Letspaintcookies

January 2020 - AOS Filers (merged)

2,086 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 12/4/2020 at 1:28 AM, HRQX said:

When you enter the US, you can try asking CBP for their version of the I-551 stamp: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Mar/2019 Carrier Information Guide - ENGLISH.pdf (page 31)

9AFWnZRC.jpg

It's the first one that says "CBP."

So my green card arrived while we were away in Cancun having our second wedding 😁😁 Came back yesterday and used my travel permit. Officer at Philadelphia airport just asked when was I approved, and he even let me show him a screenshot from my phone. They let me in no problem right after that.

So happy to have my green card in hand now 🎉

Best of luck to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone! Haven’t posted on this thread before, but my husband and I filed his AOS in Jan of 2020. Since early March, we’ve had our status as “case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.” I am wondering a couple of things:

1) His work authorization is due to expire in June of next year. Should we be applying now for a renewal? I’ve seen some sources online say not to do it until 4 months before and others say you can submit 180 days before expiration, so was curious what others think.

2) While I am working right now, I am due to begin medical school in July 2021. I am wondering, if our interview is right around then and I am no longer working as the sponsor, would we likely be denied? My husband has a job and has since he got his work authorization and at the time of submitting AOS we had included a parent of mine as a cosponser just in case. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone!

6 hours ago, A&R2019 said:

Hey everyone! Haven’t posted on this thread before, but my husband and I filed his AOS in Jan of 2020. Since early March, we’ve had our status as “case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.” I am wondering a couple of things:

1) His work authorization is due to expire in June of next year. Should we be applying now for a renewal? I’ve seen some sources online say not to do it until 4 months before and others say you can submit 180 days before expiration, so was curious what others think.

2) While I am working right now, I am due to begin medical school in July 2021. I am wondering, if our interview is right around then and I am no longer working as the sponsor, would we likely be denied? My husband has a job and has since he got his work authorization and at the time of submitting AOS we had included a parent of mine as a cosponser just in case. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks everyone!

1) Yes renewal can be filed up to 180 from the day of expiry of EAD

2_) Yes you may add parents as a co sponsor

duh

32 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Just got the update that my interview was scheduled. Now waiting for the letter with the date. I'm over the moon 🥳🥳🥳

The update came 30 minutes after I paid $13 to send my ead renewal application in...

must be the EAD renew triggered it . congrats 

duh

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

must be the EAD renew triggered it . congrats 

Just my thoughts about it? Should have thought about it earlier 😄 thank you

24 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Just my thoughts about it? Should have thought about it earlier 😄 thank you

Yeah i have heard several stories where renewal triggered AOS cases.  When are you scheduled ?

duh

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

Yeah i have heard several stories where renewal triggered AOS cases.  When are you scheduled ?

They said the status updated 30 min after they mailed out the package, so it's impossible the renewal triggered anything.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Just got the update that my interview was scheduled. Now waiting for the letter with the date. I'm over the moon 🥳🥳🥳

The update came 30 minutes after I paid $13 to send my ead renewal application in...

I am soooooooo happy for you!! Finally! Awesome. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Also, when does your original EAD expire? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

I am soooooooo happy for you!! Finally! Awesome. 

Thank you. Now all I can hope for is that nothing comes in the way of it.

7 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Also, when does your original EAD expire? 

End of April. I was thinking May the whole time and that I have some more time 😄

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Since I was in “Ready to be Scheduled” (late February), I have gotten:

- an EAD combo card

- a Florida Driver’s license

- a SSN

- a stimulus check

- a Job

- a Virginia Driver’s license

- 2 US bank accounts

- 2 US credit cards

Also I’ve submitted an EAD renewal and will most likely get another stimulus check.

What a ride! And yesterday, Dec 28th,  finally I got my interview scheduled, date TBD.

It took this long because we moved to Virginia and my case was sent (theoretically) from Jacksonville, FL to Washington, DC office. Still I wasn’t expecting this for another 4-5 months based on DC’s very long timelines.

Best wishes to all January filers.

Edited by maferraric

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
7 hours ago, HRQX said:

You got the SSN through EAD, or before EAD? I'm assuming you got stimulus because you filed 2019 taxes with the SSN.

Yes. I got the SSN like a month after the EAD (although I did requested it before, as in 3 weeks after I moved into the US, but it didn’t work for me), just in time to file 2019 taxes jointly with my wife, and so I didn’t have to request an ITIN. I just declared an estimation of my foreign income in 2019 that was exempt anyways. Usually my wife does her own taxes but since it was a little more complicated that time, we went to an HR block to have it done the best possible way.

Edited by maferraric

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post recommending an outside group has been removed.  This is impermissible here.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.