Koko bongo

Trump's Travel Ban Mega Thread

2,378 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hrmjoevii said:

Good evening everyone

for Cr1 visa holder are they eligible For the upcoming flight from Lagos to the us on Ethiopian air comming July 16th and 23rd 2020? Its urgent and the visa category expires in August.. 

Yes you should be able to if you have a valid visa. Contact Ethiopian Airlines directly to purchase.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Cyndy&Onyi said:

@NatashaK1 @PatLuvO

Thanks so much for posting this! Is there a forum/thread specifically for Nigerians who are filing K1 and K2 visas? My sister recently filed her K2 visa for her husband in February and I wanted to share this forum with her as a resource. I wasn't sure if people are still getting approved and processed with the

1. Nigerian Travel Ban from Trump,

2. Immigration Suspension from Trump

3. Slow down of processing and interviews due to Covid 19,

4. Closure of embassies.

Is there a forum or do you all have information about this? I am trying to help her but K2 is a bit different from my situation of when I applied for K1. I'm also in a different stage with my own husband as we are awaiting his green card. Any help for me to provide to my sister is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,
Up to the point where the Lagos embassy closed for Covid 19 people were getting approved for K1 visas. Right now the embassy is still closed and not doing routine visa procedures. USCIS is still processing petitions. Did she receive her NOA2 yet? Is there a specific question she has?  If so she should join and ask it and those that are knowledgeable will provide answers.

Here is link to a helpful guide for K1 for Nigeria 

Edited by PatLuvO

7 hours ago, Cyndy&Onyi said:

1. Nigerian Travel Ban from Trump,

Does not impact K-1. The FAM confirms this:

https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030214.html

K visas are nonimmigrant visas and therefore are treated as such for PP 9645 purposes and not subject to PP 9983.

PP 9983 is the EO with the Nigerian travel ban.

2. Immigration Suspension from Trump

All realistic signs are that K-1 is not impacted. A few people got responses from various consulates that said it was, but these are likely mistakes as others got the exact opposite response, and the wording of the EO does not suggest that they are.

Some people have actually been issued K-1 visas since the EO via an emergency appointment.

K-1s in areas impacted by the physical presence bans (i.e. much of Europe, Brazil, etc.) are both impacted and not impacted by those...

K-1 itself is not banned by those, but a fiance/fiancee is not exempt from traveling on them either. So they would need to go to another country for 14+ days first, then enter the US.

But the enforcement of that EO indicates that consulates in those areas won't generally process them either to help comply with the EO.

3. Slow down of processing and interviews due to Covid 19,

4. Closure of embassies.

This is all local...keep checking the embassy's website for updates.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So the travel state dept tweeted this some hours ago. The resumption for July 15th is still quite tentative but I hope they follow through. Also, final reopening still boils down to each country's embassy. 

IMG_20200712_133220_871.JPG

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hrmjoevii said:

Its urgent and the cr1 visa category expires in August.. will they renew the visa based on the fact that covid 19 made the visa unusable 

Read the thread a few pages back.. u will see flights coming up for next week.. Try to get out before it expires.. so some research and digging 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hrmjoevii said:

Its urgent and the cr1 visa category expires in August.. will they renew the visa based on the fact that covid 19 made the visa unusable 

They won’t renew you would have to get a new one issued. If you go back a few pages you will see what’s involved to get a new visa issued.  Contact the embassy  if you don’t think you will be able to get out before it expires. You should try your best to get out before it expires if you can.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, PatLuvO said:

They won’t renew you would have to get a new one issued. If you go back a few pages you will see what’s involved to get a new visa issued.  Contact the embassy  if you don’t think you will be able to get out before it expires. You should try your best to get out before it expires if you can.

Because when the embassy opens back up it may take a while to get anything done because of the backlog.. so now will be better to save yourself some  headache 

Timeline

for Cr1 visa holder are they eligible For the upcoming flight from Lagos to the us on Ethiopian air comming July 16th and 23rd? Bcos this mail blow I got in my mail says only lpr and citizens are allowed .. my questions is having a cr1 visa would not be a problem at the port of entry in Washington

20200712_173502.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Oman
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Hrmjoevii said:

for Cr1 visa holder are they eligible For the upcoming flight from Lagos to the us on Ethiopian air comming July 16th and 23rd? Bcos this mail blow I got in my mail says only lpr and citizens are allowed .. my questions is having a cr1 visa would not be a problem at the port of entry in Washington

20200712_173502.jpg

No it won't be a problem. Other airlines too like KLM, Emirates and Airfrance are evacuating Immigrants to the United States... Don't wait for it to be reissued, it might take forever. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Hrmjoevii said:

20200712_173502.jpg

Have you contacted the airline? They are the ones in charge of these flights not the US Mission. 

Timeline

Thank you for all your response and I really appreciate it.. I got this in the mail last night and the embassy here in Lagos keeps modifying their mail..  now in this mail they said in the paragraph that Only U.S. Citizens and those who already have U.S. Legal Permanent Residency (LPR) status, also known as a green card holder, are allowed to book a ticket for one of these flights.  All other immigrant and non-immigrant visa holders are not eligible for these evacuation flights... 

20200713_075114.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Oman
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hrmjoevii said:

Thank you for all your response and I really appreciate it.. I got this in the mail last night and the embassy here in Lagos keeps modifying their mail..  now in this mail they said in the paragraph that Only U.S. Citizens and those who already have U.S. Legal Permanent Residency (LPR) status, also known as a green card holder, are allowed to book a ticket for one of these flights.  All other immigrant and non-immigrant visa holders are not eligible for these evacuation flights... 

20200713_075114.jpg

Go to Airfrance office or Ethiopia airline and book their evaluation flight

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.