deemabrouk

Egypt AP list....

400 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Brava!

I read part of that thread on the Egypt site, and the only thing I can say I agree with is the sentiment that it makes us look weak and codependent for our partners to get here. Like 'omG! how can I eat when he's not here!'

Yes, the waiting is awful....yes, the disparity in wait times between family based petitions and work petitions is upsetting.....but that needs to be highlighted in a non-OTT way.

Easy for YOU to say...you filed after I did by a month and chances are you will get your noa2 long before me. CSC is working mid June already..Im being told I will have to wait probably past my 6 month mark BY USCIS. So before making comments about how "desperate" you dont want to seem...wait as long as US Wendy did...or many other from months LONG before yours STILL waiting for noa2's or visas to be issued. I wont lie...Im desperate to have my man here because I love him and want my life with him. In no way does desperate to have him here equal codependence. And no matter WHAT we say...even if the beneficiaries were ALL Irish in that article with NO age difference, the reaction would be the SAME. I KNOW..I married an Irishman and my sister in law swore it was for greencard. Doesn't matter what is said or how the reactions will ALWAYS be the same. Because they are not living here when we find them.

Sorry, I find it to be drama & histrionic. You (general you here) managed to make it thru the day before meeting your partner, didn't ya?

For reasons I shall not disclose publicly, my fiance and I haven't seen each other in the flesh for 16 mos.

And no it's not 'easy for me to say' but it's the truth as I see it. I'm not going to ball myself up under the covers and die because this journey of ours has taken so long. It's life. These are our choices and we both knew what we were getting into. And I actually find it especially hard since we lived together for 3 years and now all that's changed as well. So there were a lot of adjustments. But life goes on....we make due and get through the day...since every day is a gift, I'm not going to spend it crying over what I can't change.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it before talking to me about wait times...

This is not real strife. There are people dying right now....mothers burying their sons right now....there are people fighting for their lives right this very second. If this wait is the worst thing that's ever happened to you (general you here), then I envy the life you've had up until this point.

And as far as you saying I was unfair.....well, with the response that this article got, let alone how ridiculously obsessive the author painted VJers, let alone how half azzed an article it was in the first place....well I can't really imagine how anyone could be satisfied with the outcome. It did serve one purpose...couples in int'l romances who previously did not know about VJ now might come here. So it's good for traffic. Ewok can be really happy with it.. As for 'getting the word out'....regular Americans aren't going to give a toss about the 'plight' of a chosen path that we've all willingly pursued. Write your Congressmen/women...lobby for change...but 'getting the word out'? In this day and age, that article will be of more comfort to those concerned with security issues rather than a call to arms for people to help bring about change because we're tired of waiting.

I'd love to be able to respond differently, but I honestly can't in this scenario...

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I read part of that thread on the Egypt site, and the only thing I can say I agree with is the sentiment that it makes us look weak and codependent for our partners to get here. Like 'omG! how can I eat when he's not here!'

Yes, the waiting is awful....yes, the disparity in wait times between family based petitions and work petitions is upsetting.....but that needs to be highlighted in a non-OTT way.

Easy for YOU to say...you filed after I did by a month and chances are you will get your noa2 long before me. CSC is working mid June already..Im being told I will have to wait probably past my 6 month mark BY USCIS. So before making comments about how "desperate" you dont want to seem...wait as long as US Wendy did...or many other from months LONG before yours STILL waiting for noa2's or visas to be issued. I wont lie...Im desperate to have my man here because I love him and want my life with him. In no way does desperate to have him here equal codependence. And no matter WHAT we say...even if the beneficiaries were ALL Irish in that article with NO age difference, the reaction would be the SAME. I KNOW..I married an Irishman and my sister in law swore it was for greencard. Doesn't matter what is said or how the reactions will ALWAYS be the same. Because they are not living here when we find them.

Sorry, I find it to be drama & histrionic. You (general you here) managed to make it thru the day before meeting your partner, didn't ya?

For reasons I shall not disclose publicly, my fiance and I haven't seen each other in the flesh for 16 mos.

And no it's not 'easy for me to say' but it's the truth as I see it. I'm not going to ball myself up under the covers and die because this journey of ours has taken so long. It's life. These are our choices and we both knew what we were getting into. And I actually find it especially hard since we lived together for 3 years and now all that's changed as well. So there were a lot of adjustments. But life goes on....we make due and get through the day...since every day is a gift, I'm not going to spend it crying over what I can't change.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it before talking to me about wait times...

This is not real strife. There are people dying right now....mothers burying their sons right now....there are people fighting for their lives right this very second. If this wait is the worst thing that's ever happened to you (general you here), then I envy the life you've had up until this point.

