hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, qwopqwop said:

My docs were received Jan 11 and there is no update whatsoever. Whenever I try to email I get a dismissive reply saying “no action is required on your part at this time,” which is annoying, because it’s not like I’m kicking back and relaxing here. I’m about to lose my job offer…

People who are delayed more than others in this thread: did you state any kind of urgency in your statement of reason? I didn’t, because I thought there was plenty of time. I’m wondering if that affected anything. 

I didn't.

By the way, the processing time they set is 16 weeks maximum. You might want to contact them in the following week since you will reach the maximum.

hello guys!

My FR was approved on 3/30 on the system, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet. it's been 26 days. I see in forum that most of the applicants receive a notice in mail latest in a week. I'm wondering if this is normal or I should be worried...I contacted USCIS bit was unsuccessful to get a receipt number as well.

Thank you all!

12 hours ago, metehan said:

hello guys!

My FR was approved on 3/30 on the system, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet. it's been 26 days. I see in forum that most of the applicants receive a notice in mail latest in a week. I'm wondering if this is normal or I should be worried...I contacted USCIS bit was unsuccessful to get a receipt number as well.

Thank you all!

I am in exact same situation, got FR on 03/31, but since then no update. 

First of all, I finally got my FR from the DOS. So I would like to share my timeline. All my documents marked as delivered on 10/13/2021.

image.thumb.png.57e999c9578b8040333dfd482188427f.png

Now I need the FR to start the H1b application. According to my international office they can start the application with the FR by requesting to make the H1b and USCIS waiver review kind of merged. The problem for me is that this has to be done before the DS end date and well... my end data is on May 19th. So, now everything kind of hangs on this letter...

33 minutes ago, BrunoJ1 said:

First of all, I finally got my FR from the DOS. So I would like to share my timeline. All my documents marked as delivered on 10/13/2021.

image.thumb.png.57e999c9578b8040333dfd482188427f.png

Now I need the FR to start the H1b application. According to my international office they can start the application with the FR by requesting to make the H1b and USCIS waiver review kind of merged. The problem for me is that this has to be done before the DS end date and well... my end data is on May 19th. So, now everything kind of hangs on this letter...

Don't you need receipt number from USCIS? Or is it possible only with the information that FR has been sent?

Hi everyone. First post here, but I've been following the discussions here for a few months now.

I sent my package to DoS end of July 2021 (no objection based waiver). My home country embassy sent the no objection letter to DOS on October 2021. I finally got the FR from DoS on March 2022 after two help request from district representative, one before docs were update on J1waiver system, another time to get the recommendation issued after this was taking too long. See timeline of my case with DoS attached below.

Mid March 2022 I received a letter from USCIS (vermont) saying that my process (I-612) was received. From the information I gathered around, usually people get their final waiver from USCIS in their mail between 2-4 weeks after they received the letter acknowledging the case receipt. It has been 6 weeks for me and nothing. I'm starting to get worried since I'm planning to go abroad to my home country at the end of May 2022 to get my H1b stamped (consular processing) and I need the piece of paper (waiver) from USCIS in hands for the interview at the US embassy. Online at the USCIS case status it still shows the message "Case was Received at Another USCIS Office". I called USCIS (customer service #) they confirmed they have my I-612 process, and said that the timeline for process this is between 2 weeks to 6 months (BS #1). They also said there is nothing I can do to expedite my process, I just have to wait. They also said that they analyze the cases in the order they come (BS #2, i know ppl with same timeline as me that got their final waiver from USCIS 1 month ago, 2 weeks after they received the receipt letter).

I contacted my district representative again (3rd time's the charm) about a week ago asking for help due to my urgency with the trip for consular processing already planned (i planned this 1 year ago never expecting that it would take this long for this j1 waiver to be issued), and they confirmed they reached out to USCIS. However I haven't heard back from USCIS yet. 

I was trying to reach out to see if ppl here are experiencing similar delay from USCIS and to ask if there's anything else I can do at this point. It has been 9 months since I started this process and honestly it has been a nightmare as the clock ticks and my legal presence in this country is getting close to be affected as I approach the end of my Academic Training.

Thanks and good luck for everybody that is going through this! 

image.thumb.png.620696009d19736896ffec23eca078c7.png

And didn't expect to see an update but there it is! FR appearing as sent on Apr 29th. 

I need to look back in the thread but what happens now? I know it's sent to USCIS but do I also receive something in the mail from DOS? And any idea on timelines for USCIS to make their decision and recommendations on what I should do to keep track of things going on there? 

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 9.43.55 AM.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.