Commish10

Extension of K1 Visa Validity

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is the response I received from the Embassy. I do not believe that it is as automatic as we may have believed. 

We are writing in response to your February 14 inquiry regarding the visa case of Ms. 

We note your concern regarding the validity of the K1 petition.

An approved K1 nonimmigrant visa petition (I-129F) is only valid for four months from the date of its approval, however, consular officers may revalidate the petition during the applicant’s visa interview if eligibility requirements are met.  Each revalidation is good for an additional four months.  However, if the officer determines that there is insufficient evidence of continued intent to marry, including instances where no action has been taken on the application in a timely manner (i.e., a visa interview for the applicant and submission of required documentation), the petition may be returned to the approving U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

We advise the petitioner or the applicant to remain in contact with the Embassy on the steps they are taking to proceed with the visa application.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

CONSULAR COMMUNICATIONS GROUP

Consular Section | U.S. Embassy in the Philippines

Edited by Commish10

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Commish10 said:

Here is the response I received from the Embassy. I do not believe that it is as automatic as we may have believed. 

We are writing in response to your February 14 inquiry regarding the visa case of Ms. 

We note your concern regarding the validity of the K1 petition.

An approved K1 nonimmigrant visa petition (I-129F) is only valid for four months from the date of its approval, however, consular officers may revalidate the petition during the applicant’s visa interview if eligibility requirements are met.  Each revalidation is good for an additional four months.  However, if the officer determines that there is insufficient evidence of continued intent to marry, including instances where no action has been taken on the application in a timely manner (i.e., a visa interview for the applicant and submission of required documentation), the petition may be returned to the approving U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

We advise the petitioner or the applicant to remain in contact with the Embassy on the steps they are taking to proceed with the visa application.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

CONSULAR COMMUNICATIONS GROUP

Consular Section | U.S. Embassy in the Philippines

Yup.  All you need to be doing is progressing with the visa application process ...   no rocket science here.    

You do not need to request the extensions ...     they will just validate the extension.  (automatically)

I do know of a few that went beyond the 4th month, because of waiting for police clearances and such*  ... never an issue.     (*neither SPUTUM or DOT will cause issues)

Are you concerned about going beyond the initial petition validity?   

To be honest most here NEVER get to the 4 month mark.    

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Yup.  All you need to be doing is progressing with the visa application process ...   no rocket science here.    

You do not need to request the extensions ...     they will just validate the extension.

I do know of a few that went beyond the 4th month, because of waiting for police clearances and such*  ... never an issue.     (*neither SPUTUM or DOT will cause issues)

Are you concerned about going beyond the initial petition validity?   

To be honest most here NEVER get to the 4 month mark.    

Yes, there is a possibility that we could exceed the 4 month mark. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Commish10 said:

Yes, there is a possibility that we could exceed the 4 month mark. 

Still nothing to be concerned about as long as you are progressing with the application process, you know:  creating your acct/profile on USTRAVELDOCS, paying the visa fee  ....  after that you could delay scheduling the interview for awhile and you wouldn't run into issues.

The visa fee is valid for 1 year  ;)  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.