Doris2CA

Will they think my mom will be a public charge?

41 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, designguy said:

Medicare is only available after being a resident for 5 years

And even then, they have to buy into it until/unless they have earned 40 credits of work.

Looks like that's $458/month for 2020. Again, for just Part A.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

And even then, they have to buy into it until/unless they have earned 40 credits of work.

And who knows in 5 years, does you Husband know the commitments you are entering into?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I’d look into the published federal register rule on public charge/ 212(a)(4) (September 2019?) and go through the details. OMB approved the new form for it so I’m sure at some point (NVC or embassy level) they’ll start asking for its completion before deciding on visa. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1 hour ago, Doris2CA said:

So we checked my husband’s benefits and the parent must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B to be eligible to the flat premium rate of $290/month. Since my mom is just 63, she wont be able to. I checked healtcare.gov and coveredca.com and overestimated my mom’s needs for health insurance so it gave us plans lowest is $650 to $1100 per month. My question is, if my mom is able to immigrate and I will pay for an average $800/month for her healthcare plan and when she reaches 65, will she be able to apply for medicare just so we can avail of the parent medical coverage benefit that my husband has from kaiser? Thanks.

1 hour ago, designguy said:

Medicare is only available after being a resident for 5 years

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

^ this. And she clearly won’t get 40 credits of work. So overall, premiums for part A plus part B plus kaiser... is not going to be less than $800/m.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Doris2CA said:

Are these necessary to bring to the interview or we need to show it to them if indeed the consular officer denied my mom?

I don't think they are required at this point but I believe the consular officer can ask for them. I think in today's atmosphere being proactive is best! We are sending the health insurance information as well as the new 2019 tax transcripts once we get them, which hopefully will be soon as we filed about 2 weeks ago.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

^ this. And she clearly won’t get 40 credits of work. So overall, premiums for part A plus part B plus kaiser... is not going to be less than $800/m.  

Got it thanks!

Timeline
9 hours ago, Boiler said:

And who knows in 5 years, does you Husband know the commitments you are entering into?

Yes of course. He is the one who wanted my mom to come over. He doesnt care so much about the money, he knows it will

give my mom hope and we dont think my mom would be staying here all year. My mom would still want to go back to home country during fall and winter. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, tsabbas said:

I don't think they are required at this point but I believe the consular officer can ask for them. I think in today's atmosphere being proactive is best! We are sending the health insurance information as well as the new 2019 tax transcripts once we get them, which hopefully will be soon as we filed about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks! Hoping everything goes well with you. 

16 minutes ago, tsabbas said:

We have already been seeing posts on VJ - not a lot but some - for a number of months already about parents being refused on public charge grounds for health, or of the sponsor being asked to show expected healthcare expenses and how to pay for them. Long before the official new public charge rule. So definitely be proactive with this. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Doris2CA said:

Yes of course. He is the one who wanted my mom to come over. He doesnt care so much about the money, he knows it will

give my mom hope and we dont think my mom would be staying here all year. My mom would still want to go back to home country during fall and winter. 

Do not forget you are sponsoring her to be a legal permanent resident.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.