Letspaintcookies

January 2020 - AOS Filers (merged)

2,086 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 6/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, Nostalgia said:

Anyone with NOA1 date around January 10th, and haven't gotten AP/EAD approved yet?

(I didn't get RFIE, nor expedite)
I'm feeling a bit down today and feel like I'm the only one not getting approved😅

Trying to be positive and crossing my fingers for approval this week!!!

Still waiting!
Just in case there's anyone else without EAD/AP approval, I'm with you! Hang in there! It will come this week.🙏

Congrats to all with approval and job offer! 🙌

ROC mailed (from overseas) 7/7/2022

Delivered to lockbox in Phoenix AZ 7/18/2022

Text with case number & check cashed 7/25/2022 

Fingerprints applied 8/10/2022 

It says Approved!?!?  8/23/2022

Finally received the Green Card 9/30/2022

2 hours ago, M B said:

It changed to “Card was Mailed to Me” !! What will be the next update and how can i find tracking number?

Congrats! The next update will be “Card was picked up by USPS” and it will include a tracking number.

if you have informed delivery it might even show up earlier

Immigration Timeline:

K1 Filed: May 15th, 2019

K1 NOA1 Received: May 20th, 2019

K1 NOA2 Received: August 23rd, 2019

NVC Received: September 12th, 2019

Embassy Received: September 19th, 2019

K1 Interview in Bangladesh Embassy: October 28th: APPROVED!!

Visa On Hand: November 14th, 2019

POE Seattle, WA: November 23rd, 2019

MARRIED! (L) December 7th, 2019

Applied for SSN: December 17th, 2019

AOS Sent: January 11th, 2020

AOS Delivered: January 14th, 2020

SSN Manual Verification Complete: January 17th, 2020

Text Notifications of AOS Received: January 20th, 2020

SSN Received: January 22nd, 2020

AOS NOA1 Hardcopies: January 24th, 2020

Biometrics Notice: January 25th, 2020

Biometrics Appointment: February 4th, 2020

Case is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview: March 11th, 2020

EAD Expedite Request: May 26th, 2020

EAD Expedite Documents Submission: June 1st, 2020

EAD Expedite Denied: June 2nd, 2020

EAD and AP Approved Normally 🥳 🎉: June 10th, 2020

EAD and AP Received: June 22nd, 2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bars&Saqi said:

Congrats! The next update will be “Card was picked up by USPS” and it will include a tracking number.

if you have informed delivery it might even show up earlier

Thank  you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

@Zsazsa what's going on with your case? Anything new? Were you able to answer the RFE already? 

Heyyy sorry. I have been awol! I can’t take it anymore. Sent back the RFE the next day and still sitting here. Nothing. That was 8 days ago. Status updates to “information received” and then silence.... my job start date got extended to July 6 and I’m super doubtful that USCIS will get it together in time for me to start. Not happy. Miserable. 

ive called on Congress and senate for support and all they can do for me is give me an update that I am fully capable of obtaining myself. I feel 1000% helpless. 

sorry for the bummer post. I’m a mess. 

Edited by Zsazsa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Heyyy sorry. I have been awol! I can’t take it anymore. Sent back the RFE the next day and still sitting here. Nothing. That was 8 days ago. Status updates to “information received” and then silence.... my job start date got extended to July 6 and I’m super doubtful that USCIS will get it together in time for me to start. Not happy. Miserable. 

ive called on Congress and senate for support and all they can do for me is give me an update that I am fully capable of obtaining myself. I feel 1000% helpless. 

sorry for the bummer post. I’m a mess. 

I figured that it is something like that and that you needed a break from VJ. I'm crossing everything I have and I guess so does everybody else here that everything will work out in your favour. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Letspaintcookies said:

I figured that it is something like that and that you needed a break from VJ. I'm crossing everything I have and I guess so does everybody else here that everything will work out in your favour. 

I needed a break from everything - all social media. Like, I’m so upset about it I can’t take ppl asking “soooooo, did you start work yet...” and junk like that. 

I actually ‘ugly-cried’ last week because I am just so so done. I don’t understand. My expedited case changed from expedite approved to expedite denied for not providing enough evidence of an emergent case - or something. That SENT me. 

