy of the  waiver from USCIS . Thank you all for your support and best wishes .

Hi @hareru,

With 5 weeks, do you mean from the date of the FR (as shown in the DoS website) or from when you obtained the I-767C (Notice of Action from USCIS)?

Also, where was your waiver processed? Was it based on the NOS?

Thanks

Just now, Mike Frinch said:

Hi @hareru,

With 5 weeks, do you mean from the date of the FR (as shown in the DoS website) or from when you obtained the I-767C (Notice of Action from USCIS)?

Also, where was your waiver processed? Was it based on the NOS?

Thanks

Hi @Mike Frinch  I waited 5 weeks after I get the I -767C ( Notice of Action ) . It was excruciating to wait that long after I already waited about 4 months to get the favorable  recommendation from the US State department.  Yes my case was NOS with no  governmental funding . I did received some  private research grants from a university  but noting from the US or my home country government .  It was supposed to be straight forward .   Good luck to you and others who are waiting  . I hope you will receive your waiver approval soon .

4 minutes ago, hareru said:

Hi @Mike Frinch  I waited 5 weeks after I get the I -767C ( Notice of Action ) . It was excruciating to wait that long after I already waited about 4 months to get the favorable  recommendation from the US State department.  Yes my case was NOS with no  governmental funding . I did received some  private research grants from a university  but noting from the US or my home country government .  It was supposed to be straight forward .   Good luck to you and others who are waiting  . I hope you will receive your waiver approval soon .

Thanks for sharing @hareru! 

I got my I767C on March 15. Hope to get the final decision soon. 

I can't wait for this nightmare to be over.

Hey all, just joining the J-1 Waiver bandwagon :) Wish me luck!

Case Mailed: 3/12/21
Case Delivered: 3/17/21
Check Cashed: 3/18/21
——PENDING——
Files Marked as Received:
NOS Marked as Received:
Favorable Recommendation:

Removal of Conditions (tbd)
2/6/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/7/24: delivered and signed for

2/9/24: text message with IOE receipt number received at 12:26pm

2/13/24: I-797 48 month extension letter and biometrics reuse letter available online, case updated to "actively being reviewed"

Adjustment of Status (5 months)
9/13/21: AOS packet shipped via FedEx

9/15/21: delivered and signed for

9/17/21: 4 text messages with IOE receipt numbers received at 8:45pm

9/24/21: Received 4 receipt notices in the mail and online access code

9/25/21: Biometrics scheduled for Philadelphia, ASC

10/18/21: Biometrics appointment completed for I-485 and I-765 (Code 3)
10/18/21: After biometrics, I-485 and I-765 case statuses immediately changed to "case is being actively reviewed"

10/28/21: I-693 deficiency notice uploaded online, case status still, "case is being actively reviewed"

12/29/21: Interview scheduled. Contacted Emma agent and they said it is on 2/7/22

2/7/22: I-485 approved

2/12/22: I-797 approval notice received for I-485 and I-130

2/15/22: Green card delivered by USPS

1 hour ago, Pizookie said:

Hey all, just joining the J-1 Waiver bandwagon :) Wish me luck!

Case Mailed: 3/12/21
Case Delivered: 3/17/21
Check Cashed: 3/18/21
——PENDING——
Files Marked as Received:
NOS Marked as Received:
Favorable Recommendation:

Usually takes 6 weeks for your documents to show up and another month for the NOS to show up

The processing largely depends on the end date on your DS 2019

Did you have any government funding or change programs?

I wish you luck

Hello everyone,

I am just here to share my nightmare and maybe hopefully get some advices/help/suggestions.

I am currently on a J-1 visa that expires on May 01, 2021. I had applied for a J-1 waiver on August 28, 2020. My application process stated on October 06, 2020 corresponding to over 24 weeks ago. I still don't have any decision. I have personally contacted the DoS but only got the generic email saying that my application was compete and that they will process it as soon as they can. I had also reach out to one congressman and two senators but still no news. 

