J&E2013

Moved to another state after becoming a US citizen

25 posts in this topic

Ouch...just noticed the OP is from PH. I was on my phone before and the flags don't come up.

Yeah, expect 25+ years then.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 hours ago, geowrian said:

Contact your Congressperson, and vote. This is in place by law.

As for the reason behind it, it is considered a need-based system for family reunification. There is generally not a high need to live in the same country as a sibling. Whereas a spouse, being together is deemed a very high need. Same for a minor child. Same for a parent (usually perceived as a means to take care of them as they get old).

The US is one of the few western countries that even allows immigration on the basis of being a sibling of a citizen.

Just some background info.

I understand that, but I didn’t know it’s gonna take forever to petition your siblings. I mean I can petition my parents but I’m afraid they might get denied because of their health issues. Especially I heard about public charged on travel state.gov website and I know healthcare here is so expensive compare to Philippines where it might be a little cheaper I’m not sure. But like I said they might see it as a public charge based on their health issues. I don’t know what to do, I guess I’ll just have to live with it. That I have no other family here except my husband coz we have no children 

14 hours ago, Lemon23 said:

petitioning siblings can take more than 20 years before they touch and approve your application for petition, so yeah i wont be so worried about the affidavit for support right now. 

9 hours ago, J&E2013 said:

I see, too bad. They should change that and hopefully it will be the same as petitioned for parents, spouses and children that doesn’t need to wait forever to get here. I guess even tho I really want them to be here with me but I’m getting discouraged about the fact that we all have to wait forever just to get them here.

The valued members of the forum have already given you good advice and information about sibling visas. But I want to add that most countries in the world do not even offer petitions for siblings. That is why so many people are in line for it in the US. Many immigrants know that can't bring over their siblings if they were in another country. Although it takes an extremely long time to bring over your siblings, rest assured that for now you have that option. Because there is no guarantee that this will be an option in the future for the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Part of the issue for you particularly is Philippines has a very high rate of immigration to the US, so immigrants are affected by the 7% quota per country per year (doesn’t apply to immediate relative categories). Add to that siblings are lowest priority. They are currently processing for visas, sibling petitions that were approved prior to July 1999 for Philippines.  This wait will likely continue getting longer over time. You may as well file it and see what you and your brother think about it in 20-25 years time when it gets current...

Yeah knowing that they were only processing for July 1999 then it would really take forever before they can review my file if ever. I might be dead by then by time they approve it. It’s crazy this immigration thing I wonder why there so many illegals here in our country. We do it legally but this is what we were going through. I don’t know if it’s the same in other countries when it comes to siblings but knowing that it will take more than 20 yrs is not worth it. 

11 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

The valued members of the forum have already given you good advice and information about sibling visas. But I want to add that most countries in the world do not even offer petitions for siblings. That is why so many people are in line for it in the US. Many immigrants know that can't bring over their siblings if they were in another country. Although it takes an extremely long time to bring over your siblings, rest assured that for now you have that option. Because there is no guarantee that this will be an option in the future for the US.

Yes I understand and I thank all of you guys that give me information all the inputs that you give to me about everything I need to know and I appreciate it. I told my brother everything, and if only I can find him a job here or employers that sponsor foreign employees I will. But ive been searching and I can’t find one unless your a nurse or have a bachelors degree. Yeah i heard about that trump will going to remove petitions for siblings? I don’t know if it’s true but I guess we have no choice. But anyway thank you guys, all of you who give me advice and information about everything. 😊

6 hours ago, geowrian said:

Ouch...just noticed the OP is from PH. I was on my phone before and the flags don't come up.

Yeah, expect 25+ years then.

Yes I am lol filipina here ☺️ 

I’m sorry but what do you mean flags don’t come up, I don’t understand lol 

25+ years is a long time 

2 hours ago, J&E2013 said:

Yes I am lol filipina here ☺️ 

I’m sorry but what do you mean flags don’t come up, I don’t understand lol 

25+ years is a long time 

On my phone, the country flags don't show up. On the desktop computer, next to your username is various profile information, including your country's flag.

I was just saying I didn't notice the country here because of that. Certain countries are oversubscribed and therefore have longer waits than others for sibling visas. PH is one of them.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 hours ago, J&E2013 said:

I understand that, but I didn’t know it’s gonna take forever to petition your siblings. I mean I can petition my parents but I’m afraid they might get denied because of their health issues. Especially I heard about public charged on travel state.gov website and I know healthcare here is so expensive compare to Philippines where it might be a little cheaper I’m not sure. But like I said they might see it as a public charge based on their health issues. I don’t know what to do, I guess I’ll just have to live with it. That I have no other family here except my husband coz we have no children 

Unfortunately leaving family behind is one of the main problems with immigration, especially those who immigrate to be with a spouse. Is maybe moving back to the Philippines to be close to your family an option for you and your spouse?

4 hours ago, geowrian said:

On my phone, the country flags don't show up. On the desktop computer, next to your username is various profile information, including your country's flag.

I was just saying I didn't notice the country here because of that. Certain countries are oversubscribed and therefore have longer waits than others for sibling visas. PH is one of them.

Oh I see, now I understand what you mean about flags. I guess because there’s a lot of opportunities here no matter what country we came from especially from the PH. That’s the only disadvantage of coming from my country, too many people wants to come here to have a better life. 

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Unfortunately leaving family behind is one of the main problems with immigration, especially those who immigrate to be with a spouse. Is maybe moving back to the Philippines to be close to your family an option for you and your spouse?

I know, it’s so hard to leave your family behind. Sometimes I feel so lonely when you are in a different country and you have no family with you to talk to, I mean I call them most of the time but still it’s different when they weren’t there physically. Moving back to Philippines, it maybe an option for me one day when I get old and I’m by myself since we’re not lucky to have children but my husband he had family here so he doesn’t want to moved back to PH. So maybe one day I will moved back to my country or maybe not, who knows what the future holds. But for now I guess I just have to accept it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.