2,976 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, DanyT. said:

Hey Cindy,

Yes you can file the divorce by yourself. I did it by my self downloading all the forms and printing them from home. I filed for my divorce on November 21, 2019 and I got the default from the judge on Februeary 20, 2020.

- Download the forms and fill them.

- Go to court and file it. (take with you envelopes and mail stamps). 

- If you don't have money you can ask the person in the court to give you a form to wave the fees. (then you can save $403).

- You have to serve your husband/wife about the petition with the summons. (He/she has to sign that he received the summons so, You can pay to the Sheriff office in your county or you can pay a server).

- After 3 attemps, you have two options (you will receive the result of he attemps):

1. If he/she received the summons and signed, you have to wait 20 days. If the other party didn´t reply the petition during this time, then you can file for the default.

2. if didn't receive the summons, you have to go the court and tell them that he/she was no notified, then you have to post to the newspaper about you are looking at that person for the divorce. The newspaper will send you a proof of the post. You also need other proofs that you tried to reach the other party , for example send emails mentioning about the divorce, contacting goverment agencies like foodstamps, unemployment, etc (if applies).

- After the newspaper post, you have to wait 40 days and go to the court and file for the default with all the previous proofs.

- You will receive a notice from the court with a hearing date. (some cases like mine, I received a notice for a mediation but that date the judge ordered the divorce with the default.

It tooks around 3 months because my ex-wife didn´t accept the summons because she didn't want the divorce so she delayed the process. If your partner sign the summons for sure will be faster.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for taking the time to response!

Filed: IR-4 Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello house ,

I submitted my i360 last year and it’s over a year now ,there is no update on my case I only received prima facie once ,I dnt use it cuz I dnt need it ..I’m after my case to be approved..i went to my USA army recruiter to apply with my EAD but he told me that I will need to present my green card and change my social security card as well ..i was so unhappy ..I have a great passion to be in the USA military but my green card is holding my back now cuz they told me I can only join with green card not ead ..please I’m just confused right now ..please what can I do ..I’m still in my 20s and I dnt want age to pass my by that I won’t be able to join the USA military anymore..I dnt know why is taking them so long to approve my case ..I’m utterly disgusted and unhappy right now ..I am serious praying and waiting for this green card to get my life out of this stuck ..

32 minutes ago, Blunt said:

Hello house ,

I submitted my i360 last year and it’s over a year now ,there is no update on my case I only received prima facie once ,I dnt use it cuz I dnt need it ..I’m after my case to be approved..i went to my USA army recruiter to apply with my EAD but he told me that I will need to present my green card and change my social security card as well ..i was so unhappy ..I have a great passion to be in the USA military but my green card is holding my back now cuz they told me I can only join with green card not ead ..please I’m just confused right now ..please what can I do ..I’m still in my 20s and I dnt want age to pass my by that I won’t be able to join the USA military anymore..I dnt know why is taking them so long to approve my case ..I’m utterly disgusted and unhappy right now ..I am serious praying and waiting for this green card to get my life out of this stuck ..

Hello..if the recruiter told you the greencard is required, then best believe there's no short cut..your i360 is still within processing time..you just have to be patient..it's not easy but what else can you do? Remember that when your i360 is approved, there's still the i485 to be adjudicated. The military is not going anywhere, it'll still be there when you're set..thank God you're still in your 20s! I pray your dreams come true!🙏🇺🇸

Filed: Other Timeline
18 minutes ago, CDIRL said:

Hello everyone.

I have just begun my I-360 journey. 

Receipt Notice 03/17

Everyone here seems so friendly and helpful. Very glad I found VJ, so that I can see the experiences of others first hand.

Welcome to the family 🤗😊

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline
1 hour ago, Blunt said:

Hello house ,

Do not be disgusted or unhappy,  you just filled last year, can you imagine there are people who applied in 2018 and they are still waiting on God for the right time? Army you can get into it until you are 39yrs. So no need of getting troubled. This might be hard but the only reality, wait and patience! Prayer and faith! Until then keep yourself busy with the job.

By the way you can only get in the army with a GC, so I believe you will cross that bridge and get in the army and serve this great country. 

Filed: IR-4 Country: Norway
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Ziongirl said:

Do not be disgusted or unhappy,  you just filled last year, can you imagine there are people who applied in 2018 and they are still waiting on God for the right time? Army you can get into it until you are 39yrs. So no need of getting troubled. This might be hard but the only reality, wait and patience! Prayer and faith! Until then keep yourself busy with the job.

By the way you can only get in the army with a GC, so I believe you will cross that bridge and get in the army and serve this great country. 

Thanks I just hope everything works out fine cuz I want to really achieve my dreams ..

25 minutes ago, Ziongirl said:

Thanks so much ..God bless you 

1 hour ago, CDIRL said:

Hello everyone.

Receipt Notice 03/17

Everyone here seems so friendly and helpful. Very glad I found VJ, so that I can see the experiences of others first hand.

Happy to have you here dear!😊 there's always a starting point..also try to go through earlier/previous threads, it will help you understand a lot much better as it pertains to this petition. I pray it all works out for you!🙏

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, CDIRL said:

Hello everyone.

Receipt Notice 03/17

you mean 3/2017 or 3/17/2020?..... welcome to vj

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 hours ago, Apolo said:

I have not recived an update on my I-485 and i was approved in september 2019. should i ask the congressman to make an iquary on my behalf or shoud i wait for the USCIS to reopen ? 

USCIS is just not open to the public but they are working.Ask your congressperson to inquire on your behalf.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.