J_mack93

K1 Interview Experience - London Embassy

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Prior to my Interview, I prepared a binder containing my DS160 print out (the one with the barcode), Passport (current and previous), x2 Visa Photos (they only required 1), email confirmation of my interview appointment & courier information, I-134 & supporting evidence, signed reaffirmation of relationship by the sponsor, police record (ACRO), original birth certificate, evidence of ongoing relationship, NOA1 & 2, Letter from NVC & photocopy of I-129F.

For the affidavit of support evidence we included:

- Tax transcripts 

- Signed letter from her company stating her position and salary, on company  letterhead

- 12 month bank statement

Pay Stubs

- A signed Letter from her bank, detailing when she opened her account and the  present balance. 

Everything that is bold and underlined is all that I was asked for on the day of the interview, but don't take that as advice as all you will need - I found it was better to be over-prepared for the interview.  

Here's my summary of the day:  

- Boarded tube from London Victoria to Vauxhall on the Victoria line, then walked (5-10 mins) from Vauxhall underground to the US Embassy.

- Prior to the airport style security screening, you'll be greeted by an officer who will ask for your appointment confirmation email and passport for inspection. You will also be asked to unlock your phone and open an app.  NOTE, laptops are not permitted into the building and they will require you to drop it off at a nearby cafe where they will look after it for a "small charge". 

- After security you will queue at the reception area. I was towards the end of a rather long queue for 20 mins without moving an inch, until 11:25am, when they rapidly started scanning everyone's DS-160 then would notify you where exactly to go. I still made my appointment on time for 11:30. When they scan your DS-160, they'll put a sticker on it with a reference number - pay attention to this as this will be shown on a screen when it's your turn to see an officer. 

- After reception, you'll take the lift to the 1st floor, take an immediate left, then another left at the end of the corridor. You'll find yourself at a waiting area with 7 or 8 kiosks. You'll wait here until your reference number is shown on one of the screens. 

- In my case, my number was shown immediately. An officer asked for my passport, ds160, I-134 & evidence, visa photo, police records and birth certificate. In return, he handed me the results of my chest x-rays from the medical, and also a document notifying me of my rights as a spouse in the U.S. He returned me my birth certificate and visa photo (he only needed a photocopy). He asked for my finger and thumb prints, then invited me to take a seat until my number was called up again. 

- 25 mins later my number was again displayed on the screen. I was called to a different kiosk, where an officer asked me to raise my right hand and affirm everything I was to say was honest. He asked me one question - "tell me about your fiancee'". I proceeded to tell him how we met, what she does for a living, where she stays, our wedding plans, how many times I've seen her since 2017 and about the engagement. His response was this - "I have no more questions, all I'm looking for is that everything makes sense, and this makes perfect sense."

And that was it. Extremely painless. All together, I was in the Embassy for 40 mins. The officer informed me that my passport should be back with me within 2 weeks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Athy said:

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this? "You will also be asked to unlock your phone and open an app"

Thanks

There's a security guard at the door leading into the screening room - he'll ask if you have a laptop, then ask if you have a phone. If you do, he'll ask you to unlock it and open any app. I'm assuming it's just a minor security measure, probably to ensure your phone is a genuine device. Once I did so, he let me through to be screened. 

Hope this is clearer

On 2/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, J_mack93 said:

There's a security guard at the door leading into the screening room - he'll ask if you have a laptop, then ask if you have a phone. If you do, he'll ask you to unlock it and open any app. I'm assuming it's just a minor security measure, probably to ensure your phone is a genuine device. Once I did so, he let me through to be screened. 

Hope this is clearer

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.