I’ve been told since then tgat it’s not cancelled (ok, so why does it say so?) The call centre has proven to be a total waste of time. Tier 2 is proving to be the same. 

im at a complete loss. Thank k you for the positive thoughts and well-wishes. I need them more than ever right now! 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
16 hours ago, Zsazsa said:

I needed a break from everything - all social media. Like, I’m so upset about it I can’t take ppl asking “soooooo, did you start work yet...” and junk like that. 

I actually ‘ugly-cried’ last week because I am just so so done. I don’t understand. My expedited case changed from expedite approved to expedite denied for not providing enough evidence of an emergent case - or something. That SENT me. 

I’ve been told since then tgat it’s not cancelled (ok, so why does it say so?) The call centre has proven to be a total waste of time. Tier 2 is proving to be the same. 

im at a complete loss. Thank k you for the positive thoughts and well-wishes. I need them more than ever right now! 

I'm sending you lots of virtual hugs!! I'm getting very anxious with my status too, but it must be tougher for you with job offer waiting.
I'm praying for both of us. It'll come this week!

ROC mailed (from overseas) 7/7/2022

Delivered to lockbox in Phoenix AZ 7/18/2022

Text with case number & check cashed 7/25/2022 

Fingerprints applied 8/10/2022 

It says Approved!?!?  8/23/2022

Finally received the Green Card 9/30/2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

So my husband has his EAD/AP card in hand but he still does not have a social security number. On the original form we sent, he answered “NO” to the question would you like a SSN assigned to you. The reason he answered no is because we naively thought that we could go down to our local SS office & get it assigned sooner. That is def not possible in Houston (we tried multiple times at multiple offices). Anyway, he is eager to get his license & drive, which requires him to have a SSN to obtain a license. Also, he needs to work.🤦🏽‍♀️ 

Since all of the SS offices are closed, we called. And they said that he would need to mail his EAD card & I94 in order to reapply for a SSN (even though we have already been to the office pre-pandemic & applied in person). As you could imagine, we are EXTREMELY weary about mailing the EAD off, especially since we have no idea when or if it will be safely returned. We’re very stressed out about this. I hate that after 6+ months of waiting, that our life is STILL on hold 😪😤

Has anyone else had to mail their EAD/AP off in order to obtain a SSN? If so, how did that pan out? Can anyone else offer any advice? If it were you in this predicament, would you proceed with the snail mail option? Or try to wait & see when the offices will re-open? Any suggestions please anything?😫

33 minutes ago, Tan&Ni said:

Hello,

So my husband has his EAD/AP card in hand but he still does not have a social security number. On the original form we sent, he answered “NO” to the question would you like a SSN assigned to you. The reason he answered no is because we naively thought that we could go down to our local SS office & get it assigned sooner. That is def not possible in Houston (we tried multiple times at multiple offices). Anyway, he is eager to get his license & drive, which requires him to have a SSN to obtain a license. Also, he needs to work.🤦🏽‍♀️ 

Since all of the SS offices are closed, we called. And they said that he would need to mail his EAD card & I94 in order to reapply for a SSN (even though we have already been to the office pre-pandemic & applied in person). As you could imagine, we are EXTREMELY weary about mailing the EAD off, especially since we have no idea when or if it will be safely returned. We’re very stressed out about this. I hate that after 6+ months of waiting, that our life is STILL on hold 😪😤

Has anyone else had to mail their EAD/AP off in order to obtain a SSN? If so, how did that pan out? Can anyone else offer any advice? If it were you in this predicament, would you proceed with the snail mail option? Or try to wait & see when the offices will re-open? Any suggestions please anything?😫

Hello!

I might not be the best person to answer this as I live in WA where we got the SSN a month after marriage and the DL even before my husband had an SSN (they are super lenient here). Are you sure they need SSN if you have proof of residency (docs in your name with marriage cert) and EAD

However, I would definitely not take the risk of mailing off my EAD. You have no idea when (Or if) you will get it back and it is way too precious to take a risk with - especially because that is the only hard proof of our status here (besides AOS noa1). 

can you call them back and ask if a copy of both sides of it will work? 

also, since many states seem to be on the path to reopening I won’t be surprised if the offices open up really soon. I would wait if I were you (I know it’s frustrating without an SSN) but that’s my two cents.

