Dogwood_Poet

Tax Refund Woes!

25 posts in this topic

I filled my taxes "Married filing jointly" since Kathlene and I married last year and got her ITIN # and all that good stuff. Now I got my/our tax refund check in the mail today and took it to the bank. THEY WOULD'T DEPOSIT IT! They said it had to be a joint account since it had both our names on it and they can't put her name on my account until she is here in person to sign the papers. So I am sure the same thing will happen when I get my state refund as well.

Has anyone else run into this before? I understand their concerns about fraud and the bank manager said the Treasury Dept would return the check without both signatures on the back.

OH well, I guess I will just put them both in the safe and wait until this fall and we can use the money for a short delayed honeymoon after she lands in the US.

Now I could mail them to Kathlene and have her sign them and mail two SIGNED checks back to me, but that doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

Maybe I should have filed 'Married filing separately' and I wouldn't have had that problem, but I must admit I didn't see this coming!

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

I filled my taxes "Married filing jointly" since Kathlene and I married last year and got her ITIN # and all that good stuff. Now I got my/our tax refund check in the mail today and took it to the bank. THEY WOULD'T DEPOSIT IT! They said it had to be a joint account since it had both our names on it and they can't put her name on my account until she is here in person to sign the papers. So I am sure the same thing will happen when I get my state refund as well.

Has anyone else run into this before? I understand their concerns about fraud and the bank manager said the Treasury Dept would return the check without both signatures on the back.

OH well, I guess I will just put them both in the safe and wait until this fall and we can use the money for a short delayed honeymoon after she lands in the US.

Now I could mail them to Kathlene and have her sign them and mail two SIGNED checks back to me, but that doesn't sound like too good of an idea.

Maybe I should have filed 'Married filing separately' and I wouldn't have had that problem, but I must admit I didn't see this coming!

Both of you need an account there? BS. You both need only endorse the check. That is check 101 standard.

Both of you need an account there? BS. You both need only endorse the check. That is check 101 standard.

Maybe I should clarify, they said if we ALREADY had a joint account, I could sign it and we both would not have to sign the check. Sorry if I was not clear.

I am just a little nervous about an endorsed check traveling that far through the mail, and by the time I mail it to her and I get it back it will be within a few weeks of her being her anyway.

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Go to another branch of your bank and see if they will cash/deposit it. Sometimes you get ppl who dont know what they are doing. If you try another branch of the same bank youll get better results. if that doesnt help, go to a check cashing place, it will cost you a bit but then take the cash to the bank and deposit it.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline
Go to another branch of your bank and see if they will cash/deposit it. Sometimes you get ppl who dont know what they are doing. If you try another branch of the same bank youll get better results. if that doesnt help, go to a check cashing place, it will cost you a bit but then take the cash to the bank and deposit it.

A check payable to A and B needs to be endorsed by A and B. The bank is not at fault for not cashing a check payable to A and B when only A is endorsing it. B has a joint claim to the funds and needs to consent to the funds being cashed out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would (with the blessing of my spouse) Just sign her name prior to going to the bank!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Direct Deposit is your friend.

:thumbs:

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
I would (with the blessing of my spouse) Just sign her name prior to going to the bank!!

you can always write on the back ... "for deposit only to acct (your account number)" ... send to her for signature .... then have it returned ... then you do your thing.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just deposit it at an ATM. My bank's ATM cashes everything - they never check any names.

I often sign and deposit my wife's pay cheques into our joint account or my personal account.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

I had filled out the Direct Deposit info, but the bank manager said it probably got kicked back when it didn't see Kathlene's name on the account.

Here interview is August 9th, so I guess I can wait until she gets here.

_________

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: Timeline

I had filled out the Direct Deposit info, but the bank manager said it probably got kicked back when it didn't see Kathlene's name on the account.

Here interview is August 9th, so I guess I can wait until she gets here.

Seems indeed that some banks are more ####### about it that others. The IRS does advise that:

A word of caution — some financial institutions do not allow a joint refund to be deposited into an individual account. Check with your bank or other financial institution to make sure your direct deposit will be accepted. Also, make sure you have the correct nine-digit routing number and your account number when selecting direct deposit.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=105957,00.html

Bottom line: You bank sucks.

Just deposit it at an ATM. My bank's ATM cashes everything - they never check any names.

I often sign and deposit my wife's pay cheques into our joint account or my personal account.

Agreed. My wife often gets checks with the wrong name on them, for example her nickname which she generally goes by and my surname (even though she never changed her surname after marrying me the b*tch ;) ). I just stick them into the ATM and even have endorsed them myself, they always clear.