And as far as you saying I was unfair.....well, with the response that this article got, let alone how ridiculously obsessive the author painted VJers, let alone how half azzed an article it was in the first place....well I can't really imagine how anyone could be satisfied with the outcome. It did serve one purpose...couples in int'l romances who previously did not know about VJ now might come here. So it's good for traffic. Ewok can be really happy with it.. As for 'getting the word out'....regular Americans aren't going to give a toss about the 'plight' of a chosen path that we've all willingly pursued. Write your Congressmen/women...lobby for change...but 'getting the word out'? In this day and age, that article will be of more comfort to those concerned with security issues rather than a call to arms for people to help bring about change because we're tired of waiting.

I'd love to be able to respond differently, but I honestly can't in this scenario...

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I always think it's interesting that people cannot function from day to day without their man with them. Of course I am happy that Hicham is here, but I wasn't miserable every single day while I was waiting for him. I'm not sure how healthy it is to be so dependant on having a man in one's life. That's just me I guess.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Some might perceive not being all torn up about not having your SO here as just not caring as much, i.e. not as deep of a connection, etc. It's all the way you look at things, and I don't think that trying to humiliate people for missing their SO via calling codependency is what this site is for.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
The comments are not important. Whats important is it is getting NATIONAL attention. No matter how the reporter made the article...many would be negative. But Wendy knew going in it was MOSTLY about Visa Journey...NOT about the visa process. We just hoped the reporter would use more of the information we provided regarding the horrible wait times and unfairness of this journey. The main idea...is that we get recognized. There is something about name dropping. So when we email someone like Oprah...we say..Im one of the members of the group recently featured on the front page of the Washington Post..... gives us more credibility. Doesn't matter how many negative commenters there are. We are going to get that no matter how GREAT the articles are written. Either way, Im sure USCIS doesn't like their faults and failures on the front page of the Washington Post. It WILL spread. It takes just one person, one voice to get the ball rolling sometime. This article is ONLY the start.

The more national attention this gets, the harder it may be for us to bring our loved ones over in the future. Even though my husband is from the middle east he has commented on how many middle eastern men are coming here. Although he does like it here, he says there are pluses and minues from Egypt and here, he does not feel the U.S is all that he thought it would be. Back in Egypt everyone talks about how rich everyone here is and he's learned first hand how far money doesn't go. I don't post here often due to the spats. I've read numerous threads on break ups and red flags. Women do not want to feel they are being used, but there are so many here with red flags hanging right in their faces and they choose to ignore them. I think the more attention this gets the more people will bring up age differences, religious differences, etc which could have an ill effect. He case could get ripped apart more than they even are now.

I'm sure this is not the first time someone has wanted to bring this to national attention. Face it, when we go into these relationships, we know it is not going to be easy due to many factors. I know how hard it is to wait and wait for you fiance or husband to get here. While we were on AR my son was placed on the list to have a kidney transplant. Not even that was considered enough of a medical emergency to speed up the process. I accepted that and went on. I had to be strong for myself and my son. Really, when I see people here say how depressed they are I wonder exactly what is going on in their life that makes there life so depressing. Are you depressed because you cannot be with the one you love, or are their other circumstances where you really need that person to comfort you. My husband got to meet my son for 6 days before my son had to leave us. Do I blame the goverment for this? No. Who knows, maybe if things were not being so nationalized, my husband could have been here sooner.

8-7-06 Visa received after 6 months of AR

9-1-06 AOS sent

9-20-06 Biometrics

3-5-07 AOS Approved

Some might perceive not being all torn up about not having your SO here as just not caring as much, i.e. not as deep of a connection, etc. It's all the way you look at things, and I don't think that trying to humiliate people for missing their SO via calling codependency is what this site is for.

I agree Jenn.... alot of it has to do with the wait though. I have been in the visa process since January and am going on 11 months with no end in sight do the CSC slowdown and now the crash at NVC// I could never imagine bashing another VJ person for missing their spouse. This paperwork has gotten me very down and strained me in every possible way.. financially... you name it

You're exactly right. Everyone deals with separation in their own way. It got harder for us to be apart the longer we were together, but we also talked much less on the phone, too. I'm sure some people would have thought of that as a red flag, but god, what would we talk about for two or three hours a day?

I really should send this article to my mom. I have a feeling, that as kind a woman as she is, her reaction will be 'No wonder it took C. so long to get his visa, look at all the people they have to sort through!' I fear that the sum total of the article is to just enlarge the stereotype from guys-marrying-Russian-brides to women-being-duped-by-poor-young-men. I guess it's progress of a sort, but it would take 100 more of these articles and a lot more ####### being slung.

For what it's worth, the slow down is for everyone, not just the CSC; they had to pull people to work on I-765s (law says they have 90 days from filing) that were massively filed at the end of July.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

For what it's worth, the slow down is for everyone, not just the CSC; they had to pull people to work on I-765s (law says they have 90 days from filing) that were massively filed at the end of July.

Our I-765 is still pending. Actually it makes me laugh because he got his green card nearly 2 months ago. You would think that they would just automatically cancel it out of their system.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Like I said- that's just me. We're all different and handle separation differently. I personally cannot understand how some people can't function without their SO and I'm sure that others can't understand how I and maybe even others are not in desperation while waiting for our SO's.

