6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

So we're about to file I-485, my question is whether we need to include the I-864 again?

Me (the alien) had it during the K-1 interview, after which I discarded the documents (didn't wanna carry and be responsible for my fiancee's financial records), so unfortunately I don't have the whole Affidavit of Support package anymore. Does that mean we'll need to obtain the attachments such as employer's statement, bank statements, W2 etc once again? I still have the form and some other documents, can I use those or are we supposed to assemble a fresh new file?

Edited by jeaniecz

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Yes, you have to submit an I-864. For the K1, you used the I-134, which is different but needed the same supporting documents. 

From now on, always keep a copy of everything you send.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

Yes, you have to submit an I-864. For the K1, you used the I-134, which is different but needed the same supporting documents. 

From now on, always keep a copy of everything you send.

I have kept a copy of everything we sent. 

I haven't kept originals I had to bring to my K-1 interview. 

Thank you.

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

9 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

I have kept a copy of everything we sent. 

I haven't kept originals I had to bring to my K-1 interview. 

Thank you.

I am confused about what you do and do not have. So you have copies of everything, but the consulate kept the originals? Amsterdam is pretty good about sending back all original documents if you provide a copy at your interview as well.

But to answer your question, yes you have to submit the I-864, with the supporting evidence. If you still have the evidence you used with the I-134, you can use some of that again. We used my husband's employer letter again, even though it was not very recent anymore. It had taken several months to get that letter initially, so we decided not to try that again. I would include more recent paystubs, and the 2019 W2 if your spouse has that.

Edited by Marieke H

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

I am confused about what you do and do not have. So you have copies of everything, but the consulate kept the originals? Amsterdam is pretty good about sending back all original documents if you provide a copy at your interview as well.

But to answer your question, yes you have to submit the I-864, with the supporting evidence. If you still have the evidence you used with the I-134, you can use some of that again. We used my husband's employer letter again, even though it was not very recent anymore. It had taken several months to get that letter initially, so we decided not to try that again. I would include more recent paystubs, and the 2019 W2 if your spouse has that.

They kept the employer's letter and w2, so I still had the financial records after the interview, but wasn't comfortable carrying that kind of papers on me so I shredded them, also because I thought I wouldnt need them again. I'm not sure how they always do things at the CG.

But thank you again for the reply, I'll just make sure we get all the attachments and evidence required. It would have been smarter if I had kept all, but it's too late for that. 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:52 AM, jeaniecz said:

But thank you again for the reply, I'll just make sure we get all the attachments and evidence required. It would have been smarter if I had kept all, but it's too late for that. 

As stated above, please keep everything you file from now on. It is so much easier to be able to quickly retrieve something when they ask for it again. It's a long journey and stuff can get lost pretty easy. Personally I kept a identical copy of everything I had ever filed or sent in. Keep all originals and do not sent those unless specifically asked for, but do bring them with you to interviews. Parts of my file got lost and another part was misplaced for years. The first lost part I was able to quickly sent back in when the sent the RFE during the interview for the ROC I was asked for a divorce decree that had gone missing as well. I was able to hand over a copy so quickly that I did not even have to dig out the original.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.