0NI

re: Does a K2 turning 18 y/o need a parental consent

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everybody, were on the process of filing our K1 visa this March 2020. 

My daughter is turning 18 years old by the time she moves to the states, she will be following me next year as she is finishing her last year of Senior High School here (She is a K2 to follow).

I have my annulment papers with custody of my child ready (I also had it certified (red ribbon) at DFA).

Do we still need a written consent from my ex-wife?

has anyone here had the same situation? Thanks.

ROC filed September 9 2024

10 minutes ago, 0NI said:

My daughter is turning 18 years old by the time she moves to the states, she will be following me next year as she is finishing her last year of Senior High School here (She is a K2 to follow).

I have my annulment papers with custody of my child ready (I also had it certified (red ribbon) at DFA).

Yes you will need written consent from ex-wife unless your divorce says you have the "transport rights" aka allow the daughter to leave the country with you.

duh

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

Yes you will need written consent from ex-wife unless your divorce says you have the "transport rights" aka allow the daughter to leave the country with you.

Even if she is 18 years old?

I think we need to remember that in most countries a child is considered as an adult at the age of 18.. in which case, parents have zero control legally of them after that age.. ex can say as they like, it would never hold in home country court 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I think we need to remember that in most countries a child is considered as an adult at the age of 18.. in which case, parents have zero control legally of them after that age.. ex can say as they like, it would never hold in home country court 

I was thinking that too. Just want to confirm here if anyone has the same experience on their K2s moving to the state after they turned 18 y/o.

Like is the US Embassy here in the Philippines strict on K2s that are 18 years old and above?

I really need input on this as I don't want to talk to my ex. lol 

Edited by 0NI

35 minutes ago, 0NI said:

I was thinking that too. Just want to confirm here if anyone has the same experience on their K2s moving to the state after they turned 18 y/o.

Like is the US Embassy here in the Philippines strict on K2s that are 18 years old and above?

I really need input on this as I don't want to talk to my ex. lol 

I’m sorry I can’t help.. but totally understand that any and all court orders to the child normally expire on their 18th Birthday, I know that is the case here..

Good luck

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
1 hour ago, Duke & Marie said:

I’m sorry I can’t help.. but totally understand that any and all court orders to the child normally expire on their 18th Birthday, I know that is the case here..

Good luck

Just to clarifiy, I am the petitioner. So custody of the child was awarded to me. :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, 0NI said:

WoW!  That is very unique that you have full custody of the child ... you are the 2nd I have come across where the mother did not have custody.

You do NOT need anything from the mother, first for the obvious reason that the courts gave you full custody .. and the real BIGGY .. your daughter will be 18 years old before exiting the Phils

https://www.dswd.gov.ph/frequently-ask-questions-faqs/

Do make sure to have CFO-PDOS completed and the sticker in the passport

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Donald120383 said:

Wrong.      The daughter will be 18.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

WoW!  That is very unique that you have full custody of the child ... you are the 2nd I have come across where the mother did not have custody.

You do NOT need anything from the mother, first for the obvious reason that the courts gave you full custody .. and the real BIGGY .. your daughter will be 18 years old before exiting the Phils

Do make sure to have CFO-PDOS completed and the sticker in the passport

Thanks again Hank_.

Just making sure I have all my stuff ready so when the time comes I am not rushing things. Especially here in the PH, everything here moves so slow. lol

Timeline
2 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

Good luck

Thanks Duke & Marie. That's my understanding too. Was just making sure I'm on the right path. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.