mslanie_bells

Bringing my dog as check in luggge not in Cabin

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I will be travelling from Manila, Philippines to LAX as my point of entry next month. She isn't small enough to fit in the cabin with me. I want her to be on the same flight with me. And the only airline that can cater us would be PAL.

We'll be using Philippine Airlines to LAX. 

1) Can someone please shared to me their experience on bringing their fur baby to US? 

2) Where have you retrieve or get your fur baby once you landed in LAX. 

3) I'll have another domestic flight to Chichago once landed in LAX. Will a 4HR layover enough due to immigration? 

K1 Visa Adjustment of Status Timeline 
08/14/20 - AOS (I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) sent to Chicago lock box

09/04/20 - Check has been cashed

09/11/20 - Received NOA

10/29/20 - RFE for I944 

11/10/20 - Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received

04/30/21 - Biometric Appointment 

I moved from Israel to the US with my two dogs from Israel.

Depending on the country you are coming from, Philippines in your case, you need to research what documents are needed for your animals. In my case it was proof of vaccinations and good health. You also need to ensure that the crate you are traveling with meets all of the airlines requirements - if it does not there are kits you can purchase online.

Note that when travelling internationally with animals, as they go in the cargo hold of the plane, you need to research and find airlines that have climate controlled storage for animals. We flew Lufthansa via Germany with a 5 hour layover in Germany. 

Lufthansa was great in that they have a traveling pet lounge, so they unloaded our animals and we were able to take them out for a bit during the layover.

Also note that you are not allowed to give your animals any type of sedative, as if customs thinks the animals are sick or "out of it" when they come off the plane they can deny them entry.

Upon landing at our port of entry, it only took me about 40 minutes to be processed, and we could hear people calling outside asking "who has not claimed their animals", and my wife had to run out to let them know we are with immigration.

It also looks like the Philippines is listed as a rabbies high risk country and requires additional paperwork
https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/rabies-vaccine.html

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/traveling-with-pets.html

Edited by ProudlyConfused

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.