hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, etcoflife said:

Hi Lako, I would suggest try requesting expedited service for your h1b. Loosing a job, financial losses, effecting your career is also some sort of humanitarian need. Because of a J1 waiver you might loose your career. No harm in trying. Keep us posted.

Hey, actually they already denied expedite processing based on h1b 🤪

17 hours ago, Lako said:

I have a question. How and when do I get a USCIS case number? Is it after the DOS processing is over? or I should have already received it?  
Also, I know that final decisions are made by USCIS. Is there any chance that DOS recommendation is not favorable, although USCIS still approves the waiver? 

Thanks!

Once the DoS finishes reviewing your J1 Waiver application, they will send a recommendation (favorable or not) to the USCIS. Then, and only then, the USCIS will generate a case number and send it to you. The USCIS doesn't even know your case exists until they receive a recommendation from the DoS. Therefore, they cannot approve (or reject) it before the DoS review. Based on previous cases reported here, I'd expect a case number from the USCIS in about 2 weeks from the date the DoS sent a recommendation to the USCIS.   
Hold tight my friend, you're almost there! Good luck!!! 

20 hours ago, Maldori said:

I saw many of the June 1st batch members got FR these days. Does anybody of those get USCIS approval? I am just wondering how long it takes from DOS FR to USCIS approval. Thanks in advance.

I got a request for documents. Basically the same set of documents we submitted long back. Some way to buy time. 

On 11/15/2021 at 4:04 PM, fguazuma said:

Hey everyone, just want to share my timeline and say I got the FR!!! 
Extra: DoS received my docs on 06/15/2021 and they update the website to show them as "received" 2 months later, as you can see on the timeline below. 

I'm waiting for my case number from USCIS now. 

image.thumb.png.710837ac2dfdb5b1d1c19fc7bba338af.png

Another update in my case: I received a letter from the USCIS today with my case number. 11 days after the DoS sent a recommendation to the USCIS.

I Received my J-1 wavier favorable recommendation from DOS In April 2020 (18 months ago) but never received I-612 from USCIS. I contacted USCIS and they told me that they have never received anything about my case from DOS, while DOS is saying that we send your information electronically to USCIS.

I am confused and worried about this situation. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

On 11/23/2021 at 1:51 PM, fguazuma said:

Another update in my case: I received a letter from the USCIS today with my case number. 11 days after the DoS sent a recommendation to the USCIS.

Hi, did the receipt notice arrive by a first class usps mail? I have mail forwarding from usps and is wondering if it will be forwarded to my new address thanks..

On 11/27/2021 at 5:56 AM, gurudayalsinghal9 said:

I Received my J-1 wavier favorable recommendation from DOS In April 2020 (18 months ago) but never received I-612 from USCIS. I contacted USCIS and they told me that they have never received anything about my case from DOS, while DOS is saying that we send your information electronically to USCIS.

I am confused and worried about this situation. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Have you been able to chat with Emma on USCIS website and get a receipt number? Having a receipt number makes it easy. Please search on this topic on how to get a receipt number and get one. 

On 11/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, fguazuma said:

I received my FR exactly that same day, but I haven't received my USCIS letter yet (case number). Did you sent a empty express mail letter in your package  addressed to yourself to DOS or like I did (regular stamped mail letter)?

Edited by LeoCV

On 11/27/2021 at 12:05 PM, Ari.7 said:

Hi, did the receipt notice arrive by a first class usps mail? I have mail forwarding from usps and is wondering if it will be forwarded to my new address thanks..

I already got rid of the envelope, so I'm not sure if it was first class USPS, but I know for sure it was delivered by USPS.

1 hour ago, LeoCV said:

I received my FR exactly that same day, but I haven't received my USCIS letter yet (case number). Did you sent a empty express mail letter in your package  addressed to yourself to DOS or like I did (regular stamped mail letter)?

The company who is sponsoring my H1B hired an attorney office to submit all applications (J1 Waiver and H1B). I believe they sent an express mail envelope to the DoS. 

👉Suggestion to everybody: please, if you can afford it, use the best mail service available. These kind of applications (J1 Waiver, H1B, OPT, etc.) might change the course of your life. It might determine whether you can make a career in the US or you have to pack and leave to your country. I've seen multiple people reporting that their application packages got lost on the way to DoS/USCIS. See this as an investment in your career!  

I'm sorry that I cannot be of much help! Good luck everyone! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.