Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 hours ago, Alimanu said:

The number of fraudulent documents generated there just might be a factor......but CNN won't tell you that.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 minutes ago, missileman said:

The number of fraudulent documents generated there just might be a factor......but CNN won't tell you that.  

Not necessarily but there was an issue with passports and third party issues I think! What we do know is election is coming up so it's a lot to do with politics too probably. Who knows at this point. It is a wait and see situation for all of us affected.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, missileman said:

You are right, it is known that Nigeria is considered "a high fraud country"  so that may or may not be the case. However, that is NOT the reason the current administration gave for the ban, the reason were for security issues which makes zero sense considering ONLY immigrant visas are being banned. A visa that is already extremely vetted in order to achieve. If security measures were truly the concern, then one would think all would be banned. Again it would be easier to believe had this not been implemented coincidentally during an upcoming election. Just my opinon and I'm sure you won't see that part in Fox News

Edited by S&Pro

The issue I have with the chart in that video (it's the cover photo for it, so it stuck out) is that it compares immigrants vs a host country's own population. The host country is almost always going to have a lower number than those of immigrants, on average. So take that with a grain of salt....it's not an equal comparison.

The point of it being higher with Nigerian immigrants than some other immigrants is a fair point though, IMHO.

The requirements for immigrants is always higher than those of non-immigrants. That's why (almost all) non-immigrants don't need to provide a police clearance (or often any documents at all), go through a medical exam, etc.

Everybody goes through some of the same security checks, but immigrants go through additional and other checks, also related to security.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My mom got her permanent resident visa in January before the Travel Ban on Nigeria was even announced. We are yet to get her a ticket and we're looking at March for her to come which is in a few weeks. 

Hope this stupid travel ban from trump isn't going to affect her?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Olusola said:

My mom got her permanent resident visa in January before the Travel Ban on Nigeria was even announced. We are yet to get her a ticket and we're looking at March for her to come which is in a few weeks. 

Hope this stupid travel ban from trump isn't going to affect her?

Nope. She’s not affected because her visa was issued before the Feb 24  date. 

Visas issued before the ban are not impacted.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, Paul & Mary said:

Maybe by the time you are Canadian the situation can change.

Update NVC if the still have the file or wait for the file.

Interviews are still continuing.  Technically the CO can recommend a waiver.    The CO can also change the passport during the process.

Hi there! I am a Canadian as of this morning (Amazing and just in time!)

Do you have any advice on how I can update NVC? They technically will not review my email until after my interview in March. I don't know if I can just show up with a Canadian passport when in my application, I "applied" with only a Nigerian passport. Any ideas?

Timeline
On 2/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, Paul & Mary said:

Maybe by the time you are Canadian the situation can change.

Update NVC if the still have the file or wait for the file.

Interviews are still continuing.  Technically the CO can recommend a waiver.    The CO can also change the passport during the process.

@ADW & JOP 

I was sworn in today as a CDN. So I'll have my CDN passport by my interview. I just made a comment on the thread about the next steps seeing as my interview has been scheduled in MTL.  Would you say emailing MTL or calling NVC? Please advise

Edited by TOtoVA

Timeline
7 hours ago, TOtoVA said:

@ADW & JOP 

I was sworn in today as a CDN. So I'll have my CDN passport by my interview. I just made a comment on the thread about the next steps seeing as my interview has been scheduled in MTL.  Would you say emailing MTL or calling NVC? Please advise

I emailed MTL and they responded within 2 days. Your file is now with MTL so I doubt calling NVC would be of any help. You can try emailing Montreal, but I suspect they will tell you to update your status at the time of your interview.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ADW & JOP said:

I emailed MTL and they responded within 2 days. Your file is now with MTL so I doubt calling NVC would be of any help. You can try emailing Montreal, but I suspect they will tell you to update your status at the time of your interview.

Thank you, I just emailed Montreal.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Has anybody been able to confirm that the expanded presidential proclamation ban impacts K-1 visas as well?

I have been under the assumption that it does, until I read this today on the Myanmar embassy website:

https://mm.usembassy.gov/faq-on-212f-visa-restrictions-for-burma-under-presidential-proclamation/

"Q: Will these new restrictions affect fiancé visas or asylee and refugee following-to-join spouse and children (V92 and V93, respectively)?
A: No. The Proclamation only restricts the entry of immigrant and diversity visa applicants from the subject countries."

The K-1 is technically not classified as an immigrant visa although in all practicality, it has immigration intent.  Maybe this technicality is allowing K-1 to be excluded from the ban?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 2/1/2020 at 11:53 AM, Mike E said:

Based on the reasoning used in the Proclamation as to why B1/b2 visas were not affected (namely that the USA’s immigration laws give the executive branch more authority to expel undesirable visitors) I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that K-1 will be exempt.  

After the 90 days expire and the AOS application is received, the k-1 holder has an authorized presence.  So presumably it is much easier to expel an undesirable K-1 holder under a pending AOS than a I-551 holder.  

And my prediction, at least for K-1 visas processed in Myanmar for Myanmar citizens turns out to be true.  

https://mm.usembassy.gov/faq-on-212f-visa-restrictions-for-burma-under-presidential-proclamation/

Q: Will these new restrictions affect fiancé visas or asylee and refugee following-to-join spouse and children (V92 and V93, respectively)?
A: No. The Proclamation only restricts the entry of immigrant and diversity visa applicants from the subject countries.

A K-1 Visa is a non-immigrant Visa.  K-1s can be removedas easily (or nearly so) as B-1s and B-2s.  So it makes sense. 

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.