Letspaintcookies

January 2020 - AOS Filers (merged)

2,086 posts in this topic

Hi January filers. I come on here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. 🙂

I was approved for my GC at the end of November but have recently just started my first job and passed my drivers exam (just got to go get my license.)  After all this time, it feels like life is just beginning. 🙂

To those who are still waiting, HANG IN THERE!! ❤️❤️ And to those who have been approved, are you driving or working? How is life treating you? It would be awesome to keep in touch with anyone who wants to and who knows, we may ‘meet’ again for ROC filing. 🙂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone who has already had their interview, did USCIS keep your certified copy of your marriage license? I just realized they ask to bring a certified copy but our interview is Tuesday and due to the weather situation in Texas, I don’t think I’ll be able to get one before the interview. I have our original, would that be okay?

1 hour ago, A&R2019 said:

Anyone who has already had their interview, did USCIS keep your certified copy of your marriage license? I just realized they ask to bring a certified copy but our interview is Tuesday and due to the weather situation in Texas, I don’t think I’ll be able to get one before the interview. I have our original, would that be okay?

Take a photocopy too. If they want to keep something they will keep the copy. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
16 hours ago, Meg101 said:

Hi January filers. I come on here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. 🙂

I was approved for my GC at the end of November but have recently just started my first job and passed my drivers exam (just got to go get my license.)  After all this time, it feels like life is just beginning. 🙂

To those who are still waiting, HANG IN THERE!! ❤️❤️ And to those who have been approved, are you driving or working? How is life treating you? It would be awesome to keep in touch with anyone who wants to and who knows, we may ‘meet’ again for ROC filing. 🙂

Driving in Mississippi is horrible. I could have easily died twice today not even five minutes apart. That was something to get used too. I work. Part time which means zero benefits whatsoever. I still can't wrap my head around how employees get threatened here in the US. It's so unbelievable different from Germany. But overall everything is going pretty good. No regrets 😁 

How is your new job? And you had to go the whole 9 yards to get your license? Glad I didn't had to do that. Only the written test. Waiting for my greencard in the mail so I can extend my DL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 2/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, A&R2019 said:

It took us about 10 days to receive the letter after case status changed, and interview was scheduled about 5 weeks out from the status change.

Thanks! Last question did they look for an updated or new medical exam? Civil surgeons are freakin expensive here in NY!

9 minutes ago, rocoblue said:

Last question did they look for an updated or new medical exam?

Most K-1 AOS applicants do not need a new medical:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or 

• The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] 

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28] 

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician.

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).

Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

How early should we arrive at USCIS before the interview? The notice says you can’t enter before 15 mins prior to the interview. But I drove by today just to make sure I knew how to get there and saw a line of people waiting outside, so I’m wondering now what time we should plan to arrive

Timeline
Just now, beefmaster2 said:

Got my green card today. See you all in 2023 for ROC!

Awesome congratulations 🎉🎉 mine is still somewhere in transit

On 2/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, Letspaintcookies said:

Driving in Mississippi is horrible. I could have easily died twice today not even five minutes apart. That was something to get used too. I work. Part time which means zero benefits whatsoever. I still can't wrap my head around how employees get threatened here in the US. It's so unbelievable different from Germany. But overall everything is going pretty good. No regrets 😁 

How is your new job? And you had to go the whole 9 yards to get your license? Glad I didn't had to do that. Only the written test. Waiting for my greencard in the mail so I can extend my DL

I feel like many drivers in Spokane are much more inconsiderate than they were back in my hometown in England.

Yes, I had to do the written test, get a learners permit and then do the practical driving exam.  I haven’t driven very much at all here because we have a lot of snow & I’m not confident in it. I also have to constantly remind myself ‘DRIVE ON THE RIGHT!’ 😂 

I feel the same that US workers have hardly any rights at all compared to the U.K. it was a real eye opener for me.  I am working full time and they do offer benefits (which I’m so grateful for.) Although, I’m currently trying to weigh up whether my insurance I have would be better financially to keep. I understand how my own insurance works with Kaiser permanente but I’m clueless about HSA’s and the health insurance offered by my employer!  I feel like every day is a steep learning curve while training for my new job. I am a healthcare worker so there is fear and risks for COVID. But hopefully I’ll be able to get the vaccine soon. 

Glad things are going well for you and I’m very excited for you to get your GC in the mail. Good luck on extending your DL. Hope your DMV experience is smooth. I recently went and it was great. Much quicker than pre-covid🙂

Edited by Meg101

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Meg101 said:

Glad things are going well for you and I’m very excited for you to get your GC in the mail. Good luck on extending your DL. Hope your DMV experience is smooth. I recently went and it was great. Much quicker than pre-covid🙂

Well it took me 6 hours to get my license. I was there 3 days after they opened again after the Covid closings and people were waiting since four in the morning to be first in line. Alsp somebody got arrested while I was there so that took some time as well 😂 Now they offer the option to make an appointment. That's the way to go this time 😁

14 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Well it took me 6 hours to get my license. I was there 3 days after they opened again after the Covid closings and people were waiting since four in the morning to be first in line. Alsp somebody got arrested while I was there so that took some time as well 😂 Now they offer the option to make an appointment. That's the way to go this time 😁

Oh no that sounds terrible. I had a long wait when I first went for my state ID, but now they offer an appt and you wait in your car and they text you when it’s time to go in. It was so fast I was very impressed! 🙂

Still waiting on any action or interview date for our case filed in January 2020; lived in New York and then moved to New Jersey (USCIS office is Newark); is anyone else on a similar time-frame with either of these offices? I called USCIS some weeks ago; they said my case is outside of expected processing times and that they'll send me an e-mail with an update; but nothing has happened yet

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.