My visa is a bout to expire and I am considering coming back to my home country.

8 hours ago, KYZ said:

Nothing... we did a congressional inquiry, we got a generic reply... you? 

I searched different websites and I saw on a lawyer's website that the new trend (which started by trump administration) is that it takes about 10 to 12 months to get a hardship waiver nowadays. He put some of his clients case on his website and all of them got their waiver from 10 to 12 months. 

I was not lucky, a couple of days ago USCIS denied my case. I am waiting to get their letter to see the reason they denied my case. I talked to my lawyer, she said it is most probably because my case took too long to get the waiver from waiver division of the department of state. That's why USCIS decided to deny my case. Such #######! they knew I was waiting for a response from Department of State. Now, I have to face a new challenge of asking USCIS to activate my case again (which seems to be a headache and more money to spend). 

This whole waiver process is bullshit. I don't get it, why should it take so long? this is so unfair. 

5 minutes ago, Aramcod said:

I searched different websites and I saw on a lawyer's website that the new trend (which started by trump administration) is that it takes about 10 to 12 months to get a hardship waiver nowadays. He put some of his clients case on his website and all of them got their waiver from 10 to 12 months. 

I was not lucky, a couple of days ago USCIS denied my case. I am waiting to get their letter to see the reason they denied my case. I talked to my lawyer, she said it is most probably because my case took too long to get the waiver from waiver division of the department of state. That's why USCIS decided to deny my case. Such #######! they knew I was waiting for a response from Department of State. Now, I have to face a new challenge of asking USCIS to activate my case again (which seems to be a headache and more money to spend). 

This whole waiver process is bullshit. I don't get it, why should it take so long? this is so unfair. 

Are you serious? Is it possible that the DOS denied it first? what does your status say on the DOS website? Do you contact the DOS if nothing on the status?
It can’t happen, if the USCIS sent the I612 to DOS it means that they see a hardship there... they can’t change their mind! The process is a hardship by itself... I am so sorry about this. 

=======FINALLY THE FR=======

On 24th I mailed the senator to request expedite the process telling my current visa will expire in june and I will be without job and will have to leave the country in midst of the pandemic if I don't receive H1b by june. And today, the FR is showing in the website. So I wonder if jumping and screaming paid off!?

Details of my case:

• Category: NOS
  • Time to FR after receiving NOS:  18 weeks
  • Ds2019: Issued for a three month internship in 2010 at a university
  • 212e category: none of the category for 212e (gov funding, skill set or physician) was applicable to me, it didn't say it in Ds2019, but J1-visa stamp said 212e is applicable to me without mentioning the reason.
  • Current visa/ expiration: F1-OPT/ 06/2021; In my statement of reason I didn't mention about expiration 
  • Home country: India

Thanks for all your support. 

The_FR.png

11 hours ago, KYZ said:

Are you serious? Is it possible that the DOS denied it first? what does your status say on the DOS website? Do you contact the DOS if nothing on the status?
It can’t happen, if the USCIS sent the I612 to DOS it means that they see a hardship there... they can’t change their mind! The process is a hardship by itself... I am so sorry about this. 

Yep, Sorry I didn't mean to stress you out. I need to wait to receive the letter from the USCIS. My case has been sent by USCIS in August 2020 (after four months of review) to DOS for a waiver decision. So, it means that USCIS first approved my case and then sent it to DOS for a FR. Fortunately, I have my work authorization valid till 2022, but I am not sure if it would automatically be nullified when my I-485 is denied. My lawyer told me we can not make any decisions until we receive the letter of denial and the reason for it. Honestly, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw on my USCIS amount that my i-485 was denied. 

My status on DOS still shows pending. Sending an email is useless as I did it four times before and every time received a generic response. 

Let's see, I'll keep you posted once I receive my letter (most probably today as it has already been a week). Wish me luck. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.