CathRob

CR1 application

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

We are torn between filing a CR1 and K1 soon. My fiance will visit us next month as I am going to give birth too of our daughter. We can get married here in the Philippines but i have been reading lots of reviews for CR1 that it may took sometime to get approved. Average timeline is 11-12 months and can also stretch to 2-3 years. While K1 is the fastest to get to the US as long as we've  completed the requirements and no RFEs. I am also holding a B1/b1 visa and was thinking while waiting we can always visit US anytime while processing our CR1 application. Please feel free to comments and thank you in advance. 

Edited by CathRob

If the beneficiary is willing to not travel, not work and in general not do anything for 5-9 months and pay more fees then go ahead with the K1.

if you want to wait 2-4 months longer for the CR-1 visa, the beneficiary can travel immediately, apply for jobs immediately, and basically do everything, with less fees. 

CR-1 = faster green card, slightly longer foreign wait, less fees.

K1 = way longer wait for green card, together sooner, more fees. 

visa Issued

Its really what you want to wait for. As the previous person responded, CR1 you will wait longer but you get your green card and the fees are much less. K1 you will  physically be in the US sooner, but there are many more filings and fees afterwards. You have an awesome benefit that you hold a B1 visitor visa (multi-entry I assume?), which is rare now, so yeah you have an advantage that you can visit during the wait for CR1. And who knows how it will be for K1 visas now with public charge as you are required to file a AOS 485. Since I am in a similar location as your US spouse in the northwest I got my wife a Canadian V1 visa to visit there and stay with some of her family. 

Timeline

Thanks for the reply...yeah since am not in a hurry to live in the US, we can file Cr1 instead of K1. Thanks again for your comments.

Hi! I was also torn between these two, I also have a B1/B2 visa and I'm from the Philippines. We ultimately chose the CR1 due to values (like church wedding and all). I can feel your confusion too. But I have been told that it would be a bit hard or like questionable if you travel or visit to the US with the pending application (they wouldn't want you to stay beyond the allowed time). They said you should have solid proof. But hey, you gotta try right? Best of luck!

Edited by Don and Demi
Error

Timeline

Been researching others opinion too for this inquiry. I might go with with CR1 application since I have stable career here in the Philippines and just wait till the Cr1 application got approved. Also looking forward too to travel back to US as long as so can prove that I will go back as we need more supply of meds for my fiance. Some successfully entered US using their tourist visa but there were some got denied entry while they have pending Cr1 application. 😊

3 minutes ago, CathRob said:

Been researching others opinion too for this inquiry. I might go with with CR1 application since I have stable career here in the Philippines and just wait till the Cr1 application got approved. Also looking forward too to travel back to US as long as so can prove that I will go back as we need more supply of meds for my fiance. Some successfully entered US using their tourist visa but there were some got denied entry while they have pending Cr1 application. 😊

True! But worth the try right? Good luck! 😊

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 2/18/2020 at 1:04 PM, CathRob said:

Thanks for the reply...yeah since am not in a hurry to live in the US, we can file Cr1 instead of K1. Thanks again for your comments.

Another consideration for the Philippines is whether the visit will be long enough to actually accomplish getting married.  The US Citizen will need to visit the US Embassy in Manila or Consulate in Cebu City prior to starting the marriage license process.  If all goes smoothly and you have a good plan in advance, you can marry on the 11th day after applying for the license.  Sometimes there's a delay in getting an appointment for the pre-marriage seminar.  Women under 25, need parental permission as well.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

9 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Another consideration for the Philippines is whether the visit will be long enough to actually accomplish getting married.  The US Citizen will need to visit the US Embassy in Manila or Consulate in Cebu City prior to starting the marriage license process.  If all goes smoothly and you have a good plan in advance, you can marry on the 11th day after applying for the license.  Sometimes there's a delay in getting an appointment for the pre-marriage seminar.  Women under 25, need parental permission as well.

Yes this very true on the time frame. Good suggestion. Foreigners need a legal capacity letter from the consulate. For those planning to get married int the Philippines, depending on your local government requirements at the LCR, i would recommend 4 weeks for the process. There are several documents you need, several meetings (classes, meeting with govt employees, premarital counseling with a pastor, etc) prior to the application for marriage that need completion.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, MM&HM said:

Yes this very true on the time frame. Good suggestion. Foreigners need a legal capacity letter from the consulate. For those planning to get married int the Philippines, depending on your local government requirements at the LCR, i would recommend 4 weeks for the process. There are several documents you need, several meetings (classes, meeting with govt employees, premarital counseling with a pastor, etc) prior to the application for marriage that need completion.

Yes, church wedding requirements are different.  Usually the foreigner's CENOMAR can be obtained the same day before going to apply for the license.  The Pinay can get all their requirements in advance.  Depending on jurisdiction can schedule any seminar in advance as well.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.