hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, M.A.B said:

Hi Mlle_Wanderlust, 

Thanks for asking, still no update, my status is still pending, last time, about a month ago, I got response after emailing them saying that your application was sent to Waiver Review Officer for further processing, I don't know what does that mean! now it is 5 month since they received the NOS and 7 months since I first sent my application!

I’m so sorry to hear that. Were you on government funding ? When does your DS2019 expire? 

1 minute ago, dm2003 said:

@M.A.B

Would you mind sharing possible details of your case?
Normally, as far as I know, visa transfer, sources of funds will be complicating factors of the processing. Besides, visa status, expiry date can also play certain roles.

Each of us here will absolutely have diverse background which reflects differences in our timeline.

Hope you will get great news soon.

Hi @dm2003 and @SG_J1

You’re absolutely right about that but what I found from an immigration attorney and the international office that J1 transfer to another university doesn’t count as a separate  J1 program and thus only one waiver is enough UNLESS the transfer involved government funding

However, if someone ends his/her J1 goes back and gets another J1 (intern to postdoc or something) then there are two waivers required since it was not on the same program. 

I think @SG_J1’s case was really complicated and I’m really glad he got the FR

Have any of you known of people under the NOS category being denied a waiver? 

13 hours ago, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

Hi @dm2003 and @SG_J1

You’re absolutely right about that but what I found from an immigration attorney and the international office that J1 transfer to another university doesn’t count as a separate  J1 program and thus only one waiver is enough UNLESS the transfer involved government funding

However, if someone ends his/her J1 goes back and gets another J1 (intern to postdoc or something) then there are two waivers required since it was not on the same program. 

I think @SG_J1’s case was really complicated and I’m really glad he got the FR

Have any of you known of people under the NOS category being denied a waiver? 

NOS waiver is basically guaranteed if it is due to skills list. It is also almost certain if it is due to funding of your home government. I only ever heard of NOS being denied if US government funding was involved. I found somewhere online how many NOS cases get denied each year and it was a tiny, tiny percentage (I am sorry I can not find the website anymore). I think you will be absolutely fine and will get good news soon. I know how desperate this waiting is but you will be ok!

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

@talboth

This is not the approval from USCIS.

My case is still like yours, received by another office.

I just let the others know that hard copy of FR from DoS still be delivered.

Hope our final approval by USCIS will be determined soon.

Wish everyone luck

Timeline
On 3/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, HKAD said:

@talboth,it is very precise. I got the approval already.

Thank God, good luck everyone. Wish us here all the best, approved ASAP.

I attached here my full timeline so the later members can have a better view

image.thumb.png.07d1b538c448a52cfa94d62bb29a2731.png

Received scanned version of FR on March 9th by requesting WRD through email

Received hard copy of FR on March 15th by post

image.thumb.png.fd70702170ea1cfec3d4653d3258db6f.png

Hi All

I applied for J1 visa waiver and got favorable recommendation on February 11th ,2021  and I got a notice ( Form I-797C)  from USCIS on February 18, 2021 saying that they got my application but I did not received any update since then . When I check online in USCIS website it just says Case Was Received at another USCIS Office.  Is it normal for my case to be pending with USCIS almost one month now? From what I have seen in the forum, it should take one or two week for USCIS to reach it's final determination and send approval. Is there any one here who has similar time like me?  My case is NOS .

Thank you 

Timeline
6 hours ago, hareru said:

Hi All

I applied for J1 visa waiver and got favorable recommendation on February 11th ,2021  and I got a notice ( Form I-797C)  from USCIS on February 18, 2021 saying that they got my application but I did not received any update since then . When I check online in USCIS website it just says Case Was Received at another USCIS Office.  Is it normal for my case to be pending with USCIS almost one month now? From what I have seen in the forum, it should take one or two week for USCIS to reach it's final determination and send approval. Is there any one here who has similar time like me?  My case is NOS .

Thank you 

@hareru

What category are you in?
Mine & @talboth's cases are NOS.

Hope that you will get final approval real soon.

Wish everyone the best

Timeline
1 hour ago, hareru said:

I am NOS too. Thanks 

Would you mind sharing your timeline?

We are from a very diverse background. From many members here, there is a myriad of factors that can affect USCIS, the final decider.

Wish you and everyone else all the best.

Edited by dm2003

1 hour ago, dm2003 said:

Would you mind sharing your timeline?

We are from a very diverse background. From many members here, there is a myriad of factors that can affect USCIS, the final decider.

Wish you and everyone else all the best.

Thanks dm2003.  Below is my time and it is pending before USCIS  for final adjudication as of Feb 18 , 2021 

TimeLine.JPG

2 hours ago, hareru said:

Thanks dm2003.  Below is my time and it is pending before USCIS  for final adjudication as of Feb 18 , 2021 

TimeLine.JPG

Hi @hareru,

There is a chance that your status was never updated on their egov website and the mail might have been lost, both of which have been known to happen. Are you using my.uscis.gov to check status? That usually has more updated information. If both egov and my.uscis.gov shows received, please consider contacting USCIS emma chat or calling USCIS to ask about a status update from a live agent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.