13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am new in the forum. I've tried to look for topics with my same issue but found none so far. I would like to have opinions from people/lawyers who are/were dealing with my same situation. 

I applied for AOS few days ago as our immigration lawyer suggested. I am married to an US citizen and crossed the border legally months ago, from Italy. The lawyer reassured us that I will eventually obtain the Green Card, since our strong historical/financial background but I am worried about work. I should receive my EAD in 6 months, hopefully, and this really gets me down. Living for lots of time without getting some honest money in the pocket really gets me down. I know people that can easily give me a fake SSN so I can start working, but I want to think twice before doing it. 

Is there any chance that it can come out during my AOS process? I will not use the SNN or other reasons but for work. 

I would be happy if someone can share experiences about this. I have not talked about this with my lawyer since she gets paid a lot only for simple questions. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You are not authorized to work without a valid EAD.....period....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

You are not authorized to work without a valid EAD.....period....

Thank you. I am totally aware of this and there is no need of a genius to understand that.  I just need other kinds of answers. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Your main problem would be that there are several layers of government that could prosecute it as a crime.  But moreover, especially with this president finding you can strip people of their citizenship if information that would have barred them from getting it was discovered later.  

That means you would never be free from possible deportation over it.  Even 15 years from now with a home and famil and citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
29 minutes ago, RockoUSA said:

I will not use the SNN or other reasons but for work

As if that makes it any better or less illegal 😆. At VJ all kinds of illegal activity are a no no. You are paying the price for adjustment of status which almost all other immigrants (except those with prior work authorization like H1B etc) who wanted to behave in a legal fashion had to pay.

To answer your question, there's no other legal option to work. You had the option for consular processing but chose this route, manage it.

PS: Although illegal work is forgiven, identity theft (or aggravated identity theft) is a felony which would preclude you from having the good moral character required to adjust status and naturalize. As someone said, even after you acquire citizenship it could be stripped if they discover you did not have GMC at the time you adjusted status.

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

As if that makes it any better or less illegal 😆. At VJ all kinds of illegal activity are a no no. You are paying the price for adjustment of status which almost all other immigrants (except those with prior work authorization like H1B etc) who wanted to behave in a legal fashion had to pay.

To answer your question, there's no other legal option to work. You had the option for consular processing but chose this route, manage it.

I know that is illegal and might sound funny to hear that. But I just enlightened it as all we all know with fake ssn you can make even worse actions(like getting loans or screwing someone else's credit score).  I said "but for work" also to point out that I am going to pay taxes for the few months I'd work. 

Consular processing unfurtunately, given the present times, meant I would not allowed to cross US for a time between 18 and 24 months(that's the average). 

Edited by RockoUSA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, RockoUSA said:

Consular processing unfurtunately, giving the present times, meant I would not allowed to cross US for a time between 18 and 24 months(that's the average). 

Why do you say that?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 minutes ago, RockoUSA said:

I know that is illegal and might sound funny to hear that. But I just enlightened it as all we all know with fake ssn you can make even worse actions(like make loans or screw the credit score).  I said "but for work" also to point out that I am going to pay taxes for the few months I'd work. 

We know what you mean and sympathize with your plight but it is what it is. You could have been waiting 18-24 months in Italy and working while your petition is adjudicated. Yeah its a long time to be apart from your loved one, but she could visit and you could also visit to make it more tolerable. In any case that's already water under the bridge.

You can do some volunteering (which is not classified as work) or tour the the country to kill time.

Consular processing unfortunately, giving the present times, meant I would not allowed to cross US for a time between 18 and 24 months(that's the average). 

Not true. You can visit while undergoing consular processing.

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Why do you say that?

When we first had to decide which way to get, our lawyer told us that if I wanted ask for the GREEN CARD from Italy, so consular processing and not a AOS, it would have taken from 18 up to 24 months to be able to travel and work to US. Unless we are talking of two different things. 

That way, ok, I could still work in my country but at the same time could not see my wife for a long time. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
49 minutes ago, RockoUSA said:

Hello everyone,

I am new in the forum. I've tried to look for topics with my same issue but found none so far. I would like to have opinions from people/lawyers who are/were dealing with my same situation. 

I applied for AOS few days ago as our immigration lawyer suggested. I am married to an US citizen and crossed the border legally months ago, from Italy. The lawyer reassured us that I will eventually obtain the Green Card, since our strong historical/financial background but I am worried about work. I should receive my EAD in 6 months, hopefully, and this really gets me down. Living for lots of time without getting some honest money in the pocket really gets me down. I know people that can easily give me a fake SSN so I can start working, but I want to think twice before doing it. 

Is there any chance that it can come out during my AOS process? I will not use the SNN or other reasons but for work. 

I would be happy if someone can share experiences about this. I have not talked about this with my lawyer since she gets paid a lot only for simple questions. 

I don't know anybody who can give me a fake ssn. That is very very bad....

You should not even think about it ...

If you would have chosen to do a proper immigration you would have an SSN by now.

A SSN by itself doesn't allow you to work. U need EAD for that.

If you pretend to be a US citizen on the work eligibility form thats a NO NO, it will ban you from everything and eventually be kicked out of the country once discovered. Why do you want to start your new life by a lie which will catch up later and get you deported???

You said money is not an issue, so no reason to work illegally. 

Do some self improvmentz read books, clean the house, travel, go to meetups, hobby groups etc instead of working illegally.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Not true. You can visit while undergoing consular processing.

If you mean with a B-2 Visa, I was told that even with this, times are very long. Maybe I was told wrong

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.