Xiaoni

I-485 interview asking for US clearance reports

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi there, need some inputs on my case.

I did AOS interview for temp green card (K1 visa based) earlier, and got REQUEST FOR EVIDENCE letter asking to provide Police Clearance Records. The letter mentioned they had already received my clearance letters from Hong Kong and China, "submit records for all of your United States addresses in the last 5 years". 

I was entered in US on Jun 24th 2019 and submitted my I-485 form on Aug 2nd 2019. My address situation is staying in LA San Gabriel from Jun to Nov 2019 and Bay Area Sunnyvale from Nov 2019 till now (Feb 2020). I'm not sure why they ask for my US clearance record (I haven't stayed in US since submitting I-485), but I still decide to collect those documents and sending to them ASAP. Here my question is:

Do I need to submit 3 reports including San Gabriel Police office record + Sunnyvale Police office record + FBI record? Can I only provide one or two of them? (state one + FBI one) 

Or any other suggestions from you?

Thanks so much for your inputs!

IMG_6881.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have never seen them ask for US records, as they have access to everything stateside. And there is no way you are getting a FBI background check back in time for the RFE, as I request one every January with fingerprint card that is required, and it takes 14-16 weeks to get. Hopefully some other members have more input.

Another question, you say you haven't stayed in the US since submitting the I485. Did you leave the United States? You need AP to be approved before you can leave. Maybe I misread that part?

And that seems pretty fast for an AOS interview. My friend in San Francisco, San Jose area just got his after 13 months, and that was fast for that area of California. They even moved his interview to San Jose from San Francisco to speed up the process.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I have never seen them ask for US records, as they have access to everything stateside. And there is no way you are getting a FBI background check back in time for the RFE, as I request one every January with fingerprint card that is required, and it takes 14-16 weeks to get. Hopefully some other members have more input.

Another question, you say you haven't stayed in the US since submitting the I485. Did you leave the United States? You need AP to be approved before you can leave. Maybe I misread that part?

And that seems pretty fast for an AOS interview. My friend in San Francisco, San Jose area just got his after 13 months, and that was fast for that area of California. They even moved his interview to San Jose from San Francisco to speed up the process.

My English still needs to be improved, what I want to say is: I haven't stayed in US for more than 6 months since submitting I-485. Sorry to make you confused. 

It's faster than I thought, I also moved my interview from LA to Bay Area after taking finger print. BTW, is it the reason they ask me for clearance record? I processed my biometrics in LA but request interview in Bay Area.

Edited by Xiaoni

Note it's asking for Police Clearance Records for the last FIVE years from everywhere in the world.

Have you ever been arrested or charged with a crime anywhere EVER and did not disclose it on your I485 as you are required to?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Note it's asking for Police Clearance Records for the last FIVE years from everywhere in the world.

Have you ever been arrested or charged with a crime anywhere EVER and did not disclose it on your I485 as you are required to?

My crystal clear answer is NO. I never been arrested or charged in my whole lifetime, and I marked NO on all I-485 related questions. For last FIVE years I only stayed in China and Hong Kong, which I provided the correspondence Police Clearance Records earlier.

Any part I misunderstand?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Xiaoni said:

My English still needs to be improved, what I want to say is: I haven't stayed in US for more than 6 months since submitting I-485. Sorry to make you confused. 

It's faster than I thought, I also moved my interview from LA to Bay Area after taking finger print. BTW, is it the reason they ask me for clearance record? I processed my biometrics in LA but request interview in Bay Area.

Ok, that makes sense. But where you do biometrics shouldn't matter, it's all part of the same computer system, I don't think that has anything to do with the request. @K1visaHopeful  is probably more on target in that maybe you were in another country not submitted with the petition? It did ask for every where you have lived.

Of course it is the US government,maybe they made a mistake, but they aren't asking in the letter for places you stayed more than 6 months, they said anywhere you visited, did you visit any other countries maybe, even for a short time?

