Lotherest

Passport Expiration prior to Scheduling k1 Interview at Embassy

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We have a K1 Petition and just submitted our DS-160. We are now at the stage where we can schedule our interview at the Manila Embassy.

However, I just realized that my fiancee, the beneficiary's, passport will expire on October 20, 2020. Due to that only being 8 months away, we have decided to get the passport renewed prior to going to an interview. Can anyone provide information as to how long it takes for a passport to be renewed?

Thanks for the information!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lotherest said:

We have a K1 Petition and just submitted our DS-160. We are now at the stage where we can schedule our interview at the Manila Embassy.

However, I just realized that my fiancee, the beneficiary's, passport will expire on October 20, 2020. Due to that only being 8 months away, we have decided to get the passport renewed prior to going to an interview. Can anyone provide information as to how long it takes for a passport to be renewed?

First, have you scheduled / secured an appointment to renew the passport yet ? Because if you have, the processing of the passport itself is from 2-3 weeks. 

Timeline

Not yet. She is currently working in Singapore and is coming back to the Philippines, Cebu on March 15th. She already resigned from her job there.

9 minutes ago, AGF said:

First, have you scheduled / secured an appointment to renew the passport yet ? Because if you have, the processing of the passport itself is from 2-3 weeks. 

I am also concerned about her K1 expiring while she is waiting for the passport renewal.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Lotherest said:

Not yet. She is currently working in Singapore and is coming back to the Philippines, Cebu on March 15th. She already resigned from her job there.

I am also concerned about her K1 expiring while she is waiting for the passport renewal.

There are no worries about the petition expiring, the embassy will extend the validity for up to one year.

You paid the visa fee and set up the profile/dashboard on USTRAVELDOCS ?

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

55 minutes ago, Lotherest said:

As AGF stated she can have the new passport in about 3-4 weeks after you complete application at DFA.  Need to make an appt online.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
Just now, Hank_ said:

There are no worries about the petition expiring, the embassy will extend the validity for up to one year.

You paid the visa fee and set up the profile/dashboard on USTRAVELDOCS ?

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

As AGF stated she can have the new passport in about 3-4 weeks after you complete application at DFA.  Need to make an appt online.

Does she merely bring her old passport and new passport to the interview thereafter? Her Ds-160 would contain information from her old passport.

And just out of curiosity is it too risky to just simply schedule an interview in March and then have her leave in April since her passport expires on October 20, 2020?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lotherest said:

Does she merely bring her old passport and new passport to the interview thereafter? Her Ds-160 would contain information from her old passport.

And just out of curiosity is it too risky to just simply schedule an interview in March and then have her leave in April since her passport expires on October 20, 2020?

Yes bring both passports to the interview.

It would be pushing the barriers to try and do this without renewing her passport.    Take the worry out, get the passport renewed.    

The passport process is much better at DFA now.  When my wife renewed her passport she scheduled her appt online, then at the appt she paid for the expedite and had her new passport (and old) delivered by LBC in about 2 weeks.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes bring both passports to the interview.

It would be pushing the barriers to try and do this without renewing her passport.    Take the worry out, get the passport renewed.    

The passport process is much better at DFA now.  When my wife renewed her passport she scheduled her appt online, then at the appt she paid for the expedite and had her new passport (and old) delivered by LBC in about 2 weeks.

Thanks! Do you have a link to the application online? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lotherest said:

Thanks! Do you have a link to the application online? 

I am also a bit concerned that they will keep her old passport. Did the entire process take less than two weeks?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Lotherest said:

I am also a bit concerned that they will keep her old passport. Did the entire process take less than two weeks?  NO, SHE HAD TO SCHEDULE THE APPT, AFTER THE APPT IT WAS ONLY 2 WEEKS FOR THE PASSPORT TO BE DELIVERED.

They will not keep the old passport, it will be returned.    

here is the website   https://www.passport.gov.ph/

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.