MiaBD

Application Package will be delivered same day as Public Charge Rule takes effect... how will USCIS know we sent it before Feb 24?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are working with Boundless for our AoS application. Now, Boundless comes with a UPS prepaid bubble mailer (2 day Air). We mailed the complete forms last February 19, Wednesday at 6PM. We know we mailed it on time, but we can’t do anything and it is now saying it will be delivered to USCIS in Chicago, Illinois on Monday, February 24, 2020 by the end of the day.

This is very worrisome because:

a) The Public Charge Rule takes effect on Feb 24. USCIS will NOT accept the current form of applications if they are postmarked on or after Feb 24. For applications sent by commercial courier (such as UPS, FedEx, DHL), the postmark date is the date reflected on the courier receipt. They will only accept applications postmarked BEFORE the 24th.

b) It is UPS. We were more focused on shipping it as soon as possible because that’s what we were told to do. We didn’t even understand what postmarking meant until now. I have been reading some other forums and I think only USPS does postmarking. May be mistaken, but pretty sure our package isn’t postmarked. It also said 2nd day delivery so we assumed it would get to USCIS on the 21st, but we didn’t have high expectations.

So I’m here to ask anyone if they know anything about the mailing process to USCIS. All we have is a photo of the prepaid bubble mailer (doesn’t include any date), as well as the drop-off package receipt (which has proof that we dropped it off to UPS on Feb 19). I am not sure how USCIS will know that the package was most definitely mailed before the 24th, in case it is not postmarked. Would they get a courier receipt showing the package drop-off date? We’re sure we would meet the deadline, but thanks to UPS’ not really 2nd day delivery + our bad luck getting unhelpful UPS representatives, and failure to be informed that postmarking could be crucial, we’re really scared and don’t know what to do. USCIS is closed on the weekends and UPS doesn’t consider weekends business days too. So this weekend is going to be tough until we get assurance that everything will be ok.

Edited by MiaBD

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, MiaBD said:

We are working with Boundless for our AoS application. Now, Boundless comes with a UPS prepaid bubble mailer (2 day Air). We mailed the complete forms last February 19, Wednesday at 6PM. We know we mailed it on time, but we can’t do anything and it is now saying it will be delivered to USCIS in Chicago, Illinois on Monday, February 24, 2020 by the end of the day.

This is very worrisome because:

a) The Public Charge Rule takes effect on Feb 24. USCIS will NOT accept the current form of applications if they are postmarked on or after Feb 24. For applications sent by commercial courier (such as UPS, FedEx, DHL), the postmark date is the date reflected on the courier receipt. They will only accept applications postmarked BEFORE the 24th.

b) It is UPS. We were more focused on shipping it as soon as possible because that’s what we were told to do. We didn’t even understand what postmarking meant until now. I have been reading some other forums and I think only USPS does postmarking. May be mistaken, but pretty sure our package isn’t postmarked. It also said 2nd day delivery so we assumed it would get to USCIS on the 21st, but we didn’t have high expectations.

So I’m here to ask anyone if they know anything about the mailing process to USCIS. All we have is a photo of the prepaid bubble mailer (doesn’t include any date), as well as the drop-off package receipt (which has proof that we dropped it off to UPS on Feb 19). I am not sure how USCIS will know that the package was most definitely mailed before the 24th, in case it is not postmarked. Would they get a courier receipt showing the package drop-off date? We’re sure we would meet the deadline, but thanks to UPS’ not really 2nd day delivery + our bad luck getting unhelpful UPS representatives, and failure to be informed that postmarking could be crucial, we’re really scared and don’t know what to do. USCIS is closed on the weekends and UPS doesn’t consider weekends business days too. So this weekend is going to be tough until we get assurance that everything will be ok.

Its called a postmark which is dated

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.