Edited by Bars&Saqi

Immigration Timeline:

43 minutes ago, Tan&Ni said:

Also, he needs to work.🤦🏽‍♀️

SSN isn't needed to begin employment. Though, it can delay his paycheck. See @JFH's experience with working before receiving the SSN: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/647628-enter-usa-with-ir1-visa/?do=findComment&comment=8798601

13 minutes ago, Bars&Saqi said:

Not possible. Pre-pandemic the only options were going in-person with EAD or mailing in the EAD to the local office: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm "Important You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. All documents must be current (not expired). We cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document."

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bars&Saqi said:

Hello!

I might not be the best person to answer this as I live in WA where we got the SSN a month after marriage and the DL even before my husband had an SSN (they are super lenient here). Are you sure they need SSN if you have proof of residency (docs in your name with marriage cert) and EAD

However, I would definitely not take the risk of mailing off my EAD. You have no idea when (Or if) you will get it back and it is way too precious to take a risk with - especially because that is the only hard proof of our status here (besides AOS noa1). 

also, since many states seem to be on the path to reopening I won’t be surprised if the offices open up really soon. I would wait if I were you (I know it’s frustrating without an SSN) but that’s my two cents.

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately in the state of Texas a social security number is a must to obtain a drivers license. And we did ask about sending a photocopy of the EAD, they said that wouldn’t be acceptable. They recommended sending a pre-addressed, stamped envelope along with the EAD to ensure it is to be returned right away, but still, I don’t trust it. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

SSN isn't needed to begin employment. Though, it can delay his paycheck. See @JFH's experience with working before receiving the SSN: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/647628-enter-usa-with-ir1-visa/?do=findComment&comment=8798601

Not possible. Pre-pandemic the only options were going in-person with EAD or mailing in the EAD to the local office: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm "Important You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies. All documents must be current (not expired). We cannot accept a receipt showing you applied for the document."

Thanks, I had no idea you could begin working without a SSN. Although working without pay (for an undetermined amount of time) sounds quite dreadful haha

10 minutes ago, Tan&Ni said:

Thanks, I had no idea you could begin working without a SSN. Although working without pay (for an undetermined amount of time) sounds quite dreadful haha

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10107.pdf

It states: "Do I need to have my number before I start working? We don’t require you to have a Social Security number before you start work. However, the Internal Revenue Service requires employers to use your Social Security number to report your wages. While you wait for your Social Security number, your employer can use a letter from us stating you applied for a number, and your immigration documents can prove your authorization to work in the United States."

So basically, you can definitely start work. They give you a receipt that you applied for an SSN so if the employer is being finicky you can provide them with the above pdf, and the receipt that you applied. 

My question is why weren't you able to apply at the SSA office? Why did they turn you away? As long as you have the application form filled out they should be able to take the information and put it in the system for you - especially with a EAD? We were able to do it with just the marriage certificate, unexpired I-94 and the passport. Since SSA is federal I would assume they follow the same protocols? 

Edited by Bars&Saqi

Immigration Timeline:

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Bars&Saqi said:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10107.pdf

It states: "Do I need to have my number before I start working? We don’t require you to have a Social Security number before you start work. However, the Internal Revenue Service requires employers to use your Social Security number to report your wages. While you wait for your Social Security number, your employer can use a letter from us stating you applied for a number, and your immigration documents can prove your authorization to work in the United States."

So basically, you can definitely start work. They give you a receipt that you applied for an SSN so if the employer is being finicky you can provide them with the above pdf, and the receipt that you applied. 

My question is why weren't you able to apply at the SSA office? Why did they turn you away? As long as you have the application form filled out they should be able to take the information and put it in the system for you - especially with a EAD? We were able to do it with just the marriage certificate, unexpired I-94 and the passport. Since SSA is federal I would assume they follow the same protocols? 

Thanks for the info on working without a SSN, that’s helpful. But he needs a license to be able to drive to work because Houston has very poor public transit & we live in the suburbs. And I work long hours so I’m unavailable to drop him off & pick him up.

We went in person 3 times to 2 different SSA to apply. We were told each time that we had to wait for the EAD to be assigned a number. They have us some bogus 1-800 number to call. When you call the number the 1st thing they ask for is your SSN. Literally nothing can be done in this state without it. I don’t understand why. That is what is frustrating me, that it varies SO MUCH from state to state. 🤬

Anyway, fast forward to today. My husband asked why can’t they just use his pending application that already exist from   when we were there in person & she said that if they don’t hear back/get approval from Dept of Homeland Security after 30 days then the application is discarded & we have to start the application from scratch AGAIN🤬

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.