Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
5 hours ago, PatLuvO said:

I am a bit confused on this matter so maybe you can help me understand my fiancé has a certificate of registration of birth from Oyo State. Will he need to get an attestation? He was born 1988.

It was 1992 that Nigerian government started National population census (NPC). So if you were born in 1991, 1990, 1989 upward, what you will get is attestation of birth to back up your birth certificate up, since you were before NPC but If you were born 1992, 1993..... what you will get is birth certificate from NPC also, they are issuing both. This is to my own knowledge ooo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Mrs Og said:

It was 1992 that Nigerian government started National population census (NPC). So if you were born in 1991, 1990, 1989 upward, what you will get is attestation of birth to back up your birth certificate up, since you were before NPC but If you were born 1992, 1993..... what you will get is birth certificate from NPC also, they are issuing both. This is to my own knowledge ooo

Thank you so much for the clarification!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Hello guys, please does US Embassy verify divorce certificate? So i met this girl and she is bothered about it cause she paid someone to get the DC. She is not on visa journey so that’s why i am asking for her. Her interview is may

Yes they do. They started in February. All the Nigerian visa applicant I know of in our WhatsApp group that has been married before were placed on AP because they need to verify their divorce certificate. So she should verify and make sure what she has is Authentic.

4 minutes ago, Jennie & Joe said:

Yes they do. They started in February. All the Nigerian visa applicant I know of in our WhatsApp group that has been married before were placed on AP because they need to verify their divorce certificate. So she should verify and make sure what she has is Authentic.

Ok thanks. Will let her know. What if it’s not? What can she do to rectify it cause I think that’s what she submitted during application and to NVC too

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Hello guys, please does US Embassy verify divorce certificate? So i met this girl and she is bothered about it cause she paid someone to get the DC. She is not on visa journey so that’s why i am asking for her. Her interview is may

Yes they do.. I know cause it happened to my in-laws.. apparently someone who had the same name with him was divorced on the same day.. so at the interview they query him to verify which one was his.. there is no way around this one

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Ok thanks. Will let her know. What if it’s not? What can she do to rectify it cause I think that’s what she submitted during application and to NVC too

She has to willing admit that she sent fraudulent paperwork before the councilor finds out.. then apply for a waiver.. this can result in a lifetime ban from the US

Timeline
4 hours ago, Garnet said:

Pls what’s the number for the WhatsApp group, I would love to register 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Binbin22 said:

She has to willing admit that she sent fraudulent paperwork before the councilor finds out.. then apply for a waiver.. this can result in a lifetime ban from the US

With the state of things now, there is no other way than to be legit and don’t claim what you are not  cos they will vett you from head to toe , and once you caught it may lead to a life ban 

6 hours ago, Garnet said:

Yes, they verify.

If she timely retracts it, she may avoid the ban. Timely here refers to (at least) doing so before they discover it and before they make a decision on the visa.

I don't have the FAM section off-hand, but it's fundamentally the same as the USCIS policy manual's version here: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-j-chapter-3

6. Timely Retraction

As a defense to inadmissibility for fraud or willful misrepresentation, a person may show that he or she timely retracted or recanted the false statement. The effect of a timely retraction is that the misrepresentation is eliminated as if it had never happened. [30] If a person timely retracts the statement, the person is not inadmissible for fraud or willful misrepresentation.

For the retraction to be effective, it has to be voluntary and timely. [31] The applicant must correct his or her representation before being exposed by the officer or U.S. government official or before the conclusion of the proceeding during which he or she gave false testimony. A retraction can be voluntary and timely if made in response to an officer’s question during which the officer gives the applicant a chance to explain or correct a potential misrepresentation.

Admitting to the false representation after USCIS has challenged the veracity of the claim is not a timely retraction. [32] For example, an applicant’s recantation of the false testimony is neither voluntary nor timely if made a year later and only after it becomes apparent that the disclosure of the falsity of the statements is imminent. [33] A retraction or recantation is only timely if it is made in the same proceeding in which the person gives the false testimony or misrepresentation. [34] 

This will hurt her credibility either way...likely much less if she comes forward with it beforehand than waiting for them to discover it.

Credibility is not a requirement for the visa, but does play a considerable role in discretionary items like determining if the marriage is bona fide.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Good evening house, please I need your advice. My interview will be coming up on April 22, and my Police report clearance will due on 20th of April, I did it January 20th. They said the clearance is just for 3month, but some people says it can last for a year, am really confused, I don’t know what to do. To get another one or leave it like that, don’t want anything that will put me on AP. Any advice for me please?

Edited by Mrs Og

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Mrs Og said:

Good evening house, please I need your advice. My interview will be coming up on April 22, and my Police report clearance will due on 20th of April, I did it January 20th. They said the clearance is just for 3month, but some people says it can last for a year, am really confused, I don’t know what to do. To get another one or leave it like that, don’t want anything that will put me on AP. Any advice for me please?

On the Lagos website, it says they are valid for a year. I know people who have gone for interview and they didn’t have problems but if you are unsure or doubtful, just get a new one, better safe than sorry. With this Ban in place, who knows what next they will ask for. When was your DQ please?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.