Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
49 minutes ago, damdam77 said:

I have a question in that regard. What are the set of circumstances that actually qualifies the interviewed for a waiver in the eyes of the CO?

If the person meets all the other qualifications for that visa class and the ban is the only reason they would be denied. Basically under normal circumstances the person would have been approved if the ban was not in place. Then they will do additional background checks. It’s up to the CO to consider the person for the waiver. 

Edited by PatLuvO

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, PatLuvO said:

If the person meets all the other qualifications for that visa class and the ban is the only reason they would be denied. Basically under normal circumstances the person would have been approved if the ban was not in place. Then they will do additional background checks. It’s up to the CO to consider the person for the waiver. 

So how long would the additional background checks take ordinarily and what would they be looking for? Criminal or financial issues or what?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
28 minutes ago, damdam77 said:

So how long would the additional background checks take ordinarily and what would they be looking for? Criminal or financial issues or what?

They want to ensure the person isn’t linked to any terrorist groups or pose a threat to United States. They want to verify the person is truly who they say they are. In regards to Nigeria specifically they want to ensure the person was truly born in Nigeria and not someone with false documents pretending to be Nigerian.  I don’t know how long the extra check takes you can read this thread or the other travel ban thread to get a better understanding of that process. Angel4Love gave a very detailed review of her experience at the consulate when she had her interview. She recommended that when going for the interview to bring as much documentation as possible that proves you grew up in Nigeria for example WAEC exam results etc. 

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 8/6/2020 at 3:36 PM, Twice_Ola said:

You may qualify for an expedite processing.  Request it through  nvcexpedite@state.gov .

A big thanks to @ twice_ola. This is to report that I sent an email as advised here and I got a response after a week that they are reviewing my case but they also stated that the final outcome will depend on what is obtainable in my local Embassy. All US citizens should please join hands to get their Congressmen and women to open the embassy in Nigeria.  A friend's son just got student's visa from US Embassy in Johannesburg  SA even when they have more COVID 19 cases so why is the embassy in Nigeria refusing to open.

Timeline
6 hours ago, PatLuvO said:

They want to ensure the person isn’t linked to any terrorist groups or pose a threat to United States. They want to verify the person is truly who they say they are. In regards to Nigeria specifically they want to ensure the person was truly born in Nigeria and not someone with false documents pretending to be Nigerian.  I don’t know how long the extra check takes you can read this thread or the other travel ban thread to get a better understanding of that process. Angel4Love gave a very detailed review of her experience at the consulate when she had her interview. She recommended that when going for the interview to bring as much documentation as possible that proves you grew up in Nigeria for example WAEC exam results etc. 

Thanks a bundle. This really explains a lot of the questions I have on this. One thing I know for sure is that anyone who was ever issued a B1/2 almost automatically gets an approval unless they have any pending issues. I just hope the embassy opens so they can clear up this case backlog soon. It's taking almost forever now. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ukaa said:

A big thanks to @ twice_ola. This is to report that I sent an email as advised here and I got a response after a week that they are reviewing my case but they also stated that the final outcome will depend on what is obtainable in my local Embassy. All US citizens should please join hands to get their Congressmen and women to open the embassy in Nigeria.  A friend's son just got student's visa from US Embassy in Johannesburg  SA even when they have more COVID 19 cases so why is the embassy in Nigeria refusing to open.

This is good but from past experience they've not been honouring expedite requests from Nigeria citing that they won't want a situation that will be unfair to the people waiting on the queue before you. But I guess that would also depend on whether you have an iron clad reason to ask for the expedite. Best of luck. 

Filed: E-2 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
5 minutes ago, damdam77 said:

This is good but from past experience they've not been honouring expedite requests from Nigeria citing that they won't want a situation that will be unfair to the people waiting on the queue before you. But I guess that would also depend on whether you have an iron clad reason to ask for the expedite. Best of luck. 

An approved Applicant is aging out and it was one criteria for expedited action and exemption.  Please join us to pray for God's mercies.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ukaa said:

An approved Applicant is aging out and it was one criteria for expedited action and exemption.  Please join us to pray for God's mercies.

Seems like a valid reason for expedite. Let's just hope for the best.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
15 hours ago, PatLuvO said:

Unfortunately, even after approval at USCIS,  and NVC,  it is still the CO that has our lives in their hands. All we can do is pray, and hope they see fit that we can be together. GOD help us all! My husband and I both are struggling with being depressed over all this. We just want to start our lives together just like everyone else when they are married.🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Timeline
13 hours ago, Ukaa said:

I wish you all the best. They should respond in about a week. Prayer is the master key to get the Lord's favor on this.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Twice_Ola said:

I wish you all the best. They should respond in about a week. Prayer is the master key to get the Lord's favor on this.

Yes, I don't understand why they can't open the embassy in Nigeria. Is your case at the embassy already? Last I checked our case is still at NVC. Why isn't it being sent to the consulate in Lagos? Is it because the embassy is still closed. My husband and I pray every day for good news. God is in control! Best of luck to you! Who did you email?

Edited by Patricia Owuh

Timeline
1 minute ago, Patricia Owuh said:

Yes, I don't understand why they can't open the embassy in Nigeria. Is your case at the embassy already? Last I checked our case is still at NVC. Why isn't it being sent to the consulate in Lagos? Is it because the embassy is still closed. My husband and I pray every day for good news. God is in control! Best of luck to you! Who did you email?

Our case is at nvc too. For now we just hope the ban doesn't extend beyond December.  Once the embassy opens they will conduct interviews but will not issue visa (unless the case qualify for a waiver) which is for very necessary cases.

Time move by fast, we just have to hang in there

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Twice_Ola said:

Our case is at nvc too. For now we just hope the ban doesn't extend beyond December.  Once the embassy opens they will conduct interviews but will not issue visa (unless the case qualify for a waiver) which is for very necessary cases.

Time move by fast, we just have to hang in there

I am wondering what the exact qualifications for a waiver are. Does your case qualify? It's so confusing, and unfair. We are 3 years into this journey and I haven't seen my husband in one year today. We're just trying to stay strong and pray that things will be okay.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Patricia Owuh said:

I am wondering what the exact qualifications for a waiver are. Does your case qualify? It's so confusing, and unfair. We are 3 years into this journey and I haven't seen my husband in one year today. We're just trying to stay strong and pray

We never can tell until an interview is set. That's why i said prayer is the only thing right now. My husband hasn't been able to meet his son and its been 2years 😭...

Single motherhood is damn hard in the US....

Edited by Twice_Ola

Timeline
1 minute ago, Twice_Ola said:

We never can tell until an interview is set. That's why i said prayer is the only thing right now. My husband hasn't been able to meet his son and its been 2years 😭...

Single motherhood is damn hard in the US....

I am sorry you are having to go through this without your husband. You are right, all we can do is pray, have faith, and believe that the outcome will be in our favor! God Bless!😥

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.