Elmer/Bella

Round Trip vs. One Way tickets

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

One way is fine. 

One thing to consider about using round-trip to save money (beyond making sure you cancel) is that *some* airlines have gotten wise about folks gaming the pricing and are starting to penalize folks for not taking booked segments or return flights. If you have a frequent flyer account and use it to book a no-return round trip, it is remotely possible it could have consequences with the airline. Unlikely, but it does occasionally happen. 

Edited by tomatoboy

48 minutes ago, AnneA said:

I see 😳 but will a name, date, time be enough to prove it then? And how can you prove you didn't leave?

Usually by showing evidence of being in the US at some time after said date. Or if you have the info about the canceled flight, that would be part of it, too.

Like I noted, it should get resolved even if it happens. USCIS is not oblivious to mistakes with I-94s. But avoiding the RFE (or outright denial + needing to appeal) is a lot better than being in that position of having to show you didn't do something.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, boris64 said:

We used one way from the Philippines March 2019 no problems...Good Luck!

Yep.

Remember this one time, went from Manila to Hong Kong, for like a weekend, in like 2008.

Got to the airport in HK and Philippine Air (or was it CebuPacific) refused to let me board because I did not have a return ticket LEAVING the Philippines! I did not have a resident visa for the Philippines.

So, I stay in the Philippines, visited HK for a weekend, and the airline stopped me in HK and would not let me board!!!

Had to buy a round trip ticket (or have a ticket showing that I was going to leave the Phils at some point), just to board the plane TO the Phils.

Had to buy an EXORBITANT ticket, at a travel agent, right near the gate. Now I know a LOT better. Was it a scam...not sure. But they would NOT let me board.

I was NOT HAPPY.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

28 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Yep.

Remember this one time, went from Manila to Hong Kong, for like a weekend, in like 2008.

Got to the airport in HK and Philippine Air (or was it CebuPacific) refused to let me board because I did not have a return ticket LEAVING the Philippines! I did not have a resident visa for the Philippines.

So, I stay in the Philippines, visited HK for a weekend, and the airline stopped me in HK and would not let me board!!!

Had to buy a round trip ticket (or have a ticket showing that I was going to leave the Phils at some point), just to board the plane TO the Phils.

Had to buy an EXORBITANT ticket, at a travel agent, right near the gate. Now I know a LOT better. Was it a scam...not sure. But they would NOT let me board.

I was NOT HAPPY.

They are asking about leaving the Philippines on a K1 using a one way ticket. They will have no problems doing this. Your situation was a little different 😉

Finally done...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As others have stated, you can go with whichever option is less expensive. What you heard about the Philippines requiring a round trip ticket for a K-1 is just an urban legend that refuses to go away. 

HOWEVER...do NOT buy a round-trip ticket if you only intend to use the return leg. The vast majority of airlines have a policy which will cancel the entire ticket if you don't check in for the first leg. Unfortunately, that's usually the least expensive of the 3 possible ticketing options (but it's obviously not a good option).

My K-1 filipina fiancee flew one-way on Korean Air in August 2019 and had no problems. 

Edited by Matrix13
clarification

51 minutes ago, Matrix13 said:

HOWEVER...do NOT buy a round-trip ticket if you only intend to use the return leg. The vast majority of airlines have a policy which will cancel the entire ticket if you don't check in for the first leg. Unfortunately, that's usually the least expensive of the 3 possible ticketing options (but it's obviously not a good option).

More specifically, if you cancel or do not board one leg, any subsequent leg on the same coupon is usually cancelled. This includeds not just round trip tickets, but multiple one-way tickets purchased together in a trip.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, boris64 said:

They are asking about leaving the Philippines on a K1 using a one way ticket. They will have no problems doing this. Your situation was a little different 😉

@boris64 Yep, agreed, they can do that. (That is why it said "Yep" at the beginning. :))

(This just brought up a different, but somewhat related, painful memory.)

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, Elmer/Bella said:

I have heard that once your fiance' is ready to come to the US, that their ticket should be a round trip and not a one way. Is this advice coming from the US Embassy?  I understand that most round trip tickets are even cheaper than a one way. I'm just wondering about the messaging that the Embassy is sending.  What is your opinion? And for those of you lucky enough to have your fiance/wife here already, what did you do?  

Definitely hope not. In my case I would be buying 3 rt tickets plus mine to bring my fiance and her kids to the USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.