J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

Any update on your case?

@Mlle_Wanderlust

Thanks for asking.

I sent the email to 212 waiver email and they replied that the processing is based on order of receipt and for NOS category it will be 12 - 16 weeks approximately (can be longer).

My embassy agreed to send NOS through email and was updated on website on SUNDAY 7th Feb.

image.thumb.png.864e29148a8550de360272826b8ffa49.png

Hello, I had a vexing question that some of you might be able to help me with.

What is the correct address for the Embassy to send its NOS letter to the dept of state?

The USDOS website says the address should be:

Waiver Review Division
U.S. Department of State
CA/VO/DO/W
SA-17, Floor 11
Washington, DC 20522-1711

The Barcode instruction to the Embassy says that the Embassy should send their letter to:

Waiver Review Division
U.S. Department of State
Visa Office
SA-17, 11th floor
600 19th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20522-1711

And the Embassy informs me that the letter was sent to:

US Department of State
Visa Office - CA/VO/L/W
SA-17, 11th floor
600 19th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20522-1711

PLEASE NOTICE THE MINOR DIFFERENCES. Which is it to be? All my docs are now listed on the web portal of the DoS nearly 6 weeks after I posted them. The Embassy letter was also sent then but does not, as yet, show up online.

Thank you anyone and everyone for your help!

Edited by abacus_abc

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Dear all,

I checked my status tonight and... I have received the DoS favorable recommendation, barely a month after my NoS was updated as "received"! Just for the record, I have been checking my status on a daily basis and only today did I see the finding as "Favorable Recommendation," even though it says that the recommendation was sent on the 17th, three days ago.

image.thumb.png.721593ed3467a2fff1fe712ae403368a.png

Again, if I was to analyze what possible factors made my application to move so fast, all I can say is that my case was very much as vanilla-straightforward as it gets and that I did specify in my application the July start date for the job I have been offered and accepted, which is a tenure-track faculty position at a UC-system campus.

Although the path ahead is still not without its uncertainties–Biden does not seem poised to remove the March moratorium on H1Bs, but neither inclined to prolong it–I am, as you can imagine, hugely relieved.

I finish with a note of encouragement and best wished for everyone in this process. I have greatly benefited from the information posted here and will keep posting.

Timeline
11 hours ago, JACR said:

Sharing my experience

Favorable recommendation was sent, but how long may this take to get USCIS final answer?

Some info:

Nationality: Colombian

I started the process sending the docs to DoS in Sep 30th 2020.

My DS2019 expires Jun30-2021

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 8.37.47 AM.png

20 hours ago, Oriol said:

Dear all,

I checked my status tonight and... I have received the DoS favorable recommendation, barely a month after my NoS was updated as "received"! Just for the record, I have been checking my status on a daily basis and only today did I see the finding as "Favorable Recommendation," even though it says that the recommendation was sent on the 17th, three days ago.

Again, if I was to analyze what possible factors made my application to move so fast, all I can say is that my case was very much as vanilla-straightforward as it gets and that I did specify in my application the July start date for the job I have been offered and accepted, which is a tenure-track faculty position at a UC-system campus.

Although the path ahead is still not without its uncertainties–Biden does not seem poised to remove the March moratorium on H1Bs, but neither inclined to prolong it–I am, as you can imagine, hugely relieved.

I finish with a note of encouragement and best wished for everyone in this process. I have greatly benefited from the information posted here and will keep posting.

Congratulations to you @Oriol & @JACR

It looks like around 2 months after the NOS updated on the system, you guys got the Favorable Recommendation. And if the case is straightforward, it should occur that way.

My NOS is updated on Feb 7th, and hopefully I, still hope, can see some updates after 2 months then.

Finger crossed.

Timeline

Just got this great news this morning after waking up.

Never thought that I could get this quick determination from DOS.

I wish everyone who applies for Waiver will get great results.

image.thumb.png.61bfbeb41f63d548197676c37c173fd9.png

Edited by dm2003

Timeline

Dear all,

Update:

I received today by email a scan of the FR letter, i.e. a week after the FR was issued and four days after it was updated on the system. I have been assigned to the USCIS Vermont Center. I plan to wait for a couple of weeks before calling USCIS to try to find my case number in order to start tracking the status of the waiver itself.

As usual, good luck to everyone!

On 2/20/2021 at 11:00 PM, Oriol said:

Dear all,

On 2/23/2021 at 5:45 AM, dm2003 said:

Just got this great news this morning after waking up.

Never thought that I could get this quick determination from DOS.

I wish everyone who applies for Waiver will get great results.

image.thumb.png.61bfbeb41f63d548197676c37c173fd9.png

Congratulations!

What was the end date on your DS 2019? Did  you send them additional documentation like an offer letter etc.?

Timeline

@Mlle_Wanderlust

When I submitted the package, I had a supporting letter from my current company's HR.

My DS2019 will end very soon on May 31, 2021.

I sent an email explaining my dire status right now.

As you can say, those would be contributory to the quick determination.

Thanks for asking.

Wish all the best to everyone.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:07 PM, KYZ said:

Not really sure why, it is so stressful. I hope you’re luckier, it took USCIS 10 months to send the I612 to DOS. I hope your timeline continues to show a short trend... 

I did not email them, as our immigration attorney strongly recommended against it as it could result in negative outcomes. We submitted evidence that I am (was) on the frontline with fight against COVID-19, including first author publications... still nothing 

Any updates on your case? have you received FR yet?

Dear Members,

The J1 document were delivered on the 5th of Jan, 2021. The case was recently updated on DOS website on the 26th Feb, 2021. All other documents were received except for the No Objection Statement. However, the Embassy has already sent out the No Objection Statement on the 22nd Jan itself and I have received the hard copy via mail as well.  Does the No Objection Statement update takes time after the creation of the case even though the Embassy has sent it out before ? Should I ask the Embassy to re-send it ?

Thanks

Himank   

Timeline

Hello @HKAD. It's anybody's guess. In spite of much speculation, nobody has been able to explain how some people's NOS is updated almost immediately upon release from the embassies and some people's take four months or more. For some people the NOS took forever to show in the system, but then the "favorable recommendation" came relatively quickly afterwards. A widespread speculation around here has it that impending DS-2019 expiration and other "hard" deadlines (job offers, etc.) may have an effect in speeding up the process. The bottom line is, though, that the whole process and the vast differences in a positive outcome (some people have been in this more than a year and a half; some have received "favorable recommendation" in about a month after application) are an unfathomable pit of mystery. The one resource that seems to work for certain is congressional pressure, and if you dig deep in this forum you will find people who have done it and instructions on how to do it. My layman's view though is that it might be still too early for you to do that. Right now the DOS gives 4 months for the whole procedure as the standard processing time.  

@Oriol Thanks for a detailed explanation. The entire process is not very transparent and straightforward. May be others have faced the same issue but it took them 2 months just to create the case. In addition as per the website there processing time only starts once they have all the documents including NOS. So basically they dictate the processing time depending on the online status update of the NOS. 

I guess the only way out is to show patience and hope for the best.

Will keep you all updated with respect to status of the case.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.