kevsheryl

K1 Assistance

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am seeking some guidance in processing my K1 Visa Application. After going through the forums I am not sure how to proceed. I am about to file but am trying to prevent the possibility of an RFE occurring. I met my fiance on filipinocupid.com. When I state how we met should I state it being through filipinocupid.com? If so, will I have to send paperwork stating they are exempt from the IMBRA? Should I just print and submit this with my packet? Appreciate any help, thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some will say to not to include or say anything but I think honesty is the best policy.

Filipinocupid is NOT a marriage broker. Just download their terms of service where it states that.

I included this with my 128f, noted the exact page and highlighted the paragraph. I had not issues.

Below is the response to my email to them.

Dear member,

Thank you for contacting us.

The intention of the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005 was to
regulate International Marriage Brokers and not to regulate online dating companies.
There are several fundamental differences between international marriage brokers
and online dating websites. This is why the International Marriage Broker Regulation
Act specifically exempts online dating companies from being classified as an
International Marriage Broker in section 4 (B) (ii) of the International Marriage
Broker Regulation Act of 2005.

Section 4 (B) (ii) of IMBRA exempts dating companies:

If its principal business is not to provide dating services between US citizens (or
residents) and foreign nationals and so long as it charges comparable rates and
offers comparable services to all individuals regardless of gender or country of
citizenship. Our company meets the above conditions required for an exemption
under Section 4 (B) (ii).
Specifically:

• Our principal business is not to provide dating services between US citizens and
foreign nationals. “Principal Business” as described under Section 4 (B) (ii) of IMBRA
relates to the principal business of the corporate entity as a whole and not to the
characteristics of an individual website operated by a business. We are not a US
company and we have paying and non paying customers from all over the world.
The number of non US men vastly outnumber the number of US men who use our
various dating websites. We are a diversified online dating company operating a
wide range of online dating services. Many of our dating sites attract large number
of users seeking a partner within their country. We operate websites based on
religion, occupation, sexual orientation or special interest where the majority of
people seek a partner within their own country. US men seeking a foreign partner
does not constitute the majority of our business.

• Our websites charge comparable prices regardless of gender. The price of
membership is identical for men and women.

• Our websites charge comparable prices regardless of country of citizenship. The
price of membership does not depend upon the citizenship of the individual. We are
an Australian company and our base price is in Australian Dollars. For convenience
we offer consumers the ability to pay in their local currency. The price that a
consumer pays will depend upon local taxes (if any), foreign exchange fluctuations,
the cost of doing business in that market and various other factors. Prices are
comparable for consumers in every market.

• Our websites have identical features and offer comparable services regardless of
gender. The website features and services offered are comparable for men and
women. When a user registers on one of our websites the user creates a detailed
profile. Male and female profiles are comparable. Male and female users have the
ability to perform a detailed search on the database or use any of the same site
features. The websites provide comparable features to any user of a particular grade
irrespective of the users gender.

Consequently, our company is exempt from The International Marriage Broker
Regulation Act 2005 as it falls within this exemption provided by Section 4 (B) (ii) of
the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act. Most other online dating
companies would be similarly exempted.

However, as a service to our members, we provide an optional IMBRA form on all
our websites for US residents to complete the required IMBRA background
information.  To complete the IMBRA form, logon to the website then select Update
Profile, then select the IMBRA tab. The completed form may be printed from our
website if desired. This may assist our members who wish to apply for USA K non-
immigrant visa in future.

Edited by AlaMike

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, kevsheryl said:

Hello,

I am seeking some guidance in processing my K1 Visa Application. After going through the forums I am not sure how to proceed. I am about to file but am trying to prevent the possibility of an RFE occurring. I met my fiance on filipinocupid.com. When I state how we met should I state it being through filipinocupid.com? If so, will I have to send paperwork stating they are exempt from the IMBRA? Should I just print and submit this with my packet? Appreciate any help, thank you.

Here is a guide that may help.    https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/uscis-petition-process.html

For Filipinacupid you need to print out their Terms of Service page on their website and include that with your I-129F petition.  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

14 hours ago, kevsheryl said:

Hello,

Follow Hank's advice. I met my former fiancé on Filipinocupid and had a successful K1 process with no problems. I know at least 3 other friends that used the site with no problems. The important thing you need to do is to send enough information about your interaction with your fiancé.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I met my fiancee thru FilipinoCupid and submitted my I-129F without the Terms of Service and still got approved.  Maybe we just got lucky, but I remember reading that FilipinoCupid should be well-known by now that it is not considered an IMBRA.  It is a good idea to be safe than sorry since your rolling the dice based on who is reviewing your documents.  Definitely follow Hank's advice.

event.png

Timeline
4 hours ago, apellica said:

I met my fiancee thru FilipinoCupid and submitted my I-129F without the Terms of Service and still got approved.  Maybe we just got lucky, but I remember reading that FilipinoCupid should be well-known by now that it is not considered an IMBRA.  It is a good idea to be safe than sorry since your rolling the dice based on who is reviewing your documents.  Definitely follow Hank's advice.

USCIS gave a lots of folks RFEs for the TOS from Filipinacupid .. you got lucky.   Or, USCIS finally made note that Filipinacupid isn't a marriage site (which I doubt, that would be too easy)  ;) 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

23 hours ago, Hank_ said:

USCIS gave a lots of folks RFEs for the TOS from Filipinacupid .. you got lucky.   Or, USCIS finally made note that Filipinacupid isn't a marriage site (which I doubt, that would be too easy)  ;) 

Hank,

Are you saying petitioners still received an RFE when they attached the TOS from Filipinacupid upon the initial submission?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, kevsheryl said:

Hank,

Are you saying petitioners still received an RFE when they attached the TOS from Filipinacupid upon the initial submission?

No, I am saying when the TOS wasn't initially included USCIS wanted evidence that filipinacupid wasn't a marriage broker .. thus the need to send the TOS from the get go

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.