Girandola

Double Marriage

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone! Hope someone can offer some assistance on this topic. We are waiting on our K1 visa because it’s the fastest way for us to finally be together. We’ve known each other since December of 2016 and have been engaged since December of 2017. My divorce finalized last month and I filed the petition.

Now for my question. As everyone knows, we must legally marry in the USA. My fiancé and I are both catholic and wish to have a catholic wedding in the Philippines before she comes to the US. But we’re being told that we must do a legal wedding. Does anyone know if there’s a way around this? Appreciate any advice 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marry in the Philippines and go the CR1 route, it is a much better option anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Girandola said:

Hello everyone! Hope someone can offer some assistance on this topic. We are waiting on our K1 visa because it’s the fastest way for us to finally be together. We’ve known each other since December of 2016 and have been engaged since December of 2017. My divorce finalized last month and I filed the petition.

Now for my question. As everyone knows, we must legally marry in the USA. My fiancé and I are both catholic and wish to have a catholic wedding in the Philippines before she comes to the US. But we’re being told that we must do a legal wedding. Does anyone know if there’s a way around this? Appreciate any advice 

If your priority is to marry in the Philippines, K-1 visa was not the one to choose.  As Boiler said, CR-1 is the visa you will need.

Edited by Jorgedig

Your fiance must be "free to marry" on entry to the US.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Girandola said:

There is no "work around" with the catholic church ..    

As everyone else has stated to satisfy the "wish" you will need to go the CR-1 spouse visa route.

Yes the K-1 is faster, by 3 months or so ... but no "wish"        You two have been an "item" for 3 years .. what is 3 more months?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Why not just have a wedding in both countries?  That's what we're planning to do but for family purposes as opposed to religious. 

We're planning to have a small wedding in the US (you could have a Catholic wedding so that in the eyes of the church you're married) and then a very large one in the Philippines later so that her family can attend.  

Edited by RT&MB

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
46 minutes ago, RT&MB said:

Why not just have a wedding in both countries?  That's what we're planning to do but for family purposes as opposed to religious. 

We're planning to have a small wedding in the US (you could have a Catholic wedding so that in the eyes of the church you're married) and then a very large one in the Philippines later so that her family can attend.  

The second would not be a wedding but more akin to a renewing of your vows.  Doesn't preclude it from being a gala event 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
55 minutes ago, RT&MB said:

^^^  We did this later.    One of those venue outfits, I would hate to think what it would cost in the states

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

6 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

^^^  We did this later.    One of those venue outfits, I would hate to think what it would cost in the states

I know right!  We've already priced it out in Tagatay for 350 people - it's 25% of what it would cost in the US.  

On 2/4/2020 at 9:58 PM, Girandola said:

CR-1 is the best option and, it is not much slower and many times faster than K-1.  When you take in AOS timelines and the CR is by far faster, cheaper and easier.  Trust me.  I did both.  K-1 was 11 months to interview and CR-1 was 9 months to POE.

Marry in the Philippines and renew the vows in the US.  Also, ANY wedding performed and registered by a licensed officiant is a legal wedding.  There is no difference legally between a justice of the peace wedding and a church wedding.  Both are considered legal.  Being married in a church doesn't make it more legal and getting married in a courthouse doesn't mean that God isn't with you.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

On 2/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, RT&MB said:

We had a courthouse wedding in April 2019 here in the States. The plan is to go back this April and on our anniversary do some kind of Nuptial Party)))

Finally done...

On 2/4/2020 at 10:58 PM, Girandola said:

While you will not be able to legally have a wedding in both places, espeically if you are wanting to do the K-1. CR-1 takes much longer than the K-1. Anyway, what my late wife and I did in 2015 was that we had what we called a pre-wedding. We did everything like a wedding, but did not sign any papers. We had vows, but we did not say the I Do, exchange rings or anything like that. It was a great and worthy experience and for me, was way better than the actual wedding in the USA with the actual signage, etc.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, coa24 said:

While you will not be able to legally have a wedding in both places, espeically if you are wanting to do the K-1. CR-1 takes much longer than the K-1. Anyway, what my late wife and I did in 2015 was that we had what we called a pre-wedding. We did everything like a wedding, but did not sign any papers. We had vows, but we did not say the I Do, exchange rings or anything like that. It was a great and worthy experience and for me, was way better than the actual wedding in the USA with the actual signage, etc.

Sounds like you were lucky, many are not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Sounds like you were lucky, many are not.

Too be honest it was quite cheap (American Standards). We only spent around 30k+ PHP with about 70 guest. We had a nice meal selection at a events location. Back in the states, the cost of the wedding was abou the same because we had church family that really helped us. 

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.