My intention was never to humiliate or bash.

Like I said- that's just me. We're all different and handle separation differently. I personally cannot understand how some people can't function without their SO and I'm sure that others can't understand how I and maybe even others are not in desperation while waiting for our SO's.

Nor really was mine, tbh. So I should apol for sounding harsh, but I'm honestly just giving my POV without malice towards anyone.

Jenn, I am not bashing someone for missing his/her SO. But to say things like 'I'm obsessed...it's all I ever think about'...well that's really all fine and well for each individual person, but when one is speaking as a member of a group, it gives off an impression that everyone's like that.

Which is what I'm taking issue with...I think it paints all of us in that light of 'I cannot function because my partner isn't here'

If someone wants to bash me for implying or outright saying I don't care enough for my fiance...well, I'll just laugh in her face, really. Cos at the end of the day, I don't need to justify my feelings to anyone...so (s)he can think what (s)he wants....

I once saw a guy with no arms paint beautiful pictures with his toes. Hell, if he can function, so can I.

As my dad always says 'no one's shootin at ya!'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Nor really was mine, tbh. So I should apol for sounding harsh, but I'm honestly just giving my POV without malice towards anyone.

Jenn, I am not bashing someone for missing his/her SO. But to say things like 'I'm obsessed...it's all I ever think about'...well that's really all fine and well for each individual person, but when one is speaking as a member of a group, it gives off an impression that everyone's like that.

Which is what I'm taking issue with...I think it paints all of us in that light of 'I cannot function because my partner isn't here'

If someone wants to bash me for implying or outright saying I don't care enough for my fiance...well, I'll just laugh in her face, really. Cos at the end of the day, I don't need to justify my feelings to anyone...so (s)he can think what (s)he wants....

I once saw a guy with no arms paint beautiful pictures with his toes. Hell, if he can function, so can I.

As my dad always says 'no one's shootin at ya!'

Thanks for clarifying, Lisa (and Sarah). I have to agree that I wouldn't like it very much if someone were to jump to conclusions about me and my relationship based on what they read in the article.

I only said something out of concern that people might feel hesitant to post here on VJ about anxiety over their separation out of fear of being ridiculed for being too "soft". Some of us breeze through this, and others can't function. I would guess that most people fall somewhere in the middle. I know that for me, it's important to appear to "have it together" to others. So during our separation, I didn't really vent to family or friends, just put on a happy face. Some days were a lot harder than others, though no one really would have known it.

I think that many of the things written here regarding the pain of separation are somewhat exaggerated. Most people get up, go about their daily business and get it all done, and maybe b!tch and moan a little bit along the way. If venting on VJ helps make things easier, then I say go for it.

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I can certainly function without my husband. Most times I'm ok with the separation but I gotta tell ya this last leg of the journey is starting to get to me and to him. I can't imagine for him not knowing from one day to the next if you're going to pack up all of your belongings and leave the only country you've ever known. His business is suffering because of it because his clients know he's leaving so they don't want to be so dependent on him, his friends are starting to drift away, etc. etc. It think it's a heck of a lot harder for the one who has to uproot his life, but we don't hear a lot from them on here about the pain of waiting.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

First of all I CAN function without my SO. Secondly, I have a father dying with Picks Disease, a mother with alzheimers and I am the ONLY caregiver of them both. I have health issues myself as well. So you dot have to talk to me about others worse off that have tragedy in their lives..I know all to well. WE each handle this differntly. My son in law spent 4 deployments in Iraq.

This is my last post. Good luck with your journeys.

First of all I CAN function without my SO. Secondly, I have a father dying with Picks Disease, a mother with alzheimers and I am the ONLY caregiver of them both. I have health issues myself as well. So you dot have to talk to me about others worse off that have tragedy in their lives..I know all to well. WE each handle this differntly. My son in law spent 4 deployments in Iraq.

No please do not go.. you are someone who wants to help and not everyone finds fault with you .. Not me.. I like you and I enjoy your posts.. please do not go

There are others of us here in intense pain over seperation from our spouses and lengthy delays... I am not sure exactly why lisa is on our board terrorising you but she likes MENA and frankly if she is happy here she is welcome but you should not be bullied off the boards and pushed with one nasty comment after another..

Lisa I really like you and think you are funny but sometimes, especially when you are dealing with another board that is from an area that you have nothing to do with , you should start to see where your posts are going... IF you see someone getting distraught, lay off them.. She is at the point she wants to leave the boards and this is a board for her particular region and you are a visitor. I fail to see how bashing her has helped the boards on MENA. She has tried to do things to bring attention to the immigration plight and the article did not come out like she had hoped but that is not her fault.... I think we should try to care about each other on here because for some of us, this is a huge support. I have survived some god awful things in my life and frankly immigration is up there because its a machine that turns slowly and you can do nothing to make things faster or better no matter how hard you try

kat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i'll second the motion that mrssnowangel stays. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.