hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

@Jacobian I got the favorable recommendation from DoS on a No objection basis on November 16th, and got a hard copy a few days later by mail. I am still waiting on the final determination from the USCIS. I have contacted them by phone several times with no luck. I don't have any receipt number. Did you contact them? Do you have to file any additional form in the USCIS to get a receipt number (the I797c) by mail?  (I didn't file a I612 form as I think it doesn't apply for the No Objection Waiver case)

@FBA In my case it has been more than 2 months without any updates (or way of checking my status) at USCIS. If you have any tips on how to get the receipt number I would greatly appreciate it! 

I repost my timeline in case it is useful for someone. I will file a congressional inquiry to see if I can find more on my status.  I will update it as soon as I have news:

image.png.79dcdda480e6d4b5b5dfbae3c1782dbd.png

Edited by scaice

@scaice I am sorry to hear that it is taking longer than expected in your case. I can understand the frustration because we do not have control over the entire process. Please hang in tight, the approval notice would just pop up in your mailbox unexpectedly in next couple of days. Sometimes the online update may take a while.

Many people in this forum have reported getting within two weeks, but YMMV. In my case, I never received the hard copy of FR from DOS, but I got both I-797C notice and the approval from USCIS ten days after the FR was updated. So I did not contact them for the receipt number, but there are cases in this forum where folks have gotten in touch with USCIS for their receipt number.

To your question about filing a separate I-612: As far I am concerned, I-612 is required for 'hardship' cases; so that should not affect your case as yours is based on 'no objection'.

Just now, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

I have heard that once we apply for a waiver the DS2019 can not be extended or transferred.

But there are members here who have got their DS extended after applying to the DOS-is there a rule anywhere mentioning this?

Apparently extending the DS2019 still works until you get the FR but getting a visa stamp abroad/immigrating into the US might not be possible anymore from the moment you submit the application (Hear different things about this, might depend on the judgement of the visa officer). Make sure to check all of this with the visa officer of your institution or a lawyer if you are in doubt. In my case I did not want to take any risk so I extended the DS2019 to its maximum duration before applying to waiver and did not leave the US.

1 minute ago, SG_J1 said:

Apparently extending the DS2019 still works until you get the FR but getting a visa stamp abroad/immigrating into the US might not be possible anymore from the moment you submit the application (Hear different things about this, might depend on the judgement of the visa officer). Make sure to check all of this with the visa officer of your institution or a lawyer if you are in doubt. In my case I did not want to take any risk so I extended the DS2019 to its maximum duration before applying to waiver and did not leave the US.

Is it possible to transfer to another institution on a J1 once we have applied for a waiver?

3 minutes ago, Mlle_Wanderlust said:

Is it possible to transfer to another institution on a J1 once we have applied for a waiver?

I am not sure about this, I would check with the institution. However, I remember darkly that this can be problematic as it can subject you to the 2 year rule twice and you might end up needing a second waiver!

Edited by SG_J1

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Just a quick question, if it is not appropriate here please let me know where I should post it.

My DS2019 is going to end soon.

Can I switch to F visa for another master? I didn't have a US master but finishing my Academic Training.

Appreciate feed backs

Thanks.

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, dm2003 said:

Just a quick question, if it is not appropriate here please let me know where I should post it.

My DS2019 is going to end soon.

Can I switch to F visa for another master? I didn't have a US master but finishing my Academic Training.

Appreciate feed backs

Thanks.

Hi @dm2003. As far as I understand, you can:

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/change-status-j-1-to-f1-visa.html

I finally got the approval notice from USCIS!  It arrived inexplicably to Bogota, Colombia (my home country), even though the DoS favorable recommendation arrived to my current address in the US and the address at USCIS is also my US address.

Thanks for all the help from people in this forum!

Below my final timeline in case it is useful:

July 23 2020: Sent DS-3035 and other documents

Sep 13th 2020: DoS received DS-2019, Fee and Statement of reason

Sep 21st 2020: DoS received NOS from Colombian Embassy

Sep 28st 2020: DoS received DS-3035

November 16th 2020: DoS sent favorable recommendation

November  21st 2020: Received physical copy of favorable recommendation to US address

Jan 28th 2020: Received physical copy of i797c (dated Nov 27th) and i797 (Dated Dec 7) to address in Bogota Colombia.

Before getting the physical copy I tried calling the USCIS several times but the were not helpful (even though my case was approved since Dec 7th!!)

Good luck to everyone waiting and thanks again for all the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.