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Ok, that makes sense. But where you do biometrics shouldn't matter, it's all part of the same computer system, I don't think that has anything to do with the request. @K1visaHopeful  is probably more on target in that maybe you were in another country not submitted with the petition? It did ask for every where you have lived.

I only stayed in China and Hong Kong for the last 5 year and already submitted clearance reports for both, which the interviewer DID confirm with me in person during the interview.

Tricky part is, if he really asked me to provide the above 2 reports again, I don't have the original copy for both. What's worse, I don't even have the copy file for Hong Kong one, as Hong Kong Police office send the one and only original copy directly to them. Is it possible I should ask them for more details about what they require? 

It sounds like they found a record for you to me however small.

I'd contact your LE agencies AND courthouses where you lived prior and ask them to check.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The RFE seems to be very clear--they are asking you to submit police clearance records for all of your US addresses in the last five years.  The letter states that they already have the police clearance from Hong Kong and China, so contact the local city or county police departments for all of your US addresses since you arrived on the K-1 and submit those police clearance records to respond to the RFE.  It's an unusual request that we do not see often here on VJ, but the best rule to follow is to always respond exactly to an RFE and send them what they are asking for before the deadline stated in the letter.  Good luck!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It’s rare but sometimes they ask that when they cannot get some info from background check they do.

You don’t need a FBI report, they already have that. You just need to get the police report from the precincts serving your mentioned addresses.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
4 hours ago, carmel34 said:

The RFE seems to be very clear--they are asking you to submit police clearance records for all of your US addresses in the last five years.  The letter states that they already have the police clearance from Hong Kong and China, so contact the local city or county police departments for all of your US addresses since you arrived on the K-1 and submit those police clearance records to respond to the RFE.  It's an unusual request that we do not see often here on VJ, but the best rule to follow is to always respond exactly to an RFE and send them what they are asking for before the deadline stated in the letter.  Good luck!

29 minutes ago, arken said:

It’s rare but sometimes they ask that when they cannot get some info from background check they do.

You don’t need a FBI report, they already have that. You just need to get the police report from the precincts serving your mentioned addresses.

Thanks for your inputs! Now I have a clear idea about what they want, I'll go to get those reports from each local police office.

Actually, I have another 2 more things may need your analysis.

Firstly, besides the two address mentioned on my AOS application, I also lived in a third place temporarily for two months (company provide apartment which is close to my current address), is it better to provide the third one or just ignore?

Secondly, should I bring my real ID or passport to get police clearance report? Yesterday I got one from local police office using my real ID, but I just realize I entered US on Jun and got my real ID on end of Nov 2019, not sure USCIS will questioned about the 5 months' gap period.

Any idea from you guys?

Thanks sooooo much!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Xiaoni said:

Thanks for your inputs! Now I have a clear idea about what they want, I'll go to get those reports from each local police office.

Actually, I have another 2 more things may need your analysis.

Firstly, besides the two address mentioned on my AOS application, I also lived in a third place temporarily for two months (company provide apartment which is close to my current address), is it better to provide the third one or just ignore?

If it’s just temporary, you can ignore it.

31 minutes ago, Xiaoni said:

Secondly, should I bring my real ID or passport to get police clearance report? Yesterday I got one from local police office using my real ID, but I just realize I entered US on Jun and got my real ID on end of Nov 2019, not sure USCIS will questioned about the 5 months' gap period.

Any idea from you guys?

Thanks sooooo much!!

I’ll say bring REAL ID but keep passport with you just in case. Why would USCIS care about 5 months gap? You are allowed to not have any REAL ID whether DL or state ID. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

4 hours ago, arken said:

If it’s just temporary, you can ignore it.

I’ll say bring REAL ID but keep passport with you just in case. Why would USCIS care about 5 months gap? You are allowed to not have any REAL ID whether DL or state ID. 

I’d say get the police check done on all names you’ve been known by..Real ID post marriage and Passport pre-marriage.. but yes, odd they’re asking for them 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.